Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 AM

26 posts, read 89,429 times

Advertisements

Good morning, does anyone know of a place to get a good Chicago style deep dish pizza in or near Vermont? Please do not say Uno's. I am looking for a real handmade deep dish. I have tried many places that advertise a deep dish in Vermont, but they are normally what I would call a thin crust, just not as thin as their normal crust.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,677 times
It might not exist.

For the same reason I don't look for good New England Clam Chowder when I'm in CA and why people are unsuccessful finding "real Mexican" in Vermont.......I don't think anyone from Chicago who was successfully rockin' deep dish pizza would or has decided to move to VT and open a joint......

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM

26 posts, read 89,429 times
Thanks, that is what I guessed. I am also not sure they could stay open here as Vermonters prefer a crust that can be fed through a printer.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM

428 posts, read 643,356 times
mmm, thin crust...
as a fan of the aforementioned thin crusts i can only think of zachary's as having thick crust.
there's one in waterbury and one in south burlington, there may be more.
hope you find it!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Here's my take.......your mileage may vary......

I grew up on New Haven apizza which is basically the same family as NYC pizza, while deep dish is called pizza, to many on the east coast it is a different dish entirely, good in its own right but not necessarily pizza. Most "thicker" crust is most likely going to be "Greek" pizza in the northeast, slightly different animal than Italian based thin crust apizza. Then we have the "CA style pizza" which is more free form in nature, Positive Pie, Parker Pie, American Flatbread etc. nice thin crust cooked in a nice hot fire (wood fired brick ovens are often the name of the game) with everything under the sun available as a topping with some very good combinations.

Here in New England, Chicago Deep Dish is available in Chicago......just like "real Mexican" food is available where there is a concentration of "real Mexicans"......which isn't exactly a description of VT :-)

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
Ramunto's Pizza Middlebury

offers thick crust

Williston, VT « Ramunto's Brick Oven Pizza

http://ramuntosrutland.com/wordpress/

Making a deep dish pizza pie is on my to do list...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Deep Dish Pizza in Vermont-th.jpeg  

Last edited by Summerz; 02-01-2013 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: added pizza pic I found

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM

We hit Ramunto's in St J all the time.....great brick oven pizza......their version of "deep dish" is nothing like Chicago deep dish.....Chicago deep dish, someone correct me if I'm wrong..... is a a light but thick crust, then cheese, then sausage, then tomatoes then sauce then a bit of parmesan or romano on top......about 12-14" across and about 2-2.5" deep.....

Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM

72 posts, read 99,798 times
Default you don't know what thin-crust pizza is!

Quote:
a crust that can be fed through a printer.
Nuh-uh!!
I have never found a crust like that in VT!
Most places I have tried have what I would call a "cake"-like crust: crunchy and puffy, similar to the many Greek-run "XYZ House of Pizza" places in southern NE (like Logs&Dogs mentioned). Or, a more "foccaccia"-style crust (still puffy, but more chewy).

I have never found a pizza anywhere in the US to be as thin as the pizza served in most of Italy.
If you are familiar with the Bertucci's chain, they are close, but Italian pizza is thinner still… It cooks in 2-3 minutes. We went to Pizza Verita' in Burlington: good but an extremely expensive evening overall. Flavor=pretty authentic but still not a super-thin crust, more like a Bertucci's crust; Sarducci's in Montpelier seemed similar. I know this doesn't help the OP, but I figured I'd just report in. Pizzeria Regina in Boston had a pretty thin crust, and the dough was extraordinarily tasty, just as a benchmark, but it was far greasier and cheesier than an Italian pie would be.

There are a lot of things I figured I would have to give up upon moving here (good Chinese food is another).

I would advise you to simply try and duplicate your favorite foods at home; that's what I do. I just made bialys at home the other week (never seen them in VT), and they came out great! Wood-fired pizza oven construction scheduled for the spring here in Randolph…

Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM

ladelfina - The closest you will probably come is either the famous pizza joints in New Haven or select places in NYC.
It's hard to get crust any thinner than Pepe's and Sallys apizza in New Haven, then throw it into a 900 degree coal fired oven (used to be coke fired until coke became hard to get in teh 60's or so)...and there you go....as thin as you can really make dough.....

Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
The Italian North End in Boston is a good bet for the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont