Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 14,096 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both Veterans and we are looking to settle somewhere in the New England area (w/VT and ME in mind). We have kids so education, safe area, family oriented people are much needed. We love life outdoors and the houses and land seem right up our alley (aside from high property tax) but that's not much of an issue. We want to know more about this town: weather, people, life outdoors, education etc. My husband will commute so he will need to be near larger cities or possibly travel out of state. I will be home with the kids and wanting to grow and raise our own food on our own land. I have never lived in extreme weather conditions so i have no idea what that is like. Husband grew up in NH and he def doesn't miss the cold. I want to raise our family in a good area that is safe for the kids and we want land and more freedom away from city life. We keep to ourselves for the most part and we're pretty easy going so no need for social entertainment unless it is family oriented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,773,878 times
kimichanga, I have never been to North Troy but up there on the border is not close to any cities for your husband. In VT, the only real city is going to be Burlington where you have the airport too for his distance travel. I'd look at the smaller towns within commuting distance to Burlington. If along the Interstate 89 corridor you'd have an easy commute into Burlington and could range further from Burlington given the easy commute.

If you move here in the spring/summer then you'd get the temperature adjustment in small increments during the autumn and early winter rather than arriving in the dead of winter and getting it all at once. I don't mind the cold but start to melt when it gets above 80 so the climate is just fine by me, but for others from warm climates it would take some getting used to. Winter has some real advantages too such as no yard chores other than shoveling some snow or bringing wood in for the wood stove.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:28 PM

542 posts, read 704,353 times
I'm sorry are you sure your talking about North Troy Vermont? There is literally nothing up there. No need to worry about crime I think there are 500 people spread out over many many miles. This area is a going to be about as rural and isolated as you can get, freezing cold, average household income is $25,000. There is no nearby city. Are you sure you are not thinking of Troy NY?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:20 PM

496 posts, read 467,907 times
North Troy. There is nothing in North Troy. Nothing. Seriously. The only benefit is if you like to ski, you are about 30 minutes from Jay Peak. The closest city is almost 2 hours away, all on secondary roads. Not even close to an interstate. Newport would be the closet town of any size, abiut 20 minutes away, and it only has around 5k people and has the highest unemployment rate in the state. Schools are nothing to write home about.

Unless you have a reason to buy here, I'd look elsewhere. Outskirts of Burlington is really nice but a bit pricey.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,976 times
Maine is much colder being so close to the ocean, more than Vermont- Both have long winters, and usually hits freezing temperatures in the negative during winter months more months out of the year then warm months. To grow your own food I would say that Vermont would be a much easier time to do that, there are farmer's markets in many towns of Vermont, farming and sugaring are big parts of Vermont's heritage. Dairy is another past time besides jarring your own for storing of your natural foods, or remedies. A good area be some parts of Vermont, North Troy- unless you buy a home on the outside of inner city then I would not recommend it, the area is close to Jay Peak skiing, waterpark now, but North Troy is known as a high crime area a few years back, it's another entrance into Canada.
"More freedom away from city life" could be either Maine or Vermont, but Vermont is warmer per se more than Maine would be, NH is close to Vermont temperatures during the winter, NH would be considered on the more cold side being closer to Maine. Extreme weather conditions means wearing layers of clothing, warm boots, keeping yourself hydrated, and just really enjoying the spring and summer when it comes. Definitely winter gear (snow pants/snow suit, coat, warm socks, gloves, layers of shirts, warm and secure foot gear such as boots).
Best wishes to you and your family! Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM

32 posts, read 37,133 times
Consider Southeastern Vermont! It's about 10 degrees warmer down here on average and we have lots of small towns. It's easy to isolate here or be a part of the community. Brattleboro is our city center and while it is small, it has lots of amenities. Tons of family-oriented activities both in Bratt and within the smaller surrounding towns. On top of that, you are 45 minutes-2 hours to all the city and travel amenities you could occasionally need.

feel free to PM me for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont