Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 AM

157 posts, read 186,617 times

Advertisements

So learn how to make money online, or make your money elsewhere and RETIRE to vermont. At least they do recognize the fact that the 2nd amendment means that everyone can legally carry a concealed firearm. That goes a long ways, in my book, but i'd never tolerate the winters there. :-) Same is true of snow and ice anywhere, tho. I also heat heat and bugs, so I move twice a year. it's not hard. Just remember, you dont own things, your things own YOU. So keep the number of things small.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM

23 posts, read 41,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughdontevenbother View Post
Dont get me started on "NEK" people. Jay peak has/will invested over $500 million to develop that area and the locals **** and moan about destroying the land and the jobs arent meaningful blah blah, but like you said theres literally no jobs there and everyone is on Welfare. Guess thats how they like it. Why work when our tax dollars can support them? Then they can sit on their front porch drinking a 40
I live in the NEK (about 15 minutes from the Canadian border), and unfortunately, I have to agree, it's extremely difficult to make ends meet up here, well, unless you are on welfare. Newport is the welfare capital of the state and VT pushes welfare on you like crazy. We work out butts off just to try to pay the bills and raise our kids. Who cares how pretty the state is if you are so stressed you can't enjoy it. People travel here for the skiing etc., Jay Peak, Stowe, Burke, etc. and the people who actually live here can't afford to go because we are busy working to pay for those on welfare.

My husband and I are leaving VT just as soon as our middle son graduates high school. I can't wait to leave.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM

23 posts, read 41,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Move to Texas like I did New England is going downhill. Thank the liberals you get what you vote for
LOL! Funny you should mention Texas as that is one of the states that we are considering! I'm very conservative and VT is so liberal that I just can't stand the politics here in VT anymore.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM

26,479 posts, read 46,796,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn C View Post
LOL! Funny you should mention Texas as that is one of the states that we are considering! I'm very conservative and VT is so liberal that I just can't stand the politics here in VT anymore.
Texas is the polar opposite of Vermont- very lassiez faire... I'd do a lot of research in advance. One big issue was that many owned properties in developments around DFW Metroplex yet did not own mineral rights beneath their land. Then, big energy companies can come in and start drilling gas and oil with rigs and ancillary pad sites on top of the development itself with little to no buffer zone. Also, the heat and humidity in Texas is brutal as it the latitude is very low as well as the elevation in most of the populated areas. Politics and social culture are the polar opposite of New England. Texas has jobs and that is the one big factor that leads to in-migration. If it wasn't for that fact few people would want to live there, particularly outside of the biggest metros.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,661,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn C View Post

I am surprised the liberals in VT still allow CC of firearms.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,918,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Texas is the polar opposite of Vermont- very lassiez faire... I'd do a lot of research in advance. One big issue was that many owned properties in developments around DFW Metroplex yet did not own mineral rights beneath their land. Then, big energy companies can come in and start drilling gas and oil with rigs and ancillary pad sites on top of the development itself with little to no buffer zone. Also, the heat and humidity in Texas is brutal as it the latitude is very low as well as the elevation in most of the populated areas. Politics and social culture are the polar opposite of New England. Texas has jobs and that is the one big factor that leads to in-migration. If it wasn't for that fact few people would want to live there, particularly outside of the biggest metros.
Most of the Jobs don't pay that much like 25-40k a year.....and Texas is broke...they also receive federal welfare and give out a ton of corporate welfare,

Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 AM

444 posts, read 789,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Most of the Jobs don't pay that much like 25-40k a year.....and Texas is broke...they also receive federal welfare and give out a ton of corporate welfare,
Anyone thinking of moving to Texas should be aware of the "Texas on the Brink" state rankings. Here are some of them (out of 50 states):

A. Education
Percent of Population 25 and Older with a High School Diploma - 50th
High School Graduation Rate - 43rd
State & Local Expenditures per Pupil in Public Schools – 44th

B. Health
Percent of Population Uninsured - 1st
Percent of Population with Employer-Based Health Insurance - 48th
Per Capita State Spending on Mental Health - 50th

C. Health and Well-Being
Percent Living Below Federal Poverty Level - 4th
Percent of Population Who Visit the Dentist - 46th

D. Women's Health
Percent of Non-Elderly Women with Health Insurance - 50th
Percent of Pregnant Women Receiving Prenatal Care in First Trimester - 50th
Women’s Voter Turnout - 49th

E. Access to Capital
Average Credit Score - 49th

F. Environment
Amount of Carbon Dioxide Emissions - 1st
Amount of Volatile Organic Compounds Released into Air - 1st
Amount of Toxic Chemicals Released into Water - 1st

G. Workforce
Workers’ Compensation Coverage - 50th

H. Public Safety
Number of Executions - 1st

Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM

1,345 posts, read 1,385,086 times
And don't forget the ongoing drought:
In 2013, Texas Drought Could Be Worst Ever In Some Areas, Climatologist Says

or dismiss too quickly the reality that in the summer of 2011 (for instance) we/they had 90 days of temps over 100 degrees (meaning, usually, 106-110 or so). You get cabin fever every bit as badly when it's that hot for that long, as you do in long cold winter. GraniteStater was right on the money, calling it "brutal."

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 AM

19 posts, read 171,682 times
So Texas sucks like Vermont? Lol "Vermonters" or natives like I like to call them, frown upping anyone who suggests more business or anything to produce jobs. They want to eat the scenery. It's doesn't pay the bills. But trying to tell them that is futile. Vermont will be empty an broke within 20-30 years. All the old people will die off and the young will leave. Facts are facts. I like getting out in the country. But I still need a place to buy milk and a place to take my kid when she's sick. Vermonters don't want those things. If you need milk, get it from a cow. If you're sick, oh well might as well just die. That's a Vermonter for you

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM

613 posts, read 1,056,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Anyone thinking of moving to Texas should be aware of the "Texas on the Brink" state rankings. Here are some of them (out of 50 states):

A. Education
Percent of Population 25 and Older with a High School Diploma - 50th
High School Graduation Rate - 43rd
State & Local Expenditures per Pupil in Public Schools – 44th

B. Health
Percent of Population Uninsured - 1st
Percent of Population with Employer-Based Health Insurance - 48th
Per Capita State Spending on Mental Health - 50th

C. Health and Well-Being
Percent Living Below Federal Poverty Level - 4th
Percent of Population Who Visit the Dentist - 46th

D. Women's Health
Percent of Non-Elderly Women with Health Insurance - 50th
Percent of Pregnant Women Receiving Prenatal Care in First Trimester - 50th
Women’s Voter Turnout - 49th

E. Access to Capital
Average Credit Score - 49th

F. Environment
Amount of Carbon Dioxide Emissions - 1st
Amount of Volatile Organic Compounds Released into Air - 1st
Amount of Toxic Chemicals Released into Water - 1st

G. Workforce
Workers’ Compensation Coverage - 50th

H. Public Safety
Number of Executions - 1st
Im not saying what you posted isnt true but coming from up north if you work hard and are smart with your money you can make a good life for yourself here. Up north taxes are so high its tough if your middle class. Texas is so big its hard to compare isolated regions like east Texas to the metroplex. I make around 50k have my own house, dabble in stocks, Im living the dream out here in Boston Id be pay check to pay check. To each his own I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont