Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Okay, so a BMW with rear-wheel drive is okay as long as I have four snow tires?

Greenie
Like the poster ahead of me said, if you're going to be living in Burlington or one of its suburbs, you'll probably be OK. Out in the hinterlands, you probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,557,126 times
You know, there are other paved towns outside Burlington. :P :P

I know lots of people in my area driving RWD BMW's, they get along just fine with snow tires. What do you guys think people drove before FWD & AWD became so common? RWD cars carried people all over New England for DECADES.

I can't repeat it enough.... snow tires, snow tires, snow tires, snow tires, snow tires, snow tires, snow tires.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
[quote=Sporin;1875002]You know, there are other paved towns outside Burlington. :P :P QUOTE]

There are???

And I'll second.....snow tires!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
If you know how to drive in the snow, and you are living in or around Burlington, you could be okay. Anywhere outside of that, you might not be.

We've had a couple of rear wheel drive Bimmers for a while down here (NY) and it was okay, but we also don't get anywhere near as much snow and we know how to drive in it. Go down to a few towns over where every one has one, and you'll see them skidding and sliding all over the highways, main streets and side streets.
I agree. I'm aware of rear wheel drive in the snow, I tried it. I'm aware which models have rear wheel drive too. I see them trying to go up hills and watch them turn sideways. While I'm somewhat fascinated watching them, wondering how cars can climb while pretty much sideways, I have to remind myself that they could come barrelling down toward me at any moment.

You are correct, it's very important to know how to steer rear-wheel cars on ice or in snow. Many people don't. Police cars are very heavy and many
are custom, built lower to the ground.

RWD. Burlington, South Burlington MAYBE.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,419,045 times
Sounds like I'll be okay with the bimmer. Somehow I think they're fine with snow tires. I drove a mazda miata in the snow with snow tired and managed okay.

Greenie

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,557,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I agree. I'm aware of rear wheel drive in the snow, I tried it. I'm aware which models have rear wheel drive too. I see them trying to go up hills and watch them turn sideways. While I'm somewhat fascinated watching them, wondering how cars can climb while pretty much sideways, I have to remind myself that they could come barrelling down toward me at any moment.

You are correct, it's very important to know how to steer rear-wheel cars on ice or in snow. Many people don't. Police cars are very heavy and many
are custom, built lower to the ground.

RWD. Burlington, South Burlington MAYBE.
Police cars actually sit on taller springs to compensate for all the heavy equipment they carry, they aren't lower.. and being lower wouldn't effect winter traction.

Let me be clear, I am not advocating that everyone drive Mustangs as winter beaters. I'm just saying if you already own a car that happens to be RWD, and you aren't, living in the boonies, then a set of snow tires will most likely get you through just fine. You don't need a AWD or FWD car to get around Vermont in the winter unless you spend a lot of time on dirt roads or in the mountains.

Just trying to temper the winter driving hysteria, nothing more. By all means, drive what you want and are comfortable with.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
It is quite possible to get around just fine with traditional RWD passenger cars in the winter. As a cop in Anchorage we used Chevy Caprices and later Ford Crown Vics with little problems except in cases of heavy snowfall and drifting conditions. The basic difference with cruisers was the beefed up suspension to help with cornering and extended durability. Winter driving actually involves more in driver skill and technique. However, this does not mean I would trade in my Subaru. The AWD and standard transmission really helps on roads with curves and inclines.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,419,045 times
Thanks everyone for your advice. i really appreciate it.

Greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont