Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

My partner and I want to move back East to be closer to family. We're from Massachusetts, but we don't want to move back there. The Burlington and Lake Champlain area have always been one of my favorite parts of New England. After having seen the big skies and horizons out west I'd have to say there aren't too many corners of New England that have extraordinary sunsets. But the open horizon of Lake Champlain with sunsets over the Adirondacks are the best sunsets I've seen in the Northeast. Definitely something I appreciate.

I've been looking at rentals and real estate in St. Albans and it looks like a reasonable price range and within commuting distance (yes/no?) of Burlington. I like the location within just over an hours drive to Montreal, but also being on the lake and fairly close to Jay Peak. Looking at the small businesses downtown, it seems there's enough to go around for good beer and good food. Wondering if anyone who knows St. Albans well enough can offer some perspective on what kind of community it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 05:13 PM

133 posts, read 559,130 times
I'm no expert on the area by any means. My wife and I stumbled upon St Albans about 10 years ago on a motorcycle ride to Canada....We have made our way back or through several times since and real enjoy the hell out of it....
"Downtown" has a very modern /cool vibe but the setting is very much old school New England....Beautiful place.....
People seem nice, interesting eatery's and a few bars. I think they have a local theater group ....
Burlington's only a half hour away so there is plenty of things near by.....You could do a lot worse..

Old 12-25-2016, 06:05 AM

73 posts, read 101,521 times
Your traditional suburbia, family oriented, up and coming downtown. All the modern conveniences. To conservative for me. Traditional Americana. Not the real representative of "Vermont". I consider the area's along the lake to be the "fake vermont".
My brother lives there.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:20 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Most of your assessment seems correct, except "commute." Do-able, but not comfortable. Winooski? Maybe. One other note, the sunsets from Burlington are somewhat unique, due to a very specific weather effect as air over the Adirondacks hits the lake. It is visible from Charlotte to Colchester, but not much beyond that. You MIGHT see them from Underhill on some days.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Most of your assessment seems correct, except "commute." Do-able, but not comfortable. Winooski? Maybe. One other note, the sunsets from Burlington are somewhat unique, due to a very specific weather effect as air over the Adirondacks hits the lake. It is visible from Charlotte to Colchester, but not much beyond that. You MIGHT see them from Underhill on some days.
Like good sunsets most places, I've tried to get it in photos while on the Burlington waterfront, but they don't really capture one iota of what it's like to be there and watch it. Yeah winter commutes from St. Albans to say Williston don't sound very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
I'm no expert on the area by any means. My wife and I stumbled upon St Albans about 10 years ago on a motorcycle ride to Canada....We have made our way back or through several times since and real enjoy the hell out of it....
"Downtown" has a very modern /cool vibe but the setting is very much old school New England....Beautiful place.....
People seem nice, interesting eatery's and a few bars. I think they have a local theater group ....
Burlington's only a half hour away so there is plenty of things near by.....You could do a lot worse..
This sounds like the kind of community I could get into. I'm going up there to check it out next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont