Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 PM

809 posts, read 1,000,275 times

Advertisements

Before there was use of illicit substances and abuse of prescriptions, there was alcohol and (for a while) cocaine, heroin and just about everything else short of turpentine. If addicts can't get what they want, they'll settle for something else eventually. The solution is to deal with the addiction as an illness, as we generally do now with alcohol and nicotine addiction (legal but controlled commercially), with legal penalties for overdoing it an a way society disapproves of (e.g., impaired driving, beating one's spouse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
A big slice of the country is addicted to opiates. The Federal government tightened up prescription requirements so it became much more difficult to feed their addiction. They affluent people could shell out the bucks for black market Rx opiates. The less affluent were forced to cross over to much cheaper heroin.

This is not a new problem. It dates back centuries. It's in no way unique to Vermont.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 PM

94 posts, read 116,888 times
I ended up in a small town Barre, VT next to very small capital Montpelier-that incidentally has a population of wopping 6000, so if you are unlucky to have sex with someone and gave them, say, crabs, you are screwed and will have to move to France, like Eartha Kidd-to escape procecution.

It;s muddy season here and still cold. Muddy season, is when your car looks like it came from a junk yard even though it was made 1 year ago. People in this town look like they don't iron clothes or put makeup. When they are young, they are cute, but once they hit 35, they are ready for Jerry Springer. The houses are all broken down, yet everyone wants to rent out a room to make a buck.

Anyway, given the fact that it's cold half a year and there is nothing to do during 12months if you are not into admiring mountains, unelss you drive to Burlington, I am surprised they don't also do crack or poppers.

PS. To their credit, they remain pleasant and not overly hostile.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
Oh no, people aren't wearing makeup, it's the end of civilization.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Oh no, people aren't wearing makeup, it's the end of civilization.
not wearing makeup is actually not bad in itself especially if you are a man, but no makeup and no ironing ,,,,

Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
It's a less artificial world up here than in the city.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 AM

809 posts, read 1,000,275 times
Who'd want to go around all day wearing various types of grease on their face?

Acceptance of make-up is learned. When I was 18, purple blush was introduced to the American consumer. The first poster I saw with a model displaying it startled me. I thought she'd been in a fight. I got used to it.

Last edited by cgregor; 03-29-2015 at 06:16 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's a less artificial world up here than in the city.
Now to be serious here, people here are incredibly down to earth and very helpful regardless. They are indeed genuine and actually go out of their way to be helpful which is quite refreshing. I guess living here takes getting used to. It does need a little more development. When you come from elsewhere, the lack of makup it takes a little getting used to :-)

As far as the heroine, I've read that Finland has very high rate of alcohol abuse. The cold weather, maybe? However, this does not explain Miami's rate of recreational drugs.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Default Vermont needs not makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Who'd want to go around all day wearing various types of grease on their face?

Acceptance of make-up is learned. When I was 18, purple blush was introduced to the American consumer. The first poster I saw with a model displaying it startled me. I thought she'd been in a fight. I got used to it.
Your point is well taken. I must apologized for saying all those superficial mean things. The truth is, I was feeling absolultely depressed being here away from friends, far away from home..and saying all of the negative things.

Today, I ventured into Burlington, and felt a lot better.

Vermont is gorgeous, people were absolutely welcoming even though they had no make-up (;-) and I guess it did not matter.

Peace,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont