Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 66,643 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to VT from Florida. We are a lesbian family with 6 children ages ranging from 14years-7months. Ideally we would like to live in an area with good schools, affordable housing (with some land) that is diverse. Finding secure employment is also a consideration. My partner is a home health administrator (RN) and I am and administrator in a human service organization (MSW.)
I have just started my research and would appreciate any suggestions. Also, how do taxes and insurance (property and vehicle) compare.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Hello and welcome! I hope you'll find Vermont friendly and offering the resources you seek.

What attracted you to consider Vermont for relocation? If you can describe some of that, we might be able to offer more relevant suggestions. Meanwhile, for more diversity-friendly towns, I recommend checking in and around . . .

Brattleboro
/Putney
Burlington
Montpelier
Norwich

Not necessarily in that order. Burlington is by far the largest & most diverse, but also is more expensive than the other towns.

I quite like Brattleboro & Putney for a balance of affordability and diversity. At a public hearing I attended there recently, one speaker started her talk with, "In the Queendom of Brattleboro . . ." Gotta love it! :-)

I don't know where you are in Florida, but my Vermont home & vehicle insurance are a tiny fraction of what I paid in Miami. Property taxes, on the other hand, are waaaay higher than anything I've seen in Florida. Some people consider VT property taxes prohibitive. I am happy to work harder, earn less, and pay more to live in a beautiful state with relatively few people. I think it's all about what you value and consider priorities.

I'm a field organizer for the Vermont Freedom to Marry Task Force. If you'd like to catch up on marriage equality issues in Vermont, I'll recommend our website. Issues that gay/lesbian families face are the major focus of our work.

/\ /\
= ` ` = Sheryl

Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 66,643 times
Thanks for your reply. We want to move because we are tired of the heat and the mold. We live near Orlando, so it is crowded. I lived in Michigan until I was 30. My partner grew up in Maryland. We want the kids to be able to enjoy seasons and all the things that go with it. I would love to be in the country, but with all the kids, it is important to be close to schools, medical care, etc. Florida taxes are on the rise but not that bad yet. Property insurance has become very high... because you never know when Orlando will have another hurricane...
Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
In addition to Sherylcatmom's suggestions, I'd recommend the Middlebury area. It's home to Middlebury College and is a beautiful and very tolerant college town about 45 minutes from Burlington. It's somewhat unique in that you can find more affordable homes within 2-3 miles of town in a rural setting, allowing you to enjoy a more serene country setting while being very close-in to the heart of town.

I grew up in Vermont, and I've lived in/near the cities/towns of Burlington, Essex and Middlebury. Middlebury is easily as tolerant as Burlington. In fact, Vermont's Freedom to Marry Task Force was begun in Middlebury with the help of my former attorney, Beth Robinson, who played a key role in the passage of the VT Civil Union law:

Vermont Civil-Unions Activist Beth Robinson Honored (TAMFS)

Sean

Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Sean, Beth is my boss! :-) I feel so lucky to be learning from the best.

I completely agree with you about Middlebury. Last night as I was typing the other towns' names, I kept thinking, "There's one more I should be mentioning. What IS it?" Thanks for filling in the blank.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
I agree that Brattleboro/Putney area to consider as well as Middlebury. I would also consider Northfield/Warren vicinity because it will give you some country living and close proximity to Montpelier for additional employment opportunities.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,762 times
Smile hope you moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto6 View Post
We are considering relocating to VT from Florida. We are a lesbian family with 6 children ages ranging from 14years-7months. Ideally we would like to live in an area with good schools, affordable housing (with some land) that is diverse. Finding secure employment is also a consideration. My partner is a home health administrator (RN) and I am and administrator in a human service organization (MSW.)
I have just started my research and would appreciate any suggestions. Also, how do taxes and insurance (property and vehicle) compare.
Thanks
I am part of a lesbian couple, we moved here over two years ago (vermont) and have never regretted one day. We love Vermont, the diversity. We moved to Hinesburg, 20 minutes from Burlington, cheaper but beautiful. We live on a dirt road in the woods.
Work is close in Burlington, should have no trouble getting a job as an RN.
I saw this post many months after it was written, hope you moved already or are in the process. You can get married in September

Last edited by nina1810; 06-05-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: made no sense

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
Am I the only non-gay person on this board?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Am I the only non-gay person on this board?
I've been pegged as a lesbian more times than I can count simply because I work for Vermont Freedom to Marry. When that happens, I always say, "Thank you!"

Funny thing is, in my work on behalf of nonhuman animals, no one ever says to me, "You must think you're a cat!" Or, "You wish you were married to your cat instead of your husband, don't you?"

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I've been pegged as a lesbian more times than I can count simply because I work for Vermont Freedom to Marry. When that happens, I always say, "Thank you!"

I have to admit I made that assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont