Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at retirement in VT. My husband is from MA/NH and I am mostly from CA but I lived in NH too for 11 years. When our kids moved out to college we made a move to New Mexico to escape the high cost of living in NH (lived on the Seacoast), the long winters. New Mexico (Santa Fe/ABQ area) was good for us in terms of being able to afford a small house and getting fairly well paid jobs (for this area). Our kids though are in New England and I have had a very tough time adjusting. I'm not particularly outgoing but I'm not and introvert either but I have nothing in common with most people I've met at work (since I spend most of my hours at work). The high altitude and dryness have been hard on my body. We live in a safe area but ABQ which is one of two major cities nearby is crime ridden. I miss New England.... My husband loves the outdoors and I like more cosmopolitan areas. I also prefer a more culturally diverse area though it is not a priority. We are looking at VT as a possibility. Such a beautiful state! Closer to kids and grandkids and I like the proximity to Montreal. The outdoors is an attraction for my husband. It seems more affordable than either NH or MA but I read that taxes are on the high side and social security is taxed. Also, we would probably have to rent a house (3 dogs) as mortgage at this point might be unaffordable. Homes for rent seem affordable in Vt? I would have to find a job since I am not retirement age but my hubby is. This may be our last move so any feedback or alternatives would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Gittaacs; 01-02-2016 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
If you move here, you could work for a more equitable taxation system. The best-off have the lowest overall tax burden, and the lowest 40% have the highest, which fortunately for them is mitigated by the EITC. We could have an equitable system which would not only reduce the state taxes of a $60,000 household by at least $4,000, but also one which would finance completely a single-payer health care system-- the bill for the "graduated" payroll tax (which would give mom and pop stores a much more competitive footing with the big box stores) is hanging on the wall with the other "to-do" bills in the house Ways & Means committee in Montpelier. If you're not willing to work toward things like these, you might not enjoy Vermont as much as you hope; I hope I'm wrong with that guess. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2016, 02:58 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Long term renting is a bad idea but it might be wise to rent for a while to see how you like the area. VT is a high tax state for retirees (and everyone else too). For locations I'd steer clear of cities/towns like Rutland, Barre or Springfield.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
For locations I'd steer clear of cities/towns like Rutland, Barre or Springfield.
Springfield is only a good town for people who want to take a hand in making their town the sort of town they want it to be. If you don't have the pioneering spirit, you'll prefer living somewhere else.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Rental housing is taxed at the commercial rate for the state school property tax. That gets passed on to renters and makes renting more expensive than many other places. Like anywhere else, any rental market is local. Prices will vary significantly from town to town depending on demand. Chittenden County and near the ski resorts isn't cheap. Other places might be.

You already know that Social Security is taxed. Energy costs will be significantly higher than you are used to. The only natural gas pipeline comes down from Quebec to Burlington. Most people heat with oil. That's temporarily cheap but it's unclear how long low oil prices will last. In a rural state, electric distribution costs are high so electricity is also more expensive than you're likely used to.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Springfield is only a good town for people who want to take a hand in making their town the sort of town they want it to be. If you don't have the pioneering spirit, you'll prefer living somewhere else.
Most people don't consider Springfield a desirable place to live. I would say it's because I have that pioneering spirit I bought property in the middle of nowhere in Essex County. The point being there are over 200 options for towns in this state, from uninhabited and unorganized townships and gores to cities like Burlington. I would suggest the OP explore the state before committing to buying property.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,668 times
Thank you all. Hard to make a decision when there are so many factors to consider. It's really frustrating being in a place that is so affordable but that I find so displeasing. We are thinking of buying an RV and driving around the country to check out various areas. I always wanted to live in VT but reading about the cost of living may change my mind. More research is needed....

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

402 posts, read 686,716 times
Vermont is dark and cold half the year. Poor sledding the rest of the year. including mud season. And lots of NY, Ct, and NJ second home owners(if you like them you can keep them, to paraphrase)
You do get a few pretty days though

Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM

20 posts, read 15,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittaacs View Post
My husband and I are looking at retirement in VT. My husband is from MA/NH and I am mostly from CA but I lived in NH too for 11 years. When our kids moved out to college we made a move to New Mexico to escape the high cost of living in NH (lived on the Seacoast), the long winters. New Mexico (Santa Fe/ABQ area) was good for us in terms of being able to afford a small house and getting fairly well paid jobs (for this area). Our kids though are in New England and I have had a very tough time adjusting. I'm not particularly outgoing but I'm not and introvert either but I have nothing in common with most people I've met at work (since I spend most of my hours at work). The high altitude and dryness have been hard on my body. We live in a safe area but ABQ which is one of two major cities nearby is crime ridden. I miss New England.... My husband loves the outdoors and I like more cosmopolitan areas. I also prefer a more culturally diverse area though it is not a priority. We are looking at VT as a possibility. Such a beautiful state! Closer to kids and grandkids and I like the proximity to Montreal. The outdoors is an attraction for my husband. It seems more affordable than either NH or MA but I read that taxes are on the high side and social security is taxed. Also, we would probably have to rent a house (3 dogs) as mortgage at this point might be unaffordable. Homes for rent seem affordable in Vt? I would have to find a job since I am not retirement age but my hubby is. This may be our last move so any feedback or alternatives would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Great questions...

I too would love to move to the east coast! Vermont is my first choice!

Old 01-04-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most people don't consider Springfield a desirable place to live. I would say it's because I have that pioneering spirit I bought property in the middle of nowhere in Essex County.
Good for you! Some pioneer by addressing their physical environment; some by addressing their civic environment. We need more of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont