Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times

Advertisements

Senator Bernie Sanders is from New York. In fact, he went to the same high school I did. A poster on another thread said he still has his Brooklyn accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 AM

41 posts, read 122,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It doesn't mean we are going to go Joe Pesci on them.

You guys should not be ashamed of coming from NY or speaking 'differently.'
It's kind of funny, because I lived right in the heart of the area where they filmed Good Fellas (Five Towns). And I did get a comment one time that because of the way I tawked, I was going to get Good Fellas on them.

I'm very proud of being a native Noo Yawkuh. In fact, I wear my Noo Yawk pride on my license plate. But once in awhile, it does get irritating when people get that flinching reaction once I open my mouth. Oh well... some people associate NYC directly from what they see in the movies.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmetsfan View Post
It's kind of funny, because I lived right in the heart of the area where they filmed Good Fellas (Five Towns). And I did get a comment one time that because of the way I tawked, I was going to get Good Fellas on them.

I'm very proud of being a native Noo Yawkuh. In fact, I wear my Noo Yawk pride on my license plate. But once in awhile, it does get irritating when people get that flinching reaction once I open my mouth. Oh well... some people associate NYC directly from what they see in the movies.
Also this reaction can come from not what people have seen in the movies, but rather from their own experiences of actually being from there and having had experienced what many believe to only be stereotypes. Also, as far as the Bernie thing goes, personally I don't think his roots and accent merit any bragging rights based on what he has done, stands for, and is supposed to be doing to earn his 162k salary. When I went to school in NYC I actually had a Spanish teacher that went to school with Fidel Castro pre 1959 and I also stayed at a Holliday Inn Express for what it's worth.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I think people get some of that flinching reaction because of the behavior of many New Yorkers they have met. New Yorkers can be loud, pushy, edgy, aggressive, entitled, self-centered, competitive and rude. New York behavior is in stark contrast to the reserve, gentleness, calmness, courtesy, soft-spoken-ness and public spiritedness of most of the Vermonters (and New Hampshirites) I have met.

Yes, I know these are stereotypes, but there is truth in them.

I love New York, too, but not every aspect of it.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Here is a hilarious thread right from the NYC forum. New Yorkers will appreciate it and others will get some insight about the New York City mentality.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-nyc-when.html

Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, we walk around saying the Lebanon the right way all the time...and we joke about it in our house (DH & I).

Yeah, I know, Fran is from Queens...I was just making the point that not everyone TAWKS like this from lower NY. And even if we do have an accent, so what? It doesn't mean we are going to go Joe Pesci on them.

I don't walk around assuming everyone is a-goin' huntin', shootin' and fishin' or hanging around all granola...(peace man!) because they live in Vermont.

You guys should not be ashamed of coming from NY or speaking 'differently.'

Let's not have an inferiority complex. There's nothing wrong with not being a native of a state. Even the locals came from MA, Maine, or NY or somewhere else once upon a time.(or their families did). If you meet up with small minded people who judge you exclusively based on your accent then why would you want to deal with them?

Ahhhh Joe Pesci -- My Cousin Vinny is his absolute most horrid NY accent! LOL

Funny thing, I went to school upstate and have a mingled Albany/Bronx/south shore/north shore accent. People don't ID my LI all the time -- if I am up in VT for a week or so, I tend to sound more Albany-ish.

(But I do have an issue with R dropping as in A WBAB Bumpah Stickah!)

Living on the north shore, I have come to realise that there are narrow minded people who associate my ss accent with 'working class' and have learned to 'delete' them whenever possible! LOL

Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 AM

41 posts, read 122,155 times
Arel,

I got a kick out of reading the list. This one is so true:

Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watchseller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.

I recall laughing hysterically in the theatres during a scene in Men in Black. The insect character throws the yellow cab driver (who happens to be Pakistani) and his seat cover out. As you may know, most Pakistani cab drivers in NYC had that special wooden ball seat cover.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM

35 posts, read 110,553 times
Quote:
The only distinctive accents I hear in Vermont, that kind of tickle my senses are words like:

Costco --> Cahs-co
Dawn --> Don

I've noticed that for most Vermonters, they prefer to pronounce 'aw' sounds as 'ah'.

I love it! That's a very Buffalo, New York thing with that long A "AAAH" thing

ie:
Soda/Pop: BFLONIANS say pop, but not really even "pop" its "paaah-p"
Bag: Its "baahhg" not "bag"
Bathroom: It's "byahhthroom" not "bathroom"
Plaze: "Plaaahza" not "Plaza"

I love that accent, it's in Chi-caahhh-go, too.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
But once in awhile, it does get irritating when people get that flinching reaction once I open my mouth.
I always feel a touch of home when I hear New York accents around me. I'm from Miami, which seemed like NY South. Even though my Mom is a native S. Floridian like me, my Grandma was originally from Sheepshead Bay. I didn't even know that Grandma had an accent until I moved to the West Village at age 21, came home from work one day and heard my Grandma on my answering machine saying, "Hello, DAH-ling!" I was like, whoa, Grandma's a New Yorker, duh!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

102 posts, read 313,175 times
A lady came in the office and asked how far it was to Mo pell yay. I said I had never heard of the town. She looked down her nose at me and said "Well, it IS your state capitol, deah". I thought she'd drop when I pronounced it the way we do. Mont PEEL yer. How crude LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont