Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Depends on the nature of the job and your boss. My wife can get away with being late, but not me.
Same here, the employer makes a HUGE difference.

My boss can be weird about this, he thinks if he can get in, everyone should be able to. Of course he lives 10 minutes up the road and most of us don't so his idea of "the roads are fine" is often times pretty different then reality.

No one here has ever been fired over this, but I've seen people get some serious grief, which stinks, but that's life in in the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,934 times
If you are new to the snowy north, please do not do what I saw two people doing today: sitting inside a car that was buried in the snow with the engine running. The tail pipe is blocked by snow and the car is filling up with carbon monoxide.

Both times, I cleared snow from the window and panicked when I saw someone inside. Luckily both responded to knocking; both were having their first winter experience and both became kind of angry and indignant at me.

Do not think that you should melt the snow by running the engine! If you don't have a brush, use your hands, it's not that hard. Always clear the tailpipe first!!!!!!!! The car warms up best by moving, so don't use that as an excuse, just drive slowly at the beginning.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
The above safety tip also applies to folks in their home and apartments. Every year there are numerous Carbon Monoxide and fire deaths from people getting creative and careless with supplemental heating sources and with the cost of heating continuing to rise there will no doubt be an increase in mishaps.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Thanks for all the advice and comments.
Personally, I will use my judgment. I am really only seeking jobs within 15 minutes drive or so (one good option about living here.)

Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
To folks from here, snow is not that big of a deal. We go to work, but take our time. The only time I've had to miss work was during the Valentine's Blizzard last Feb. Not because the roads were bad the morning after, but because our driveway was not plowed.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Default Weather schmeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
To folks from here, snow is not that big of a deal. We go to work, but take our time. The only time I've had to miss work was during the Valentine's Blizzard last Feb. Not because the roads were bad the morning after, but because our driveway was not plowed.

I agree on all counts! The only travel stoppage I've had is waiting for my driveway to be plowed and getting the cars dug out.

For perspective, I am a native of Miami Beach (as are my parents). In my early 20s, I moved to SW New Hampshire in 1988 and to central Vermont in 1996.

When I was living in NH, I attended massage school 80 miles away in Cambridge, MA. By far I had the longest commute in my class and I was one of the only students who never missed a single day because of winter weather.

I have never had (or even driven) a 4WD or AWD vehicle. Currently I drive a 2006 Honda Civic 4-door. In winter, I put on very high-quality snow tires. The car goes like a dream. I see a lot of people driving like it's the first time they've ever seen snow! It's just no big deal to me.

However, I have never gotten good at walking on slippery surfaces. I'm fine on snow, but when there's ice on the sidewalks and streets, I tend to avoid walking, which is how I most enjoy getting around town regardless of temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont