Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 AM

4 posts, read 3,821 times

Advertisements

Pardon my enthusiasm but this dream has been 5 years in the making. Moving to Vermont with a job in healthcare all lined up with a move this April!!

My gut tells me since it's a new job to stay in the Burlington Area (it's at the UVM hospital)- I may be placed in a facility, for work, that is considered "off-site" in South Burlington where I park there or I may have the main hospital location in which I park and am "shuttled to work" which takes about 15 minutes. So yeah, the brain wants to be logical.

The other part of me wants to live in the Waterbury area, the apartments I am looking at are right off the expressway with a "googled" commute time of 35 minutes. I was in-town the other day and did the drive on an ideal day with little traffic and it was, indeed 33 minutes, but, that's "ideal."

Why Waterbury Center? Well it's exactly where I want to live and it's close to Stowe and Montpelier where I prefer to spend most of my time when I'm not working.

I have an outback, equipped with winter tires when the season approaches, I'm from northern Michigan so I am somewhat familiar with nightmare iced-over roads.

I just wanted to get some input from people that may have done this commute or a similar commute. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Waterbury Center is great. But there are times where that will be a 90 min commute each way in the winter.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times
That commute in winter can be tough. I-89 between Williston and Waterbury can get downright dicey. That said, many, many people do that commute. I say go for it, especially since you have winter driving experience. Try it for a year and if you don't like the commute, move closer.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:25 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,557 times
Agreed with the above. Totally doable, people do it all the time, but it can be time consuming and draining. Richmond could be a good alternative as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
It'll work, but have a place in Burlington or Winooski where you can crash for a night in a pinch.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 3,821 times
Thanks! It doesn't sound all that far-fetched - especially when I've have a standard 30 minute commute (45-50min in winter conditions) for over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont