Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM

94 posts, read 346,364 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. We are getting married October 18th and are planning our honeymoon in the New England region. We are planning on visiting VT, NH, and MA. We love to stay at B and B's, but we have done some looking already, and it looks like the area jacks the prices for rooms up around Halloween.

We will be bringing our bikes. We would like to ride rail trails or city paths together, and I like to mountain bike. We also are looking forward to visiting small towns and enjoying shopping areas, and love fine dinning.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
For Vermont, you may want to consider spending part of your time in Burlington. It's not a small town, but a small city. Lots of great shopping & dining, but what caused me to recommend Burlington is your "request" for biking areas...Burlington has a great recreation path that goes from the waterfront, up into Colchester, and out into Mallet's Bay on an old rail bed. It's gorgeous. There are also trails in the Intervale. Google Causeway Park Colchester and Burlington Rec Dept for info on the bike path system.
After Burlington, if you'd like to see small town Vermont, head down toward Woodstock. Beautiful small town with plenty of dining & lodging opportunities and shopping.
The reason the prices are high is that time of year is the end of foliage season which is very busy in Vermont. You'll probably be too late to see good foliage at the end of October, but it will be less crowded and still scenic.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Thank you, that sounds perfect. My fiance had bought a book on touring New England that had a fold out map, and I had already mentioned that Burlington looked like a good base to stay at and venture out in to different areas. I believe it's near Killington too, correct?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
No..Killington is 2ish hours south of Burlington. Maybe you are thinking of Stowe (which by the way, has another great rec path) which is a little under an hour away.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
No..Killington is 2ish hours south of Burlington. Maybe you are thinking of Stowe (which by the way, has another great rec path) which is a little under an hour away.
Ok, sounds great.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

35 posts, read 195,216 times
go to burlington and eat at asiana house if you like japanese food. that is all.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM

226 posts, read 693,558 times
I like Sakura better, but both Burlington & Stowe have a lot of great restaurants:
7dSpot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont