Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:09 AM

371 posts, read 538,432 times

Advertisements

Your budget is going to be a problem if you are wanting a house, a few acres and a garage, especially in an area where you can find employment. You might find a fixer-upper for $100k but that all depends upon where you will be moving to. You should definitely secure employment first and go from there. You may have to rent first, which isn't a bad idea really when you move someplace new. You would need to rent a house since you have dogs, and even that will be a little difficult. What kind of dogs do you have?

Don't listen to people who tell you that Vermonters are unfriendly. I am from New York originally, and have never had a problem meeting friends in Vermont. People will go out of their way to help you when you need it. It's a beautiful state and I don't find it gloomy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 AM

9 posts, read 13,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Your budget is going to be a problem if you are wanting a house, a few acres and a garage, especially in an area where you can find employment. You might find a fixer-upper for $100k but that all depends upon where you will be moving to. You should definitely secure employment first and go from there. You may have to rent first, which isn't a bad idea really when you move someplace new. You would need to rent a house since you have dogs, and even that will be a little difficult. What kind of dogs do you have?

Don't listen to people who tell you that Vermonters are unfriendly. I am from New York originally, and have never had a problem meeting friends in Vermont. People will go out of their way to help you when you need it. It's a beautiful state and I don't find it gloomy at all.
I would be ok with putting some work into a home if I could get something I really liked. I have been looking at rentals for the past few days and have found some that allow dogs. I have a golden retriever mix and a fox terrier, they are both very nice dogs. Thanks for your positive input! I have been reading posts on this forum for months and there seems to be a lot of negatively about the state, but just like anywhere Vermont has both positives and negatives.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM

I think you will see that in all the state forums. Sometimes people move to a new place and it doesn't meet their expectations, so they bash it. Sometimes the complaints are legitimate, since no place can be perfect. But all in all, I like Vermont the best of all the places I have lived.

You should be OK with the dogs if you can be prepared to pay a pet deposit. Good luck to you.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,982,238 times
Quote:

Quote:
I think you will see that in all the state forums. Sometimes people move to a new place and it doesn't meet their expectations, so they bash it. Sometimes the complaints are legitimate, since no place can be perfect. But all in all, I like Vermont the best of all the places I have lived.

You should be OK with the dogs if you can be prepared to pay a pet deposit. Good luck to you.
I second this. I have been here 1.5 years. People are friendly. And the mountains are green and gorgeous. But it does get VERY cold sometimes.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,172,963 times
I spent 40 years in Ohio, but am a native New Englander and spent many happy summers in E. Thetford, VT. I think you sound like a sensible guy and think Vermont is a beautiful state. You are young, so there is nothing stopping you. If it turns out you don't like living there, you can always move somewhere else.

One of the worst things about living in Ohio was day after day of cloudy skies in the fall winter and spring. I remember New England being sunny in the winter. There's nothing more fun than a sledding hill or ski slope with the sun sparkling off the snow, and summer in VT was breathtaking. I'd go for it if I were you. It is no colder than Ohio.

I am very surprised to hear that wages are lower in any NE state than in Ohio. I have heard that VT is expensive and I would think the wages would reflect that. Besides the employment issues, a rural lifestyle will mean more travel time between jobs, and I wonder how the schools are for your little bun?

Old 01-25-2016, 09:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
VT is all around gloomy, the vibe is gloomy, November, April or June, spooky at the times. Small too , small and overpriced, everybody and his dog tries to make a living in overpriced crafts. VT mountain peaks are just two to three times higher than major Ohio hills. People? You can get good taste of reclusive detachment, NE is famous for, in Ohio. I am not even sure who is more messed up.

Sounds like someone that has never been.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM

Thank you all very much for your input. I am going to plan on making a few more trips in the next few months to get a feel for other areas. I have been searching a few sites for rentals every day to get a feel for prices. It is a little sickening thinking about taking a large paycut but money isn't everything and I will still make enough to live comfortably.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:24 PM

809 posts, read 999,917 times
Warning, maxwellrich: When you move here, you will no longer be able to drive for a half hour straight into a setting or rising sun. You have been warned!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Warning, maxwellrich: When you move here, you will no longer be able to drive for a half hour straight into a setting or rising sun. You have been warned!
I had that problem this morning! Haha I will not miss that.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
lol I drove from Oregon to Vermont in November and the biggest problem was the rising sun as I headed due east. I actually had to hold a magazine up against the windshield to blot the sun out as it was literally blinding as it rose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont