Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 04:12 AM

32 posts, read 64,655 times

Advertisements

I am considering living in VT and commuting to MA during the week. We already have a condo in VT and my wife and kids would be there full time and the kids would be in school. May or may not take an apartment in Boston.

I am wondering how I would be taxed. I am thinking that if I am spending more that 183 nights in MA and working in MA I would be taxed in MA and I would not owe VT income tax.

Does anyone have any experience on this front?

By the way I already commute 2 1/2 hours from the Berkshires to Boston so I am not worried about the lifestyle. Its OK for a few more years until I retire and then would live in VT full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
You would file Massachusetts non-resident personal income tax and pay their 5.15% flat tax. You would then file Vermont state income taxes and pay Vermont the difference if there is any.

The Vermont married filing status tax brackets are:
  • 3.55 percent on the first $61,600 of taxable income.
  • 6.8 percent on taxable income between $61,601 and $148,850.
  • 7.8 percent on taxable income between $148,851 and $226,850.
  • 8.8 percent on taxable income between $226,851 and $405,100.
  • 8.95 percent on taxable income of $405,101 and above.
If you're high income, you will be writing Vermont a pretty large check. You'd have to work the numbers but at $100K, you probably wouldn't owe anything. At $200K, you'd owe a bunch. There is no substitute for downloading the Massachusetts non-resident tax forms and the Vermont resident tax forms and plugging in your numbers.

You also should look into your Vermont property taxes. If you're in a gold town, the non-resident "commercial rate" might be lower than the resident tax rate. Depending on the town and property valuation, Act 68 could cost you some money and you likely earn too much to qualify for any of the Act 68 state school tax means testing. If you're not in a gold town, your property taxes should go down.

I don't know if it's possible to have your wife & children be Vermont residents so your children can use the school systems and you declare Massachusetts since you work there and sleep there at least half time.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

32 posts, read 64,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't know if it's possible to have your wife & children be Vermont residents so your children can use the school systems and you declare Massachusetts since you work there and sleep there at least half time.
This is the crux of my question. Thanks

Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM

385 posts, read 440,289 times
I do this, but I declare as a VT resident.

Usually, VT gives me credit for taxes paid to MA on my VT tax bill. That didn't happen this year. Not sure why, but I got a refund from MA that was slightly more than what I paid to VT so it all worked out in the end.

My husband and kids live here in VT. I work in Boston. I rent a hotel. My client partially reimburses me, and I write the rest off as unreimbursed business/employment expenses. One year, I rented an apartment in Revere. It was cheaper since I wasn't getting expenses reimbursed on that contract.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont