Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 13,008 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, My fiance and I have been considering relocating from eastern Ohio to Vermont. We are both in our mid twenties and I have a good job here as an Electrical Estimator. I have read many posts on this forum and I sense a lot of negativity about the state in general...high property taxes, no jobs, low wages, high cost of living and high heating bills. I have been to Vermont and find it to be everything I am looking for in a place to finally settle down and be happy. I have a little boy on the way and I would really like to raise him in an environment with many outdoor activities readily available, I love to fish and hike. Also I know vermont gets quite cold, I live in ohio and we see -20 degree days, so I am used to frigid weather.

Finding a job is not a concern, I am a union Electrician and the business manager has told me there is plenty of work. The issue is that the wage is much lower than what I am accustomed to, 19.00 vs 34.00. Hopefully I would be able to find a job as an estimator and not just an electrician and be closer to 30.00 per hour. Does anyone here have any experience in the Electrical field? Another thought is housing..we are looking for 2-5 acres and a small house under the 100k range, it seems like this is possible in the Brandon / Middlebury area. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on that?

p.s. (I know I should not idealize Vermont, I am merely trying to find a nice place to raise a family that is not surrounded by crippled industry) Thank you all for your time!!

Last edited by maxwellrich; 01-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: misclick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 03:27 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellrich View Post
Hello everyone, My fiance and I have been considering relocating from eastern Ohio to Vermont. We are both in our mid twenties and I have a good job here as an Electrical Estimator. I have read many posts on this forum and I sense a lot of negativity about the state in general...high property taxes, no jobs, low wages, high cost of living and high heating bills. I have been to Vermont and find it to be everything I am looking for in a place to finally settle down and be happy. I have a little boy on the way and I would really like to raise him in an environment with many outdoor activities readily available, I love to fish and hike. Also I know vermont gets quite cold, I live in ohio and we see -20 degree days, so I am used to frigid weather.

Finding a job is not a concern, I am a union Electrician and the business manager has told me there is plenty of work. The issue is that the wage is much lower than what I am accustomed to, 19.00 vs 34.00. Hopefully I would be able to find a job as an estimator and not just an electrician and be closer to 30.00 per hour. Does anyone here have any experience in the Electrical field? Another thought is housing..we are looking for 2-5 acres and a small house under the 100k range, it seems like this is possible in the Brandon / Middlebury area. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on that?

p.s. (I know I should not idealize Vermont, I am merely trying to find a nice place to raise a family that is not surrounded by crippled industry) Thank you all for your time!!
If you haven't already, check the job listing boards (Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder, etc) to see what is available and where. You should also be able to find salary estimates on those sites for different parts of the country. I don't know what "business manager" you talked to, but was he talking from experience/knowledge? Was he comparing apples to apples?

There's lots of rural land in VT (it's mostly rural). Just depends on how close or far you want to be from civilization (i.e., grocery stores).

Look on realtor.com to check housing and farms. Look here on City-Data (the main site, not the forums) for information about any area that interests you.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you haven't already, check the job listing boards (Monster, Indeed, CareerBuilder, etc) to see what is available and where. You should also be able to find salary estimates on those sites for different parts of the country. I don't know what "business manager" you talked to, but was he talking from experience/knowledge? Was he comparing apples to apples?

There's lots of rural land in VT (it's mostly rural). Just depends on how close or far you want to be from civilization (i.e., grocery stores).

Look on realtor.com to check housing and farms. Look here on City-Data (the main site, not the forums) for information about any area that interests you.
Thank you very much for your reply! All of the things that you have mentioned are very good suggestions and I have been looking at houses every single day for the last few months on zillow. Sorry for not clarifying but the business manager I was referring to is essentially in charge of Vermonts ibew union Local 30. So yes he does have first hand experience in the state of vermont. He has offered to set me up with a few interviews I guess I am just working up the courage to take the plunge!!

Old 01-22-2016, 07:18 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Do you have a good amount of savings to fall back on if it doesn't work out? If so I say go for it.
I would suggest renting first though. It'll give you a chance to get a feel for the area and find the town that would fit you best.
I love the Middlebury-Brandon area. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 AM

809 posts, read 997,533 times
A low-cost way to check out the scene would be house-sitting. There are any number of people who flee south and need their house tended for 4-6 months. Some tenders charge, some do it for free and some homeowners charge the tenders. Check it out. This might give you quite a bit of cushion in housing costs.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I have a decent chunk of changed saved up and after my house is sold I will have a good bit more. I had previously thought of renting but with dogs I think that It would be difficult to find a place. I also have a very large accumulation of things I would be bringing with me so I would need a way to store them.

We do not have any student loans or credit card debt and only 1 vehicle payment so I am hoping that even if we decide to by a place in Vermont instead of renting, the lower wage I may have to accept may not be a complete deal breaker. Does anyone think finding a decent place with a few acres and a garage is possible under 100k?? Thank you all for your time

Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Strange, just 40 miles south, or southwest and you get everything you say you want in Ohio. SE Ohio is remote, underdeveloped and it has more forests and parks than one could possibly handle. It is warmer and less gloomy than VT too. Just make sure you are not chasing a hype/myth as seen on TV.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Strange, just 40 miles south, or southwest and you get everything you say you want in Ohio. SE Ohio is remote, underdeveloped and it has more forests and parks than one could possibly handle. It is warmer and less gloomy than VT too. Just make sure you are not chasing a hype/myth as seen on TV.
Thanks for the reply! I have been to southeastern ohio 100's of times as well as visited the forests. It is a very nice area but there are not many jobs available and is not anywhere near as nice as vermont (not to mention the absence of mountains). I'm not sure why you think it is less gloomy? It's pretty much gloomy and gray here from november to march. I appreciate your insight and I will take it in to consideration!

Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I have a decent chunk of changed saved up and after my house is sold I will have a good bit more. I had previously thought of renting but with dogs I think that It would be difficult to find a place. I also have a very large accumulation of things I would be bringing with me so I would need a way to store them.
You might want to sort through your "accumulation of things" and sell/donate some before you move. It's not cheap to move stuff. If you end up renting for a year, you could get a storage unit for your "things."

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I have been to southeastern ohio 100's of times as well as visited the forests. It is a very nice area but there are not many jobs available and is not anywhere near as nice as vermont (not to mention the absence of mountains). I'm not sure why you think it is less gloomy? It's pretty much gloomy and gray here from november to march. I appreciate your insight and I will take it in to consideration!
VT is all around gloomy, the vibe is gloomy, November, April or June, spooky at the times. Small too , small and overpriced, everybody and his dog tries to make a living in overpriced crafts. VT mountain peaks are just two to three times higher than major Ohio hills. People? You can get good taste of reclusive detachment, NE is famous for, in Ohio. I am not even sure who is more messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont