Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,860,236 times

Advertisements

Just think of how many Vermonter's are 30 minutes to an hour or more away from an ER. Even where I live in the Burlington area should an emergency occur in all probability it would take an hour for response and transport to an ER. This should be a consideration for anyone moving anywhere that have medical conditions, concerns, special needs, for either themselves, family, and pets.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM

26,432 posts, read 46,638,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Just think of how many Vermonter's are 30 minutes to an hour or more away from an ER. Even where I live in the Burlington area should an emergency occur in all probability it would take an hour for response and transport to an ER. This should be a consideration for anyone moving anywhere that have medical conditions, concerns, special needs, for either themselves, family, and pets.

Do quite a number of people who live in the NEK use the Littleton, NH regional hospital? Do you know how highly it is rated?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Fortunately that is one of the pluses of living in this wee bit of eastern VT...we're within 20 minutes (by car) of 2 hospitals. It would be worrying to be so far away from a hospital.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,278 times
Quote:
I'm expecting a baby in January and my biggest fear is not being able to get to the hospital, which is an hour's drive (with clear roads/minimal traffic) from where I live.

I'm praying that there won't be ice or a bad snowstorm when it's time for me to deliver. When I had my two oldest children I was within 10 minutes of the hospital I delivered at and within a 20-30 minute drive of three other hospitals.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,306 times
Thankfully, here in Brattleboro, there is a good hospital, Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, right in town. And there is a branch of Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Keene, about a half hour away. DHMC itself is about 60-80 minutes away, in, I think, Lebanon, NH. And there are hospitals in Greenfield, MA and in Springfield, VT.

I just wish a 24 hour veterinary hospital were closer than VESH (Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Hospital) in South Deerfield, MA. But my local vet, about 10-15 minutes away, has someone on call every night. And there is a large parking area next to the building, which means no time is lost looking for parking.

When I lived in Brooklyn, my local vet was about 5 minutes away, but it sometimes took a while to find parking.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 PM

22 posts, read 61,881 times
People in the NEK generally use North Country Hospital in Newport or the hospital in St. Johnsbury - if they have to go further it's usually Dartmouth in Lebanon, NH or Burlington.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I'm expecting a baby in January and my biggest fear is not being able to get to the hospital, which is an hour's drive (with clear roads/minimal traffic) from where I live.
Lisa - I was under the impression that you lived in Morrisville - is Copley not an option for you? I hope the baby comes during the day when the roads are clear!!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Lisa - I was under the impression that you lived in Morrisville - is Copley not an option for you? I hope the baby comes during the day when the roads are clear!!!!

Copley is only 5 minutes from my house. I would deliver there if I could, but at the moment there are only 2 ob/gyns and one is leaving. The family doctors are all trained in delivering babies in case the ob/gyn is unavailable, but I feel more secure delivering at Fletcher Allen where there is always an ob/gyn on call. Plus Fletcher Allen has a neonatal intensive care unit in case the baby needs special care.

Of course, if I wake up at 2 a.m. in full-force labor I may just have to go there anyway and take my chances.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,533 times
Ahhhh...okay, that makes sense. Well, at least you do have the safety net if you need it!!! But I'll still keep my fingers crossed for a 'clear roads' delivery!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
Thumbs down Get real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheera05148 View Post
I think Vermont is a communist state. Their media smokescreen for being considered liberal is just that, a smokescreen. It is very communistic in their day to day living. The state is run with an ironfist, so in order to live here, you have to be squeaky clean, especially if your a social misfit of any kind. (Gay, druggee, drunk, etc....) Please, beware of their communist and ironfist ways of running the government, police, towns. Vermont is not what it appears to be through their media exposure. They bend the real information in hopes of bringing people in. No jobs, no commuting solutions, just a bunch of bullcrap. Please beware, anyone who is thinking of moving or visiting here.
If one thinks Vermont is a communist state, obviously one has not lived in a communist state! It is hard to imagine anyone but an American making such a statement. France, Sweden, even Germany (any many other places in Europe) are much more "social democratic" (I guess that is what you mean) than any place in the U.S. is, or could be.

I know several gay men and lesbians who live in Vermont. From what they have told me, they are very committed Vermonters. For goodness sake, it is the only place in the country that have gay marriage through legislation!

No place is perfect; it depends upon your own values and if they match where you live. No place is for everyone; I hope you find a place you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont