Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,225,632 times

Advertisements

My husband used to boil sap, but it takes alot of time! We did it one season together and it was educational for the kids. I told him that I want to set up one in the yard and tap a few trees for our only personal syrup supply. I don't want to spend what it goes for in the stores...but I enjoy the taste on pancakes and I also like to sweeten my coffee with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,134,915 times
We love it, too! During this flu and even now that we're much better, we've been drinking a tea of fresh ginger root boiled in water, lime juice, and maple syrup. Mmmmm!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Air

150 posts, read 538,126 times
There is a whole row of sugar shacks (cabanes à sucre) at this location in Mont-St-Gabriel in Québec.

La Goudrelle (http://www.goudrelle.com/anglais/index.html - broken link)

They have big dining halls, free 'tire' where you throw the syrup on the snow, they had free sleigh rides when there was snow (but there is still a little left), one of the places has a whole maze of tree houses and canopies to play on.

I think the syrup is cheaper in Québec, 5.99CAD per 540 ml (19 oz) can in any supermarket or stand.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
The wife and I went up to Bragg Farm on Easter Sunday mainly cause they advertised "sugar on snow" that day. Well, they decided not to do it due to lack of customers and there were a couple of other problems there.

One hassle was we bought a couple of maple creamees and some Vermont Morning oatmeal, total $9. When I tried to pay with my Chitteden debit/credit card the lady at the counter exclaimed that they had a $10 minimum. Didn't want any hassle so I didn't tell her that requiring a minimum cc purchase is now illegal in Vermont.

We were already eating the creamee's so can't return them...:lol:. Not a big deal as they were selling some old postcards with my images on them and needing them for my files I simply purchased a few of them and we were good to go.....or leave in this case. There were other hassles.....

Went over to Morse Farm, Burt was there boiling some sap although the sap wasn't running that day and we had a fun time snowshoeing around their sugarbush. The views are awesome.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM

143 posts, read 564,300 times
Sterling College in Craftsbury Common has a quaint little sugar shack that the students built. It's the place to sit and talk during the season and it's one of my favorite college memories. It opened about 6 years ago and they had a nice turn out of students and locals. Sugar on Snow was a big hit up there, and there use to be a restaurant a mile or two down from the campus that boasted all local dishes, including Maple Creamees. Which has to be my favorite type of ice cream, EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: