Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
It's not nearly as bad or as risky as in Alaska, I know as I was up there for over 21 years. We have relatively few local jerks on the roads here, the majority of the careless are the visitors. Now I am not picking on them, just stating fact. In the almost three years I have been here the few regular folks in a "rush" on my road seem to have slowed down considerably, especially when they see me coming. I guess what motivated them was the fact that when I saw someone coming at me at a faster clip than legal, safe, or pudent, I would slow down considerably and give them a very focused stare. Mind you, nothing rude or aggressive, just a stare where it was obvious that they knew someone was very much interested in who was driving. After only a few times they got the hint that their behavior probably was not appreciated and they adjusted accordingly. I also assume that the vet plate might also help as some might think I am having a "flashback'.
Hi, what part of Alaska did you live in. Just curious as to why you left. I do know that Vermont is a beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Hi, what part of Alaska did you live in. Just curious as to why you left. I do know that Vermont is a beautiful state.
Lived in Anchorage for the entire time, but did get to travel to many other locations in Ak. My time up there split amost evenly between the military and working for the MOA. We decided to leave when we did partially for familiy reasons and we also did not want to retire up there and figured at least by being back in the lower 48 we would have an easier time checking out different places.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Default Just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Lived in Anchorage for the entire time, but did get to travel to many other locations in Ak. My time up there split amost evenly between the military and working for the MOA. We decided to leave when we did partially for familiy reasons and we also did not want to retire up there and figured at least by being back in the lower 48 we would have an easier time checking out different places.
How do you compare the people in Vermont to those in Anchorage? I know folks are basically the same all over; some nice, and some not, but just wondered if you noticed any big differences in them. Don't know when you left Anchorage, but it is now inhabited by lots of yuppies who have come up here with their politically correct agenda and trying to make it just like the place they left. Anchorage has definitely lost it's "first frontier" charm.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
How do you compare the people in Vermont to those in Anchorage? I know folks are basically the same all over; some nice, and some not, but just wondered if you noticed any big differences in them. Don't know when you left Anchorage, but it is now inhabited by lots of yuppies who have come up here with their politically correct agenda and trying to make it just like the place they left. Anchorage has definitely lost it's "first frontier" charm.
Can't really compare Anchorage for the most part to Vermont because there are too many differences. Anchorage during my time '83-'05 remained a transient society and along with city issues also has a crime issue which was high on the list for us to leave. The Alaska frontier atmosphere probably in reality ended in the years after the quake '64 to the beginning of the pipeline boom years. I would say that about the most viable comparison would be the cost of living, but even that is not true because taxes here in Vt are much higher, so the increased cost of consumer goods in Ak is evened out with a much lower tax burden which in the case of Anchorage involves only property tax. As far as folks moving in trying to make their area meet the standards of where they came from, that happens here as anywhere where you get a new influx. I saw it in Southern NH 30 years ago when folks moved in to escape the urban/suburban life and loved the quiet rural atmosphere, but after a few years they worm their way into town planning and administration and before you know the list of projects and costs associated with them becomes oppressive to the folks who moved there to keep it the way it was. Thus, another migration starts as the community now appeals to even more potential transplants and causes many to alo sell and leave.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Fair warning: if you speed in Chester or Woodstock, you will get hit with a ticket...terrifc postings...I remember when I first moved to VT, quite some time ago, and I was 'zipping down' Rte 131, there was a backup of cars and we were sitting for awhile. My frame of reference, back then at least, well...there must be an accident....and I kept waiting and thought, yikes, this has to be a really bad accident or a lot of cars involved to have to wait this long...and finally and very slowly, we were able to inch our way down the road...and finally came to the "spot"...it was not a car accident, it was a cow who had opted to take a stroll outside of the fencing and had not made up her mind yet where she wanted to be....it was funny and it certainly made me realize that I definitely 'was not in Kansas' any more, well certainly not in CT!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Fair warning: if you speed in Chester or Woodstock, you will get hit with a ticket...terrifc postings...I remember when I first moved to VT, quite some time ago, and I was 'zipping down' Rte 131, there was a backup of cars and we were sitting for awhile. My frame of reference, back then at least, well...there must be an accident....and I kept waiting and thought, yikes, this has to be a really bad accident or a lot of cars involved to have to wait this long...and finally and very slowly, we were able to inch our way down the road...and finally came to the "spot"...it was not a car accident, it was a cow who had opted to take a stroll outside of the fencing and had not made up her mind yet where she wanted to be....it was funny and it certainly made me realize that I definitely 'was not in Kansas' any more, well certainly not in CT!
The Chester Police certainly make sure that out-of-state speeders contribute to the town coffer!

Coming N on 103 a just past the BBQ joint, is the first of many speed traps. And they are right on top of the traffic heading on 11 through the village green area -- do not go 1 mph over the limit. Town hall is over by the train tracks and they always get some fool who was blasting up or down 103 by Lisai's.

One afternoon we were up and around Pittsford taking a ride when we came upon the local rush hour -- a herd of cows were being ushered from the pasture and they had to cross the road to the barn. I don't mind that sort of traffic!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
I know exactly! the two Chester locations...and you are absolutely correct, not 1 mile over the speed limit....and for Woodstock, going north on 106...there are two locations, just past GMHA where the road begins to veer, the speed limit is lowered, don't make a mistake there at all and the other, heading into the Village on 106, the limit is 25, don't do 26. Trust me, that one I know from personal experience. I was fortunate to have gotten out of that ticket pretty much based on all the things my mom had always told me never to do:...never go out in your robe even if is underneath a coat; never go out without your wallet which always has your license in it; always have your registration in the car along with your insurance card; and never wear slippers when you are driving....so, based on all of those nevers and, fortunately one never I obeyed, I had my registration and insurance card with me... the Woodstock officer, I am sure took pity on me, reminded me not to wear slippers, robes and to carry my wallet...and let me go. I learned serious lessons that day!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I know exactly! the two Chester locations...and you are absolutely correct, not 1 mile over the speed limit....and for Woodstock, going north on 106...there are two locations, just past GMHA where the road begins to veer, the speed limit is lowered, don't make a mistake there at all and the other, heading into the Village on 106, the limit is 25, don't do 26. Trust me, that one I know from personal experience. I was fortunate to have gotten out of that ticket pretty much based on all the things my mom had always told me never to do:...never go out in your robe even if is underneath a coat; never go out without your wallet which always has your license in it; always have your registration in the car along with your insurance card; and never wear slippers when you are driving....so, based on all of those nevers and, fortunately one never I obeyed, I had my registration and insurance card with me... the Woodstock officer, I am sure took pity on me, reminded me not to wear slippers, robes and to carry my wallet...and let me go. I learned serious lessons that day!
I have been VERY obedient of the speed locally and I've seen the trap by the GMHA.

I was pulled over once by the VSP on I-91 4 years ago. I was running late to get back to the house to accept delivery of a new piece of furniture. Everyone was in the car -- hubby, kids & 4 dogs. My son spilled his drink on himself, I became a raving lunatic asking everyone to clean it up and blasted past the moving trooper -- I didn't even see him in my Mommy clean up tunnel vision mode.

I was pulled over near exit 3 and when asked if I knew why, I was shaking, visibly upset and acknowledged my wrong doing immediately as I handed over the license, reg and insurance. My license and tags are NY so he wasn't thrilled with me. He asked what the hurry was and I explained - the drink, the furniture, the dogs barking -- I was fried. He asked where I was going, I gave him the exact address and then I apologized and unrolled my son's window so he could see the mess which had me frantic.

He asked if I always speed in response to spilled drinks. I told him that I was just so ticked that I didn't even realize that I did until I saw his lights (truth) and pulled over ASAP.

He issued a written warning.

To this day we is refer to it as 'The Frappaccino Incident'; since that day I go with the flow of the traffic and do not allow anything other than water in my car.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM

231 posts, read 869,409 times
While on the subject....hang up the phone too.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,049 times
Default grateful to be behind a tractor

It can be annoying to be behind the International Harvester, but I am glad to see them because it means someone is still farming. My extended family still owns the family farm in Minnesota (since 1865) and there are fewer farms every year. Developers keep buying up the land in the area because it is within an hour of the Twin Cities. I am looking forward to being in Vermont in a few months and will be glad to slow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont