Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,112 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and it has been such a wonderful place to get valuable information.

I am so confused though, and because I am in essence an "outsider" I am left in the dark about all the good places to go to in Vermont. I would not know where to look to be honest.

We are a family from Europe moving to Vermont, preferably the Burlington area, but that is only because it is an area my husband has been to, and really liked.
If there are other places nearby, I would love to hear about it too. It is all connected with my husband being able to fly home and commute between his work and his family.

My husband works in NYC and we are looking to find a rental home for about a year or two to settle in, but our needs are not as simple.
Because I will not be able to drive for a while, I need to be in a town where I can reach the shops and schools without too much trouble. I don't mind biking or even going on a scooter to get places, but I am not even sure if that is the done thing in America? ( sorry for my ignorance )
I have five children, 17, 16, 12 and two 8 year olds, so it is important I will have schools nearby, and plenty outdoors things to do perhaps.

I am very much into the arty crafty type of life, and also work from home with my own craft business.

We are extremely easy going, and don't mind smaller towns either. The main thing of importance is that my husband will fly home from NYC and having an Airport nearly would be fabulous ( an hour or so drive would be no problem at all. )

I would be so grateful for directions to small(ish) towns were we can start up our new life. I have been convinced that Vermont is a lovely place to raise children.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Anna Angélique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM

371 posts, read 537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Angelique View Post
Hello there,
I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now, and it has been such a wonderful place to get valuable information.

I am so confused though, and because I am in essence an "outsider" I am left in the dark about all the good places to go to in Vermont. I would not know where to look to be honest.

We are a family from Europe moving to Vermont, preferably the Burlington area, but that is only because it is an area my husband has been to, and really liked.
If there are other places nearby, I would love to hear about it too. It is all connected with my husband being able to fly home and commute between his work and his family.

My husband works in NYC and we are looking to find a rental home for about a year or two to settle in, but our needs are not as simple.
Because I will not be able to drive for a while, I need to be in a town where I can reach the shops and schools without too much trouble. I don't mind biking or even going on a scooter to get places, but I am not even sure if that is the done thing in America? ( sorry for my ignorance )
I have five children, 17, 16, 12 and two 8 year olds, so it is important I will have schools nearby, and plenty outdoors things to do perhaps.

I am very much into the arty crafty type of life, and also work from home with my own craft business.

We are extremely easy going, and don't mind smaller towns either. The main thing of importance is that my husband will fly home from NYC and having an Airport nearly would be fabulous ( an hour or so drive would be no problem at all. )

I would be so grateful for directions to small(ish) towns were we can start up our new life. I have been convinced that Vermont is a lovely place to raise children.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Anna Angélique
Burlington would be your best bet if you can afford it. Great schools, your husband likes it, lots to do for your children, and (limited) public transit. It also has an airport with good NYC connections. The question really is how much are you able to spend on rent and why Vermont if your husband is going to work in NYC? You could move to a NYC suburb, stay together and still have all you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: