Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 05:04 AM

10 posts, read 14,282 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a job in NH and would like to live in VT. I would like to live near Bradford, Newbury, Fairlee, or Thetford.

We have two adult dogs and 2 children. I am looking for a rental house that allows our dogs. I am prepared to give an extra security deposit for the dogs.

I am hitting a brick wall and cannot find a rental house.

Anyone have ideas??

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,389,214 times
Are you able to drive around and look for signs posted in front of houses?

Your chances are not good as you have noticed. For one thing single family homes are rare as rentals. This has to do with the economics of renting out a single family home (isn't worth it financially, so the only ones you find are from people who tried to sell it but couldn't) as well as the extremely tenant-friendly laws in VT which make it hard to get rid of lowlife deadbeats once they are in your property. Unless you charge exorbitant rent, it simply does not make financial sense. Not to mention the limited number of commercial insurance policies available to cover such properties and their onerous inspections. The upshot is that a lot of owners of empty single family homes leave them empty rather than deal with the stress of renting. Having dogs and kids doesn't help.

Your best bet is through personal contact. A lot of rentals never get advertised because they are so scarce. It's more like, Jen gets word that Trish is moving out of her place, tells her friend Dave who is looking, Dave calls Jen, Jen tells the landlady and the deal is done without anything ever hitting the classifieds. Visit the shelters, visit the animal hospitals, visit pet supply stores, and introduce yourself. Somebody may know somebody and if you make a good impression as someone who will pay on time, not trash the place and not be the subject of police surveillance you might get lucky.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 14,282 times
Thank you for your advice. I am going to start calling around Vets and the Humane Society. We currently live in Indiana, so this is harder than I expected.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,360,004 times
It's always hard to find a pet friendly rental when you're trying to do it long distance.

Did you look on Craig's List? There are a few on there. Maybe they're over budget though.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,588,978 times
Renting a house only makes sense for a short term scenario. It's actually cheaper to buy one most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont