Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Concerned about preparation for Winter; seeking information about necessary supplies, preparing house and car, power outages, work stoppages, road preparation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,836 times

Advertisements

I agree, many folks get all nervous over snow and the roads. The only conditions I can see that could really render travel impossible for a time would be ice storms. During really bad storms, which by the way are forecast pretty well, stay off the roads unless it is absolutely necessary to travel. First of all it gives the road crews a break in getting roads cleared quicker and it eliminates the chance of getting in a wreck or being stranded. I was actually surprised last year at the rate of closures or delayed reporting times for the Feb/Mar snow we had. I work in a job where I am mission essential so a snow day will not happen, but on the other hand if we were to get the storm of the century or an ice storm I have the means to stay at work. As far as my home goes I do need a generator because of frequent power outages, but it powers all the essentials to stay comfortable and safe. My oil company also automatically schedules deliveries so that my tank is never less than half full. When the forecast calls for heavy snow I just make sure I have several days of food and fuel for the generator on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,504,998 times
Solunds like you live iin a very rural, isolated area. I didn't think Hinesburg was like that, being, I thought, a suburb of Burlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I agree, many folks get all nervous over snow and the roads. The only conditions I can see that could really render travel impossible for a time would be ice storms. During really bad storms, which by the way are forecast pretty well, stay off the roads unless it is absolutely necessary to travel. First of all it gives the road crews a break in getting roads cleared quicker and it eliminates the chance of getting in a wreck or being stranded. I was actually surprised last year at the rate of closures or delayed reporting times for the Feb/Mar snow we had. I work in a job where I am mission essential so a snow day will not happen, but on the other hand if we were to get the storm of the century or an ice storm I have the means to stay at work. As far as my home goes I do need a generator because of frequent power outages, but it powers all the essentials to stay comfortable and safe. My oil company also automatically schedules deliveries so that my tank is never less than half full. When the forecast calls for heavy snow I just make sure I have several days of food and fuel for the generator on hand.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:51 AM

41 posts, read 122,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Sounds like you live in a very rural, isolated area. I didn't think Hinesburg was like that, being, I thought, a suburb of Burlington.
Hinesburg is certainly more rural than places like South Burlington or Williston. But I've seen some rural spots in Vermont, and believe me, Hinesburg is far from that. In fact, the high school system for Williston is located in Hinesburg (CVU). There may not be Verizon service in Hinesburg, but that was something I heard from a friend of mine a few years back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmetsfan View Post
Hinesburg is certainly more rural than places like South Burlington or Williston. But I've seen some rural spots in Vermont, and believe me, Hinesburg is far from that. In fact, the high school system for Williston is located in Hinesburg (CVU). There may not be Verizon service in Hinesburg, but that was something I heard from a friend of mine a few years back. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have Verizon and the service in Hinesburg is hit or miss.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,836 times
Where I live in Hinesburg is not extremely rural or isolated, but it is 2.7 miles up a dirt road with homes well spaced apart. When lines go down and trees goes down across the road it can take some time for crews to get out and effect repairs. The town only has so many employees and vehicles to deal with snow and ice and the main roads such as Rte 116 will get dealt with first. The same applies to power crews who only have so many resources to deal with multiple locations. Last December we had a unique windshear event just over the border on the Huntington side which snapped trees and power poles in a narrow swath. It also affected the parallel road a mile away. For those in the area take a ride up Sherman Hollow Rd just west of the Audubon and take note at the size of the large hemlocks and pines which were snapped or uprooted. Twice in two years by taking my chainsaw in my truck came in handy after a storm to allow me to remove the tree from the road versus turning around and finding an alternate route. Now the mudslide with rocks and trees on Dugway Rd on the way to Joneville last year was a different matter! Even with power line vegetation control you just cannot elminate all trees and limbs which can knock out a line. I cleared out a few large pines within striking distance of the house and driveway, the rest is just part of the unknown adventure of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont