Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM

89 posts, read 112,606 times

Advertisements

We'd like to move to New England and currently live in NC. Empty nesters, income of 107K (husband is in IT, I'm an artist). I just can't take the heat and want a totally different lifestyle (had enough of the South). We don't want the big city. We would hope to make a little bit more but know the cost of living will be significantly more than here and the salary increase won't make up for the difference. I know taxes are higher, also. I'd like recommendations on areas where we could live comfortably on this income. Safe area, nice house, but nothing fancy, etc. We're only spending 15% of our income now on our house because we don't mind the simple life, but we do want something nice, at least 1400 sq. ft for about $225K which would make the mortgage be about 25% of net income.

He's in touch with an IT recruiter, and was flown up to Maine, but barely lost out to a local guy (we were told, anyway).

Maine is our first choice, but jobs are scarce, so we're also looking at Vermont and Massachusetts, as well as up-state New York, near the Vermont border. I think we'd love Vermont, too, and plan to visit this fall (have been to Maine twice, but never Vermont). Is New Hampshire mostly conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I think you can live comfortably almost anyone in VT on 107k... but $225k house could easily be unattainable or not the quality of home you want, depending on location.

It sounds like your husband will be seeking a new job, not bringing the $107k job with him?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks, joe moving. I think what you're saying is that we should be prepared to spend a higher percentage of our income on housing? That's what I'm trying to find out because we're 10-12 years from retirement and would like to have only a 15 year mortgage, which, of course, has higher payments, hence the desire to stay in that price range. Kids are out of college now, so we can afford more, but would like to not go over that 25% of net income so we can have a comfortable retirement.

My husband telecommutes now, but the company has new owners and we're not sure if that can continue. Company now is headquartered in Chicago suburbs, and we're not sure we want to move there, but know we don't want to stay in the south.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I'd say yes but it depends on where. Surely there are places in VT you can get a great house for 225k but as you get closer to locations that would be more likely to pay more , the housing cost is going to go up also. Also depends on what you are looking for in a location, length of commute, etc.!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Most of the IT jobs in VT will be in Chittenden County, which is densely populated and developed. If you can telecommute, then you can avoid that part of the state and have more affordable housing, but good internet service is spotty and is something you'll need to be careful about.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Thanks, arctichomesteader. Telecommuting would be ideal, but not sure if they're going to continue to allow that, but I guess we need to find out!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM

809 posts, read 997,777 times
If you can telecommute, Springfield is a great town to move to! A friend here is putting her house on the market (a block from mine) for $55,000 in a neighborhood just begging for gentrification (I'm doing my part, unfortunately). Check out PicketFencePreview.com, which has houses for sale by owners. To get by in Springfield, a single person needs to earn $9 an hour; a couple, about $17. You could live like kings on $107k.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,273 times
I think you will find the COL difference to be pretty shocking once you bake in the cost of heating and the generally high property taxes... and the salaries up here rarely really support the COL very well.

I say this as a person who has happily lived in NH and VT my entire life (since I was 6 actually). I, personally, love this area (The Upper Valley straddling the VT/NH border) and am happy to raise my family here... but it is not without it's financial challenges. 6-Figure jobs are few and far between, even for the well-educated, and there is a ton of competition for every job.

So, not to be negative, because I love it here, but just want to make sure you do your research and give a full, honest, look at what you are getting into.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM

25 posts, read 42,726 times
To say Springfield is a "great" town is irresponsible

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsross1987 View Post
To say Springfield is a "great" town is irresponsible
We might not agree on sports enthusiasts, but I do agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont