Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 PM

221 posts, read 347,671 times

Advertisements

After a year of research, in which my wife and I decided to move to vermont, and after reading some "horror stories" on this forum that made me doubt the completely different results of my research, I can tell you this after our first 48 hours in burlington:

Everyone is EXTREMELY nice, and it seems genuine and not pretentious at all. We have already made some friends - and we normally don't even like people. So far so good. Sure, it's only two days and we might change our minds, and we haven't been here long enough yet to figure out how the economy is going to treat us, but the weather is wonderful, everything is beautiful and the people friendly. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:02 PM

402 posts, read 689,527 times
Winter is coming...along with months of poor sledding! sorry!, we lived in Vt. many years and do love much of it but it's cold, dark and unpleasant much of the year. My wife discovered mud season and that's what finally did the trick in moving. happy in Arizona now.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,300,408 times
Welcome! Hope you were able to get out and enjoy this beautiful evening at the free concert in Battery Park!

Last edited by vter; 07-11-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,980,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Winter is coming...along with months of poor sledding! sorry!, we lived in Vt. many years and do love much of it but it's cold, dark and unpleasant much of the year. My wife discovered mud season and that's what finally did the trick in moving. happy in Arizona now.
Why don't you shoot the Easter Bunny too! Just because you didn't like it doesn't me they won't. Jeez....

Welcome to Vt! Burlingtons a great town. Winter can be long but you need snow to ski, snowshoe, or go sledding. Enjoy the summer!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,970,988 times
Welcome aboard, Oriz! Congrats on making the move to where you want to be. It takes some gumption to do that. My wife and I moved here in 1987. We've lived in the same house all these years and have never looked back. It hasn't always been easy, but overall it's been a helluva great ride. Good luck to ya!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM

402 posts, read 689,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Why don't you shoot the Easter Bunny too! Just because you didn't like it doesn't me they won't. Jeez....

Welcome to Vt! Burlingtons a great town. Winter can be long but you need snow to ski, snowshoe, or go sledding. Enjoy the summer!
true enough but it is a hard place to live in on many levels but to each his own!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,403,256 times
It's always nice to hear back from someone who'd considered moving here, esp. if they seem satisfied about the move.

I moved to VT from Albany NY in 1995, and while I sometimes miss the amenities
of urban environs, I'm nonetheless quite satisfied with where I've landed.
The climate suits me, I'm used to long winters because I was born & raised in Maine.
I like the compromise between rural & small town living here in SE VT, it suits me fine.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM

221 posts, read 347,671 times
Atlaw...we know winter...I've lived in boston almost 4 years, my wife has lived in milwaukee most of her life...doesn't scare us but so far weather has been great!

vter, didn't manage...but thanks!

harpoonalt thanks! at the moment we are staying at motel 6 till we find an apartment in the area(I'll go even as far as Jericho or saint albans if need be)...but everyone has treated us kindly, and we don't even feel like we got ripped off at freedom nissan buying a car lol

square and cloven thanks very much

Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,871,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
true enough but it is a hard place to live in on many levels but to each his own!
It's all relative. Every place has its challenges....

Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,198,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
After a year of research, in which my wife and I decided to move to vermont, and after reading some "horror stories" on this forum that made me doubt the completely different results of my research, I can tell you this after our first 48 hours in burlington:

Everyone is EXTREMELY nice, and it seems genuine and not pretentious at all. We have already made some friends - and we normally don't even like people. So far so good. Sure, it's only two days and we might change our minds, and we haven't been here long enough yet to figure out how the economy is going to treat us, but the weather is wonderful, everything is beautiful and the people friendly. So far so good.
Congrats to you for not letting some negativity deter you from being where you want to be. Naysayers are more common than positive people anywhere. What most people who are ALREADY in/from VT don't realize that the Mojave dessert is an improvement from a lot of places we come from. (or else they want to keep it all for themselves) Keep it in perspective "for you" and embrace a beautiful place and good luck with a new life. I can't think of anywhere better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont