Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be taking her final classes in the medical field in Burlington next semester. She is 23, has always hated our NEK, misses her hometown (Houston) and all that comes with civilization. I'm thinking to buy her a very small house and wonder if it would be better to be between Barre and Burlington and possibly save money on the house? She could have more options with healthcare facilities if living between Berlin and Burlington and houses might be cheaper further out. Or should I bite the bullet and buy closer to Burlington? The house prices are crazy to me, but I don't think they will ever go down in value due to desirability. (just kills my frugal side)

Are there any little quirky towns halfway between the Berlin hospital atmosphere and Burlington where a mid 20s person could have some fun as well? I personally want her to enjoy her 20s and we adore the whole Burlington and Church Street vibe. I just can't wait to get her to a REAL town. Poor child cries when we drive somewhere and sees high rises...misses seeing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
Does she have any connections in Houston anymore? If she loves it there so much, I am wondering whether she should just move back. It sounds like it could well end up being a waste of your money to buy something in a place that really just won't scratch her itch. I bet that you would probably miss her terribly and I am not minimizing that. But there are Country Mice and City Mice, and if she really is a City Mouse, then maybe she should just go on and move there. She is still young enough to be doing this exploring, and if she has a place to land for a few weeks while she locates a job and a room, it could be a wonderful adventure for her.

What do you think?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Don't buy her a house in Vermont if she misses big city living. If this is an attempt to keep her close to you, let her go. I could see it being a big waste of money because owning a house isn't going to tie her down. She'll leave eventually. Don't slow down the inevitable.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the parenting tips..........can't make the kid go further than Burlington;tried. Was just looking for an alternate town within driving distance that might have a bit of a vibe and cheaper real estate.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
Barre would be the cheapest but you might not see her again...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
It's impossible to tell what you mean when you say she's "taking her final classes in the medical field". I think as a young person with a degree the biggest factor in where she should live is where she finds a job, followed by where she wants to be.

I share the opinions of people who say you shouldn't be trying to run her life, but that's beside the point. At twenty-three she isn't going to know where she's going to live for the next five to ten years, and neither are you, so buying a house anywhere doesn't make sense. Let her find a job, rent in a location where she can get to work and get used to living on her own and figuring out what is important to her (short commute, cultural resources, night life, living close to nature, etc.) and after a few years she'll be in a much better position to make some long term plans.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM

Thanks to all that can't just answer the question about a "quirky town with a vibe". Maybe I/we don't handle life in a conservative manner like most, but that wasn't the question. If I have open communication with my child (not the question) and she likes Burlington enough to live there(not the question), I don't believe in rent and thus having an additional rent house is fine (not the question) and think Burlington commuting distance is a good investment(not the question).

I only asked if there might be a good community for a young person that might be a bit cheaper than in-town Burlington. My fault for giving any SLIGHT insight on the personal side. Rent $s are a waste and I don't see the housing prices going down any in the Burlington area.

For those that don't know, I up and moved from Houston to Bethlehem NH to restore a tear down house...totally sight unseen, no friends, no family, no job, never seen snow etc....This family understands having balls. I simply asked about a cute quirky town for a young person. Commute??? We drove 12 hours and were still in the same state...everything in Vermont is "down the street". If a young person can live anywhere in the state without a rent payment??? How can you fail? If you have work ethic you will work. Well, that's how it is in my household. So, I will suspend my question and get it from the streets.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
I can't think of a place other than Burlington where a 23 year old would be happy.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM

267 posts, read 448,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I can't think of a place other than Burlington where a 23 year old would be happy.
*a single 23 year old that likes clubs and a wild bar scene ..

Im 25 and Vermont is my favorite state because of its beauty, quaintness, great locavore restaurants, outdoor activities and independent streak that keeps the state unique.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Thanks to all that can't just answer the question about a "quirky town with a vibe". Maybe I/we don't handle life in a conservative manner like most, but that wasn't the question. If I have open communication with my child (not the question) and she likes Burlington enough to live there(not the question), I don't believe in rent and thus having an additional rent house is fine (not the question) and think Burlington commuting distance is a good investment(not the question).

I only asked if there might be a good community for a young person that might be a bit cheaper than in-town Burlington. My fault for giving any SLIGHT insight on the personal side. Rent $s are a waste and I don't see the housing prices going down any in the Burlington area.

For those that don't know, I up and moved from Houston to Bethlehem NH to restore a tear down house...totally sight unseen, no friends, no family, no job, never seen snow etc....This family understands having balls. I simply asked about a cute quirky town for a young person. Commute??? We drove 12 hours and were still in the same state...everything in Vermont is "down the street". If a young person can live anywhere in the state without a rent payment??? How can you fail? If you have work ethic you will work. Well, that's how it is in my household. So, I will suspend my question and get it from the streets.
There is no need for such a hostile response to people who are trying to give you helpful answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont