Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,160 times

Advertisements

My husband, 15 yr. old son, 3.5 yr. old daughter and I are looking to move to VT. Quiet neighborhood, but close enought to shopping. I've been looking at maps, crime rate, etc... Does anyone recommend a place to start?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 06:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,280,513 times
By shopping do you mean mall/big box shopping?
Burlington is Vermont's largest "city". The population of the Burlington area is around 200K. There are a couple malls and your typical big box stores - no Target though -UGH!
Bennington is an hour away from the Albany area for your shopping needs. White River Junction area has typical big box stores-no mall though.
Rutland has a small mall and a couple big boxes.
Most Vermont neighborhoods are quiet - even Burlington, away from the college area.
There is crime everywhere...most crime in Vermont seems to be centered around drugs - lots of conveniece store/gas station robberies lately. Vermont overall is very, very safe. I have lived here just about my whole life (lived in MA for a bit after college) and have never had any problems whatsoever.
Start reading the local newspapers. The Burlington Free Press, Rutland Herald, Barre Montpelier Times-Argus, Bennington Banner, and the Brattleboro Reformer to name a few.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,761,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter
Start reading the local newspapers. The Burlington Free Press, Rutland Herald, Barre Montpelier Times-Argus, Bennington Banner, and the Brattleboro Reformer to name a few.
Excellent suggestion - also the Stowe Reporter, it's online, just Google the name. Check out the wonderful magazine "Vermont Life."
Take driving trips there if you can. You have to see Vermont to really understand what is there. Vermont is not like any other place. *sigh*

Vter - what section of the glorious state of Vermont are you in?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,280,513 times
Hey there - I was born and raised in the Northeast Kingdom and now live in Northern Addison County...whereabouts are you?

Old 08-03-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter
Hey there - I was born and raised in the Northeast Kingdom and now live in Northern Addison County...whereabouts are you?
Let's see, would that put you in the general area of Vergennes?

My husband's family goes back generations in St. Albans. The first generation of his dad's family to be born outside of Vermont was in fact, his dad! First generation flat-lander.

My DH's poor little grandma (started life as a Vermont farm girl) pined away for Vermont the rest of her life, but her sons were in PA so she stayed even after she became a widow. She is buried in the cemetary in St. Albans, and I always felt sad that is what it took for her to return to her beloved VT.

We have a little second home in Stowe, and go there as often as possible. Our kids were raised with Vermont as a second home, and when they are all off in college and we retire, we plan on spending at least half the year there. Maybe even some of "mud season!" We'll be leaving soon to spend most of August in gorgeous VT - can't wait!

Old 08-08-2006, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,087 times
If shopping is important to you avoid moving to Vermont! Only "big" city is Burlington and that is pretty small, but quite lovely, situated on lake champlain.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 AM

23 posts, read 92,795 times
Coki
When I first looked into living in Vermont, my now 17 yr old daughter said "Is there a Hot Topic store there?" Yes, Burlington has a couple of good malls, but you will find a lot of joy in the local stores here. I have noticed that my daughter is not a fan of being in the Malls here, she also prefers to go into stores that are owned by our neighbors. I like the fact that with my children, outside of shopping, there is a lot to do here for young families, and families with teens. I feel very good about raising my kids here. I work in the health field here, and I have worked in Daycares here, so I have looked to see how the kids are being treated.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 AM

Back from our month long visit to beautiful Vermont. Boy, was it hard to pack up the car and head home! We just love the pristine beauty, great food and friendly folks.

We had a wonderful surprise one day visiting Burlington. New stores in the town center, construction in their mall. DD did some early fall shopping at Abercrombie & Fitch (one of the few stores that carry her tiny jeans size...OUCH at the checkout!), as well as Urban Outfitters. (I usually have to drive into Philadelphia to go to those stores, a good hour and a half from where I live.) Cache', Coldwater Creek & Talbots for me - I was impressed with the stores there. The outlets in Essex Junction are very good too.

DD and DS were impressed with the campus of UVM as well. Imagine going to school just a minute from a gorgeous lake! It does get cold in the winter to be sure, but worth it - a great town and university.

We're looking at the calendar and planning our next trip to Vermont. It's just not like any other place I've been to.

Also, I read that Vermont has been voted the #1 Smartest State in the U.S. I'd list the website, but I'm sure it'll be scrubbed. Google: Morgan Quinto Press.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:40 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,791,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricew View Post
If shopping is important to you avoid moving to Vermont! Only "big" city is Burlington and that is pretty small, but quite lovely, situated on lake champlain.
I beg to differ patricew:

I'd say - if you want to shop mainly at places which carry goods made in countries where collective bargaining is illegal - you'll be puzzled by the options available in VT.

If you like choice - meaning it's possible to buy produce, furniture, ice cream, food, clothing etc etc etc BOTH at the box stores AND from your neighbors - check VT out.

I can do all the shopping I want in VT. And often, I'm buying from a neighbor.

If you want 7 flavors of brand name clothing/toys/food/books/electronics in the latest styles - You can not only find it in the exurban box stores and malls, you can ALSO find it on main street. Heck - I live in Downtown Burlington and I can walk to several hardware stores, bakeries, AND the Old Navy/Gap/Starbucks etc etc etc etc ec etc etc area!

I'd post some links here, but...

Choice is good

It's not 1961 here anymore

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont