Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM

63 posts, read 138,474 times

Advertisements

Bennington is going to give you more of the dumpy areas than Brattleboro. Keene is commutable to Bellows Falls, has lots of shops and stores and has the college energy going on. Its not Cally but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhuu View Post
What about Bennington? I think Brattleboro has the hippy thing going on. I read the reviews of the Vermont Country Deli and Brattleboro Food Coop on yelp and there was lots of venting about these prices are too high and the food is too healthy. The photos of Bennington look not very pretty or rustic, but sort like a more average place. There are museums and galleries things to do there if you type in to do in Bennigton into the search engine.
Christ, surely there's a Hannaford or Price Chopper in Brat too. Go there if you think the coop food's too healthy.

I grew up in Franklin County in the 90's, and I must say, in retrospect it's odd that it was such a big farming community, and yet I (the child of a non-farmer) barely ever ate any of what we produced! A few ears of corn, and the milk cartons at school, maybe. I like the fact that fresh local food is so readily available and popular these days.

That said, many Vermonters don't just enjoy local food, they practically build their entire lives around it. And I'll agree that (in certain places) you can feel like an outsider if you don't.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Christ, surely there's a Hannaford or Price Chopper in Brat too. Go there if you think the coop food's too healthy.

I grew up in Franklin County in the 90's, and I must say, in retrospect it's odd that it was such a big farming community, and yet I (the child of a non-farmer) barely ever ate any of what we produced! A few ears of corn, and the milk cartons at school, maybe. I like the fact that fresh local food is so readily available and popular these days.

That said, many Vermonters don't just enjoy local food, they practically build their entire lives around it. And I'll agree that (in certain places) you can feel like an outsider if you don't.
It makes me feel like I'm part of some fad when it comes to eating local or eating the freshest food that I can obtain. This is not a Vermont thing or even a new trend in the country, though it's made to feel that way. My family has always eaten this way. Italian cooking at it's best is VERY simple. The key is getting the best ingredients possible. Growing up we always ate what was produced locally or in our own backyard. Probably my parents being immigrants had a huge part in this. Much of the world has become Americanized, but there are vast areas and regions that are still rooted in this type of practice. It's nice to see the US getting back to it's roots as well. I think the one aspect of local produced food that has not caught up with many other regions in the world is cost.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
surely there's a Hannaford or Price Chopper in Brat too. Go there if you think the coop food's too healthy.
FYI (or for the OP's FYI),
there's both Hannaford's & Price Chopper in Brattleboro-
and soon an Aldi's grocery is also supposed to open near the Hannaford's
(not sure when it'll be ready for customers, but construction is ongoing)

Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Well I'm glad there is at least some people out there like you who feel similar. I feel like I'm going crazy here. I haven't been to Burlington but it probably is better than boring putney. And unfortunately it isn't an option now because of my significant other.
Rural living has some great benefits, but Vermont takes rural to a whole new level compared to rural Pennsylvania. The weather didn't bother me as much as it took forever to accomplish the smallest task. Simple things aren't simple in Vermont---like finding a place to buy a TV. I would have adjusted because I'm adaptable to new environments and quite content with myself. I guess it comes with maturity but I'm not overly needy of superficial interactions with strangers. Hanging out at a coffee shop does not sound appealing to me, especially where I would have very little in common with the other coffee shop patrons.

I think you're making the mistake of thinking that living in a small town with a coffee shop will make it more tolerable. It won't. Your happiness is inside of you. You won't be happy until you find some contentment inside yourself. I worry for you because you're already depressed prior to your delivery. It would be a good idea for you to read up on postpartum depression so you're prepared for it. Definitely get a car because being isolated will only make it worse. If I were in your situation, I'd be waking up to drive my husband to work so I wouldn't be stranded without a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
I swear I think Vermont and this general area is for a very specific group of people- ones who can't get enough of outdoor country activities, gardening, Eco friendly, co-ops, yoga, spinning, making maple syrup, swimming in 40 degree river water holes, freezing temperatures, yoga etc. Ugh it all gets old after a while. And yes the irony is that most of these people aren't even from Vermont.
This is interesting. Many Californians are very much like you describe---yoga, eco friendly, co-ops, etc. The others I'm aware of are superficially into physical appearances, the latest fashion, etc. If that's what you're missing, you'll never find that in Vermont. We've heard all about what you don't like doing. What type of things do you enjoy doing?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,507 times
Heb_13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have:

If you are not happy where you are it is not because of things that have made you discontent but because inside your are discontented. My help would be for you to search your inner being and find out why all this is making you not content? For in this search you might find out what is really your point of discontentment and it very well might not be the things you have stated.

I remain,

MCW

Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 AM

66 posts, read 114,651 times
I think if one had a coffee shop to go hang out in, I could make a huge difference. For example: drive husband to work, go to coffee shop, hang out and talk for friends for a while then go house stuff and errands. It can be depressing to be a full time housewife. In San Francisco there are coffee shops, but you don't see the same people there and there is nothing to having coffee alone in a coffee shop.

But, in Livermore, there is a cafe that the same people go there in the morning and hang out. They were all friendly and talked to me. I asked them about that. They would meet there and they would welcome new people also. Livermore is about an hour from san francisco, but has a small town feel. People can own horses. Horses are big in Livermore. There is cowboy vibe going on there.

Kenne sounds right, but that is New Hampshire isn't it? So, it would not really be Vermont.

Another thing is if you live a place that is not too big, but not too small, you can maybe find a group of ladies who do crafting and sewing and have like a sewing circle or a book club. Or a film watching club. If there is a small movie house that shows art films. The club members can get together and watch the films then meet in a cafe to discuss the. There are lots of possibilities. Sometimes one has to force oneself to seek them out. Brattleboro has art things going on there.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM

14 posts, read 25,807 times
The human animal has the ability to adapt to almost any situation successfully. It's all about your will to adapt. The OPs wants things that are not available in her area. It's not an uncommon situation for people new to VT. Seen this with many people over the years in many different places. Some stay and make the best of it, some leave and never look back.

My only suggestion to the op is decide where you want to be. If VT isn't your cup of tea, figure out where would be and try to get there. If you have no choice on where you can go the only option is to adapt...and a positive attitude is the first step. If you concentrate on what you don't like rather than what you do, it's destined to fail.

While my family is originally from the NEK, I've been a transplant in 7 different states and 2 Canadian Provinces and know what you're going thru.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:44 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Big country out there. Go find what you're looking for, get jobs (the hard part) and go be happy! Just the act of looking and researching for a new place means you're moving forward and that's what you need to do. Stop complaining, get off your butt and make changes. Lifes too short to be miserable.
Just make sure the real problem isn't you. Lot's of times people blame unhappiness on their location only to find out after moving that nothings changed. Some people can be unhappy living in Disneyland. . I hope you find what you're looking for!

Last edited by harpoonalt; 07-04-2013 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling....awk!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM

66 posts, read 114,651 times
I do agree but sometimes it is not possible to make the best of the situation if the situation is too difficult. So moving to a place with a coffee shop or maybe to Brattleboro or Kenne is better then trying to tough it out. OP can't take anti depressants, it is not good for the baby. But, it is important for new mothers not to be depressed. Depression runs in my family, so I have a lot experience dealing with it. I found having friends and taking some hobby or interest like even needle point, just anything is very helpful, then just living day to day, cleaning the house, that is a very depressing in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont