Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:48 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,335,187 times

Advertisements

Watched a disturbing episode on HBO Real Sports about heroin addiction in young athletes.

When they were injured they were prescribed pain killers and got hooked. Some of these pain killers were given out by the team trainers, not doctors. One guy described feeling so wonderful and peaceful, that he craved that high.

Said heroin was so cheap he could buy 100 bags a day. That is so scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,643,484 times
There is a problem with heroin here in Maine where I currently live as well. In fact the local news ran a two-part article on it last week saying it was a fast growing phenomenon in the state. And the spokesperson said that a lot of the dealers come up from metro areas down in southern New England and NYC area. But where there is a demand, there will be the product because it will be lucrative. I am not blaming the users solely. The dealers are just as much at fault. In the end society loses with heroin deaths, hospitalizations and crimes committed because of the epidemic. There was a problem in Vermont back as far as the 1990s. I lived in the NEK then and I know for a fact the drug task force was fighting heroin use/sale back then. Little rural towns are great for hiding things like that.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,134,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Watched a disturbing episode on HBO Real Sports about heroin addiction in young athletes.

When they were injured they were prescribed pain killers and got hooked. Some of these pain killers were given out by the team trainers, not doctors. One guy described feeling so wonderful and peaceful, that he craved that high.

Said heroin was so cheap he could buy 100 bags a day. That is so scary.

Nothing new. I went to UVM in the early 90s and roomed with one, and knew other, hockey players that were addicted to painkillers. They got on them during injuries when playing Junior A other other hockey.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,340,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
this question is in every state forum
Sadly enough this is so true. I am so afraid for the children growing up these days, it is everywhere.

Deaths Involving Opioids, Heroin Continue To Rise, Report Shows 01/18/2015

While there were 16,235 deaths involving prescription opioids in 2013, an increase of 1% from 2012, the number of deaths involving heroin increased dramatically. There were 8,257 heroin-related deaths in 2013, up 39% from 2012. Total drug overdose deaths in 2013 hit 43,982, up 6% from 2012.

Deaths Involving Opioids, Heroin Continue To Rise, Report Shows - Forbes

Vermont gov. confronts deadly heroin crisis as public health problem

Gov. Peter Shumlin devoted his entire State of the State address to a "full-blown heroin crisis" ravaging Vermont. Shumlin joins Judy Woodruff to discuss his shift in focus on the issue of opiate addiction and Ryan Grim of the Huffington Post offers context on why heroin has made a major comeback in the United States.

Vermont gov. confronts deadly heroin crisis as public health problem

Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,274,618 times
I agree everyplace has this problem but not to the degree that Vermont and Western Massachusetts have it. No jobs=no hope. Leave Vermont if you can. That's what I did.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM

94 posts, read 117,071 times
when people are bored they do drugs...

Old 03-25-2015, 01:59 AM

809 posts, read 1,001,870 times
When they're stultified they do drugs, too. Kids who never get introduced to the excitement of curiosity and developing their talents will settle for drugs instead.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,808,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I agree everyplace has this problem but not to the degree that Vermont and Western Massachusetts have it. No jobs=no hope. Leave Vermont if you can. That's what I did.
It's a terrible scourge and no place is immune. You can run, but you can't hide

Reducing Harm from Heroin & Opiate Drugs Gains Traction at NCGA | North Carolina Health News

Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 PM

18,329 posts, read 26,574,689 times
The drugs came in when the urban transplants came in.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,790,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Even 'good neighborhoods' have an illegal drug culture, often at a higher rate than the ghetto, contrary to common belief, but I suggest the recent increase in heroin/opiate use has a more insidious origin:

Many people get addicted to prescription painkillers which are chemically very similar to heroin. --->

Prescriptions run out and the addicted prescribee and/or their family members are cut off from the supply. --->

Heroin is widely available to take up the slack. --->

Heroin problem in your quiet, clean cut neighborhood.
THis is hitting the nail on the bed.

Amongst very wealthy/suburban neighborhoods, there is a very high usage of illegal drugs (eg cocaine), as well as narcotics (the latter likely in the form of prescription drugs).

It's often overlooked, however, b/c the sins of these communities are easily hidden by facades of the stereotypical white collared business man or stay-at-home soccer mom. Skin color and (sometimes unlimited access to money) hide a multitude of sins.

I see it day in and day out b/c I the work that I do.

This article definitely is a reflection of what I see on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont