Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 AM

18,361 posts, read 26,564,662 times

Advertisements

State not federal changes. Shumlin and the democrats are pushing a state single payer system here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,894,676 times
how about line up a job, and then rent wherever that ends up so you make sure you like it. Darmouth is a cute town, much different than Burlington for sure.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,385,240 times
Vermont is planning to adopt a single payer system. The state is of course not sure how to pay for it, but a lot of people think it is a really cool and progressive idea. Knowing our legislators, they will probably go ahead with it regardless of not having a sound financial plan in place.

Vermont Continues Push Toward Single Payer System Without Funding Clarity | Heartlander Magazine

Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel*Faith View Post
I'm not sure what some of you are referring to. Why would the health care changes change the jobs of RN's that much? They are getting paid by the private sector, not the US government or states. Unless I'm understanding this incorrectly, Obamacare is creating a socialized medicare system for the poor, I can see this affecting the tax payers, but why does this change anything with how private healthcare businesses pay their workers?
Health care is effected by the Federal and State government. In Vermont like most states, hospitals can't spend and charge how they want. To a degree they are not private sector. To simplify this (it is a very complicated process), hospitals have to submit their budgets to a state board for approval. This includes operating, improvement/expansion budgets, etc. Then there is what insurance will reimburse for hospital stays and procedures. The federal single payer plan takes this one step further. The costs are going to be more controlled (or I should say 'will' be controlled) with a single payer system in place and insurance companies are going to have to be competitive with what the government system offers as far as cost. This is a simple and short explanation, but this effects health care jobs primarily at the hospital level. How?, the focus of health care will be on preventative medicine and keeping people out of the hospital. This is why outpatient care is and will continue to grow. We were already seeing these effects in hospitals before Obamacare was a thought. There are certain diagnosis's that hospitals do not get reimbursed for and others where there is no reimbursement if a patient is readmitted within 30 days of discharge.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

150 posts, read 218,143 times
The VT legislature has passed laws that will force private insurers out of the state in the next few years in favor of a single payer plan, which will be publicly financed. Whether this will change the compensation, working conditions, etc for those who work in medicine (eg RNs) remains to be seen. The landscape for health care in VT will be profoundly different than in other states though if the regulations are imposed.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,401,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
And you do not have to live in NH to work at DHMC. It is 10 minutes from the VT border so you can live rurally and be 30 mins from work. (And the commute is sweet as there is not a lot of traffic on Rte 91).

Why would anyone want to work in NH and live in Vermont? If you do that you have to pay Vermont income taxes. If you live in NH there is no income tax to pay.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,401,788 times
Quote:
I imagine that VT isn't any different from any other state in the US, and there should be plenty of jobs for both RN's and CNA's.
You "imagined" wrong.

Why is it that people that have never been to Vermont or spent a weekend there once think it's some kind of oh so quaint rural utopia that the can move to an escape all of the problems they face at their current location or anywhere else on earth?

The fact is that Vermont is a horrible place to live. There are no decent paying jobs there. It is one of, if not the most anti business states in the nation. It gives new meaning to the word boring.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,385,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Why would anyone want to work in NH and live in Vermont? If you do that you have to pay Vermont income taxes. If you live in NH there is no income tax to pay.
Actually I can think of a reason. If you own your home and your income is low enough, you will not have to pay the full property taxes assessed on your house. VT has a generous property tax abatement program for anyone earing less than $90k a year. NH does have a property tax relief program but it is nowhere near as generous.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 119,992 times
Well, as for the new healthcare system for Vermont, I'm hoping it works out for the best - not only for VT but for the entire US eventually. I'm a CNA without healthcare coverage myself, so obviously something isn't working out right now for our healthcare system. I just hope this new Single Payer system will cover acupuncture, chiropractic, and other alternative medicines. My wife has a form of heart disease and MVP, and she was able to get treated with acupuncture by Filipino Nuns trained in China, and it really worked wonders for her without any side-effects or detrimental changes to her health due to medications - not to mention it was cheap - but that was in the Philippines.

As for arguing with New Hampshire conservatives about the quality of life in Vermont, I don't care to go there with you, sorry. If Vermont is such a horrible place to live, then I guess we'll learn that the hard way and I'll think back to that moment on the internet when a guy from NH told me how much it sucked and think - he told me so.

My new question is, I've been trying to find apartments in Burlington, Montpelier, Waterbury, Richmond, or any areas in between the cities. Craigslist, and other common websites to advertise rentals, don't seem to have many listings for those areas unfortunately. Can anyone recommend a good way to search for apartments for the Vermont areas? I'm guessing most of the landlords use the newspaper for ads since they're not using many popular websites to do so?

From your experiences, how are most landlords in VT with people moving into the state? We're hoping to first sign a lease and establish a place to live before we actually start working, unless we're lucky enough to find an employer who is interested in us before we actually move there. As both an RN and CNA, I doubt we'll have much trouble finding some kind of work, and I'm hoping a landlord will be understand about that.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,959,260 times
Quote:
Well, as for the new healthcare system for Vermont, I'm hoping it works out for the best - not only for VT but for the entire US eventually. I'm a CNA without healthcare coverage myself, so obviously something isn't working out right now for our healthcare system. I just hope this new Single Payer system will cover acupuncture, chiropractic, and other alternative medicines. My wife has a form of heart disease and MVP, and she was able to get treated with acupuncture by Filipino Nuns trained in China, and it really worked wonders for her without any side-effects or detrimental changes to her health due to medications - not to mention it was cheap - but that was in the Philippines.

As for arguing with New Hampshire conservatives about the quality of life in Vermont, I don't care to go there with you, sorry. If Vermont is such a horrible place to live, then I guess we'll learn that the hard way and I'll think back to that moment on the internet when a guy from NH told me how much it sucked and think - he told me so.

My new question is, I've been trying to find apartments in Burlington, Montpelier, Waterbury, Richmond, or any areas in between the cities. Craigslist, and other common websites to advertise rentals, don't seem to have many listings for those areas unfortunately. Can anyone recommend a good way to search for apartments for the Vermont areas? I'm guessing most of the landlords use the newspaper for ads since they're not using many popular websites to do so?

From your experiences, how are most landlords in VT with people moving into the state? We're hoping to first sign a lease and establish a place to live before we actually start working, unless we're lucky enough to find an employer who is interested in us before we actually move there. As both an RN and CNA, I doubt we'll have much trouble finding some kind of work, and I'm hoping a landlord will be understand about that.
NH conservatives had a tendency to gloss over their rather high property taxes, though..

Burlington, and the Fletcher Allen Health Care Center ( w/the UVM College of Medicine), would be your best bet, along with Dartmouth , and also Central VT Hospital in Berlin, near Barre/Montpelier. The most interesting place to live would be Burlington, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont