Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM

305 posts, read 417,158 times

Advertisements

What I love more is how people like to talk about 'trying to keep the state to themselves' as an excuse to debunk bad responses. Ive seen this moreso in the states/cities most people don't know much about. When here, in this case, and others, the majority of the replies who had negative things to say about VT/other areas aren't even there anymore, how are they trying to keep it to themselves if they aren't even there and stated why they left/didn't like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM

25 posts, read 42,762 times
I agree Black_Sheep3. If itsso unfettered and lovely, they wouldnt have left. I think most people have seen "White Christmas" too many times, and think Vt must be one big ski resort, where you go to Christmas carols and fall in love

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere2 View Post
Couldn't hope for a more explaining response, thanks for that !

I especially like the outdoor opportunity, it sounds really nice.

Thank you for your time . I'll definitely enter Vermont on my to do list.
If you need a detailed response to believe us, I'll elaborate.

Vermonters are NOT liberal in the sense you are accustom to in the Netherlands. They are a weird mix of liberal and conservative that mostly is derived from individual freedom. The love their gun and right to bear arms. And racism is rampant for how few minorities there are in the state. They are an odd sort of people who are rather standoffish to outsiders and newcomers. Don't expect to make friends easily.

Colorado has the most amazing outdoor opportunities. Vermont's mountains do not compare to the Rockies. You'll enjoy snow and sunshine year round in Colorado. Vermont will be gloomy overall by comparison. The ski resorts of Colorado get feet more snow per year, and ski season lasts significantly longer at the higher elevations in Colorado than in the mountains than they do in Vermont. The snow is powder in Colorado and very wet in Vermont.

What's even better about Colorado is there are mega cities just an hour and half away from the wilderness. Vermont's biggest city is like a small town in my state. As a result, you'll have plenty of job opportunities in Colorado. Vermont's economy is rather sad by comparison.

If you want great weather, fantastic scenery, plenty of outdoor recreation, friendly people, and a robust economy, Colorado is the choice for you.

Being from the Netherlands, I don't know if this matters to you but marijuana is completely legalized in Colorado, but it's still illegal in Vermont except for medical.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,748,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsross1987 View Post
I like how whenever someone might mention the negatives of Vermont, (which EVERY state has its pros and cons) the cheerleaders will come out and say VT has NO NEGATIVES...Oh really? Its doesnt get cold here? This past winter, there was a week or two STRAIGHT where the low was TWENTY FIVE BELOW ZERO!!! Thats not cold????? There is proven, empirical data to show how weak this economy is, about the soaring drug problem, and the poverty that plague the state. Thats all just people being negative right? I think so many in Vt are in denial about the states problems. Everywhere has their own issues, but noone likes to cover it up quite like Vermonters
Oh I so agree with you.

I like to be objective about things.

We moved to Maine from Vermont, our car insurance dropped from $130/month to $75/month with a bit of extra coverage to boot. Our cable/TV/phone bill dropped from $200/month to $142/month. These are tangibles, these are not opinions about the weather. Few people expect a perfect place, I am no exception. But after having lived in 3 countries I believe my views on Vermont are a pretty good reflection on the reality of that place. It isn't some cookie cutter slice of heaven filled with snowflakes and happy people in winter jersies, it's cold, it's unfriendly and it's expensive.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
I think a lot of how people answer these questions is perspective, and where you live, how you live, and what your specific situation is. Not one answer is going to be it for everyone.

Vermont is definitely not perfect. It's cold. It's gray during the winter. It can be gray during the summer. Summers are short. It is expensive. Jobs are definitely hard to find.

We had Colorado on our short list of places to move to. There were a few reasons why we didn't end up there, but one of the big reasons was the dry air and drought. The weather patterns being what they are in this world, drought scares the crap out of me. I like lush, I love rain and I like green. And yes, I know it's not always an issue, but even if half of what I read about water resources out West is true, that was enough to scare me.

Of course, on the flip side, we flood here lol.

Colorado has a lot going for it. If you want sun, Colorado is it. However, seeing what one of my fair skinned friends looked like after a year there, I'd rather stay pale and not look like leather face.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
If you want sun, Colorado is it. However, seeing what one of my fair skinned friends looked like after a year there, I'd rather stay pale and not look like leather face.
That's silly. All you need to do is use sunscreen protection. You should be using it in Vermont too because clouds don't protect you from sun damage and skin cancer. Don't believe me, check out this map by the CDC. The skin cancer rate is higher in Vermont than Colorado. People who live in overcast areas have a false sense of security.

I'm sure the OP is educated enough to understand that, but it's obvious you can benefit from the information. If you want to stay young looking, keep covered up and use sunscreen where you can't cover up----religiously. Aging, wrinkles, sun damage, and skin cancer results from sun exposure from simply living your life running errands even under overcast skies.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:16 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
I use plenty of sunscreen, no worries about me. However, it's not just the sun. It's the dry air. No amount of moisturizer seems to help the folks I know.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I use plenty of sunscreen, no worries about me. However, it's not just the sun. It's the dry air. No amount of moisturizer seems to help the folks I know.
Of course moisturizer won't help. They're supposed to stay hydrated via drinking water to compensate. I guess that's a mistake transplants make because natives to those areas aren't aging faster than people in the northeast.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM

221 posts, read 346,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
You'll be fine in Vermont as long as you don't post any signs about bacon:

Vermont diner takes down bacon sign after it offends Muslim residents - NY Daily News

Political correctness run amok.
I won't be going to Sneakers, that's for sure. As an immigrant myself, I can only say "Respect" is not asking someone to change their ways for you.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM

25 posts, read 42,762 times
How is twenty five below zero being COLD a matter of perspective??? Its unequivocal. Any scientist will tell you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont