Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 AM

119 posts, read 552,476 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying a small lake front vacation home in New Hampshire, Vermont or Maine. We have 3 children (15, 9, 7) who are all good swimmers. When I was growing up, we spent summers renting a place on Lake Winnepasauke (sp?) for the month of August. I have such fond memories of this, that we are hoping top create that for our children as well. We live in the Boston area and wouldn't want more than a 2 1/2-3 hour drive. We would spend approx. 400K on a home. Is this just a pipe dream, or does this sound like a reasonable request for a vacation home? Does anybody out there have any recommendations for areas within that price range, distance, etc? We would be forever grateful for any advice... Thank you all in advance. BTW, we are looking to buy in 2009...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Try looking in the Champlain Islands - North Hero, South Hero, Alburgh, Isle La Motte, & Grand Isle. I think you could ifnd something there in your price range.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
I don't think I would buy a place like that... no let me rephrase that... I KNOW I wouldn't buy a place like that. Taxes, the possibility (even probability) of vandalism, maintenence, insurance, and a bunch of other hidden costs and potential problems would make the overall experience less than desirable and hugely expensive.

Renting a house for a summer or three would be far less expensive and more enjoyable, without the risk of finding out after purchase that you have noisy drunken neighbors, or can't spray for mosquitos and sand fleas and no-see-ums which go through your screens, or have bad drinking water, or a failing septic system, etc..

I think I'd classify it more as a pipe nightmare than a pipe dream, unless you have money to throw away and plan to use a professional property manager. Also, what was a great growing up experience for you might end up being a rotton one for one or all of your kids. Buying them a bike is one thing, investing hundreds of thousands in lightly used real estate, based on a memory, is another.

BTW, if you have any other spare money to waste, I'll happily accept it. I have to build a barn, get a tractor, put up fencing, turn a gully into a pond, dig a new well, clear some brush...

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM

72 posts, read 213,964 times
Central VT Real Estate - Rutland VT Real Estate - Bomoseen VT Homes - VT Real Estate - Lakes Region Vermont Realty - CENTURY 21 Bird Real Estate - VT Realty - Bed and Breakfast VT
this might get you started. i only know this area. we bought several years ago and vacationed here several other. there is some wisdom to renting instead of buying. we bought for my wife and my self not our three kids. the kids love vacationing here but they may grow out of it soon. it has not been a large burden to maintain but it also doesn't rent easy. the houses you will see are half what you are looking to spend. the area is very friendly and close to rutland which has everything you could need. hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times
I disagree with chickpea. We have a vacation home on lake Champlain and couldn't be happier. We have young ones and they love coming up for the summer from the Ny metro area. The key is research, research and more research. It took us three years to find what we wanted - researched different areas, talked to neighbors and understood our budget. Maintenance is a given, vandalism - none. Would never agree that renting is better - unless you rent until you figure out where you want to be. $400k is tight for lake champlain and would only get you a camp at best (ie not year round) but other lakes may make sense.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the positive responses! They were hugely helpful.

I neglected to mention that my parents (after we no longer rented on the lake) bought a vacation home in Warren Vermont when we were teenagers....OMG, what a mistake that was. At the time, we were the only ones on this mountain with nothing around except trees for miles and miles. Imagine, a family of seven (five pre-teenagers/teenagers) hauling it up to Vermont every weekend just after they reduced the speed limit on the highways from 65 to 55MPH. Not only that, but we all had to fit into the Olds '98 with the two elderly dogs jumping around in the back seat for the 4 1/2 hour trip. I remember my brother had to sit up in the front on the arm rest.... They sold the house a few years later.... At the time, my older sisters found a "nude" swimming hole (which were popular in the early 70s) and had the time of their lives!!! Ironically, we all wish they still had it. What a beautiful area!

Still, we think a place where kids can swim, water ski, a shorter drive, and an opportunity to being their friends when they are older is ideal. Nice place for Mom and Dad to retire as well!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 25,726 times
HI there...

I would also disagree with chickpea.... We are from Metro DC area... Our budget was quite a bit tighter than yours but we looked on the NY side of Lake Champlain... in Plattsburgh... You could also look in Peru/Valcour/Port Henry.. etc... and down that side of the lake... Some nice little places...

Yes maintenence... we take care of that in the summer... and it is some work... but that's because we do everything ourself... as we try to save $$$. But no place we would rather be on a gorgeous summer NY day. No crime to speak of... We generally winterize in the Fall... and reopen in the Spring/early summer... but our place is considered year round if need be... We have a family friend staying there now consistantly when we aren't there...

The prices were cheaper... and we found what we loved... Our "camp" (has stainless applicances and granite countertops) but is a bit rustic interior..... we've affectionally called it "SERENITY NOW"....and is fantastic... but you need to buy with eyes wide open... We've got 4 kiddies... and we spend around 6 weeks in the summer in NY... My husband in the past has commuted (flies) out of Burlington back and forth to DC as needed ..... or sometimes he's able to be completely be remote and work in NY thru the summer.

We're able to get hi speed modem acess/ cable... and all the finer things... Plattsburgh not as "cultured" as Burlington IMHO... but we're there for the Lake... not culture... as we're from DC and have plenty of options for that throughout the school year....

Do not be discouraged if it's something you would like to do... We are happy... although sometimes we get frustrated... all in all it's been a blessing... but it's a juggling act...

Don't think it will be perfect... and there is an adjustment period.... It takes a bit to get to the "routine" down... Beware... it's never enough time there... although we are pretty far from the cottage and can't make it there for short weekends...... My hubby might disagree about "there never being enough time"... He feels like he's being punished and "put in a corner" when he has to work in his office and he can hear all the kiddies playing, laughing, and splashing in the lake...

Generally by the end of the summer and chaos... as we have the place locked up and drive away... All the kids and I are crying so sad to say goodbye... and my husband is grinning wildly... with a mantra of "Sanity and order NOW"... Can't wait to get to our real "home"....

Best of luck....

Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM

226 posts, read 693,954 times
For Sale By Owner Vermont

Real Estate Vermont For Sale By Owner Homes - FSBO Vermont New Hampshire - Picket Fence Preview

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM

Thank you again- these posts are so helpful! Thinking a lot of Fern Lake....

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM

8 posts, read 25,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trionetriathlon View Post
Thank you again- these posts are so helpful! Thinking a lot of Fern Lake....
I say stay away from Fern Lake (IMHO) but of course some may disagree... I know people who have a place on the lake.... It's very small (the lake)... tends to get swampy, weedy, and icky... etc... It's not considered one of the "go to" places, as far as I'm concerned... For lakefront... I would stay with Lake Champlain if it's possible.

Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont