Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,971,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I've seen lots of job postings for Keene, NH and Greenfield, MA. It seems there are numerous towns and job postings within a 40 minute drive. It takes that long to get a few miles here in LA and a drive through wooded countryside sounds extremely appealing compared to block after block of strip malls and falling down buildings.
Just keep in mind that 40 minute drive can double in the winter. I'm from NYC and felt the same way - we sat in an hour of traffic to move a few miles. But here the weather can really play a big role; winter is just about half the year and snow/ice can make driving treacherous, especially on back roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,735 times
Also, take into consideration that you will have to pay taxes in two states if you live in Vermont and work in Mass. NH does not have state income tax.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,399,578 times
looking4home, yes, we live in Los Feliz. We don't like LA for a number of reasons. Primarily, we find the people to be rude and pretentious. Second, the traffic, air and pure ugliness of the city with endless strip malls and extremes in wealth are unappealing to us. Perhaps the biggest issue, however, is the real estate prices. We aren't interested in buying a fixer upper at $500,000 in an iffy neighborhood. Both coming from places with four seasons, we yearn for a return to that!

Thanks tkln and 68vette, yes both things to take into consideration. I lived in Missouri and worked in Kansas for a long time, as many people do in the Kansas City region. There exists a tax credit and reciprocity agreement. Are there no such agreements in the area?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,671,735 times
This is how it worked with my wife just over 5 years ago. I'm not sure if the laws have changed or not. If you work in Mass, you pay Mass. the full taxes on your income. If the Mass. tax was higher, that's all you will have to pay. If the Mass. tax is lower, you will have to pay the difference in VT taxes. The problem working in two states is you are usually hit with the maximum amount of income tax.
Mass income tax is set at 5.25%, Vermont is broken into brackets. If you make less than 36,250/yr, you will pay more taxes working in Mass (0-36,250 is 3.55% in Vermont). If you earm more than that in Mass, you will pay the 5.25% and then pay additional tax to Vermont. The brackets in Vermont then jump to 6.8-8.95%. If you make more than 36,250, you would be paying both states. Here are the brackets Vermont Income Tax Brackets 2014.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,799,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thanks to the posters who have replied-lots of valuable information there. I grew up in a small town in the Midwest, so I'm used to the small town feel and enjoy it a lot more. We lived in Seoul for 5 years, so also used to the bone-chilling, snowy winters, which we actually miss here in LA.

I'll be sure to check out all the other towns recommended!

Another question I have is about drugs. I've read a lot of posts and news articles and of course heard the governor's State of the State Address. Is it really that serious of a problem and is it localized to those using or are there any crossover crime problems showing up?
Springfield and Bellows Falls are two area with issues related to drugs, nevermind the fact that Springfield has a state penitentiary. If you have a Facebook page, look for the Springfield VT PD page to get a better idea of what goes down there.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the very helpful tax info 68vette. OhBeeHave, we aren't looking at the Springfield area, just right around Brattleboro and potentially Keene or Greenfield, MA area. The significant other is still leaning heavily towards Portland, ME, but I do believe we have it narrowed to those two particular areas.

Speaking objectively, would you recommend SE Vermont or Portland in general, knowing what you know from this conversation.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,927,420 times
I've heard good things about Portland, ME. Never been there myself but my daughter has. She fell in love with the whole state - gorgeous scenery and heaven for those who love hiking and the outdoors. My concern would be the weather. Eastward, I know you said you would like four seasons, but Maine seems it would have some extreme weather being a coastal state that gets hit with Atlantic storms, sometimes the tail ends of hurricanes, etc.

Maybe someone on here who knows would be able to say if the climate - winter in particular - is harsher than Vermont?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM

221 posts, read 347,253 times
For the most part yes

Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 PM

274 posts, read 675,007 times
I love Portland but mostly in the summer. I prefer Burlington because it's easy to enjoy winter and have good skiing very close AND we have great summers. Wish we had saltwater though!

Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Momnh, I've seen lots of posts here and elsewhere, where people are torn between Burlington and Portland. I am still on the fence and going back and forth. I'm a bit concerned about heating costs in the winter, but at this point, think anything would be better than LA.

The most important factors for me are 1) Having space to garden, 2) Having the ability to be outdoors and hike most days-winter included and 3) Husband finding a job in his field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont