Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
With all due respect I have to disagree that Williston appears congested with box stores. Having grown up in NYC and knowing LI well, and also having been in 42 of the 50 states the layout, size, and footprint of the shopping area in the area referred to Tafts Corners (I89/US2/VT2A) is perhaps the least intrusive both aesthetically and traffic wise than any other comparable area for retail that I have seen. While I agree that I would not choose to buy a home in immediate proximity, it's more for reasons of wanting land versus the degree of congestion.
I will defer and give you the benefit of the doubt as you have more experience in the area; my experience was based on a few days. However, I did get stuck in a heck of a lot of traffic trying to make my way from the fairgrounds down to the hotel at the intersection of 89 & 2A (Essex Rd?) at about 5pm. Yowser! I thought I was back on LI 45 mins to get to the hotel -- I believe it was a 7 mile drive?

Again, my observation being a scant few days, the area appeared to have been recently (within 5-6 years at that time) built up with these stores. There was a shopping center with PetsMart, Christmas Tree Store, then more down another intersection. It looked as though the area is going in the same direction as that around the Smithhaven Mall, Port Jeff Station, and Jacksonville's suburbs.

Driving further up into just outside Burlington proper, near a university, there were more big box stores -- Staples? Circuit city or Best Buy (they're all the same to me)

I realize that these are there because this is what the developers believe the people want. "If you build it, they will come."

Maybe I am more sensitive to the big box retailers as I resent what they do to our economy on a local basis, having seen Home Depot put 2 friends hardware stores out of business. Smaller local lumber yards are having a hard time, too. And now close to me, we have a Lowes and Home Depot within 2 miles of one another! And there's another Home Depot 5 miles from the 1st one I mentioned.

We're on the same page about not buying a home in the immediate vicinity. I, too, would want more land. But how far out can one really go before the build up comes further out -- like what happened on LI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I forgot to add: my husband's family owned a house across from the land that eventually became Smithhaven. They watched it being built. Now it's taken on a whole new wing (where Sterns was: it's been leveled) of more big box retailers and cookie cutter factory restaurants.

Even Old Field is changing *sigh* people are buying the properties, subdividing and building McMansions.

If you are ever outside of Ludlow, Black River Produce on Rte 103 has fresh seafood. I realise it's a haul for you, but keep it in mind if you're out that way.

And thanks for the two political websites. I am always interested in new sites for insight!
I am going to tell my husband about the Black River Produce. Thank you. He was a professional shellfisherman before going to work for the Town. We were thinking of starting a wholesale lobster business but I don't think it would do well here in VT.

If you go on those websites, click on the messageboards. Sometimes you can find out whats happening before it hits the front pages of Newsday!

I am surprised and saddened to hear about Old Field changing. I thought that land could not be subdivided? What a shame. I just don't understand the mentality of the people on LI. They want to live the country life but if a deer or raccoon come on their property they want someone else to kill it for them. They take all the animals resources of food and shelter away and then can't understand why they are on their property looking to eat their expensive landscape! I get such a kick out of seeing a grasshopper or a frog!! It reminds me of my childhood on LI. Something that LI will never get back.

Speaking of congestion, I tried to find a parking spot to shop at the Christmas tree Shop with no luck. I was so surprised to see how crowded it is up there! I think 500,000 of the 600,000 people living in VT must live up near Burlington.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM

67 posts, read 517,553 times
This is a good site and explains the home heating oil situation.

Residential Heating Oil Prices: What Consumers Should Know

I just got 100 gallons to get me thru the spring and hopefully the prices will be cheaper in the spring summer. (I am on automatic delivery and I probably would have gotten close to 250 gallons at $3.46 per gallon in RI)

Good link for checking prices:

New England Oil Prices

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
That Christmas Tree Shop is one very popular chain. We were attended a car club meet on Cape Cod and one morning a large group from our club went shopping at one on the Cape. I can see why the parking lot would be jammed.

Old Field isn't getting subdivided like communities south of it, but there has been change. It's not as in your face, but it is there.

I actually saw a deer get struck by a car on 25A just east of Old Town Rd a few summers ago. I pulled over and ran into the fire house, no one believed me! I had my son in the car coming home from karate lessons; as I was inside the firehouse, the deer ran in front of my parked car and then headed west on 25A. It settled in by the car wash where it had to be euthanized for the injuries it sustained.

It is sad that these folks want the flora and fauna -- just as long as the fauna isn't eating their $$$$ flora.

Sometimes I might come across as too much of a preservationist on these boards, and it is not my intent to ever tell someone how to do something. I just want to point out the mistakes made here on LI for others to learn from and hopefully not make the same mistake as here.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfisherman View Post
This is a good site and explains the home heating oil situation.

Residential Heating Oil Prices: What Consumers Should Know

I just got 100 gallons to get me thru the spring and hopefully the prices will be cheaper in the spring summer. (I am on automatic delivery and I probably would have gotten close to 250 gallons at $3.46 per gallon in RI)

Good link for checking prices:

New England Oil Prices
Thanks for the info. I am going to check out the websites. My husband used to be a commercial fisherman. He is wondering if your user name ROCKFISHERMAN has anything to do with your line of work.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
I can see if someone is here for visit can get caught up in a traffic situation due to seasonal events like the fair, air show, etc. Once you have been here awhile you will learn the network of alternate routes to avoid such situations. The handfull of larger stores can and do get busy due to the fact that they are not regionally spaced out, hence folks will travel quite some distance to come shopping. Our Walmart is small in comparison to others and draws folks from a wide radius. Since our Lowes finally opened it has taken some pressure off of the crowds at Home Depot. As much as I agree to shop at local small scale and volume merchants it is beneficial to have the opportunity and variety that the larger outlets can provide. Reagrding LI, NY I still remember way back when you headed east on Northern Blvd (NY25) the last cluster of "larger" stores where in Manhasset. Then again, once you crossed into the Nassau County on the LIE it felt like you were out in the sticks and at night there was no lighting on the LIE.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That Christmas Tree Shop is one very popular chain. We were attended a car club meet on Cape Cod and one morning a large group from our club went shopping at one on the Cape. I can see why the parking lot would be jammed.

Old Field isn't getting subdivided like communities south of it, but there has been change. It's not as in your face, but it is there.

I actually saw a deer get struck by a car on 25A just east of Old Town Rd a few summers ago. I pulled over and ran into the fire house, no one believed me! I had my son in the car coming home from karate lessons; as I was inside the firehouse, the deer ran in front of my parked car and then headed west on 25A. It settled in by the car wash where it had to be euthanized for the injuries it sustained.

It is sad that these folks want the flora and fauna -- just as long as the fauna isn't eating their $$$$ flora.

Sometimes I might come across as too much of a preservationist on these boards, and it is not my intent to ever tell someone how to do something. I just want to point out the mistakes made here on LI for others to learn from and hopefully not make the same mistake as here.
My husband calls me a tree hugger. I used to have 20 - 30 deer waiting in my backyard (On LI) when I would come home from work. I would feed them every night. I felt so bad for them. I have 56 acres but I can't remember the last time I saw a deer on my property. The first and only time I saw a buck on the property it was shot by locals poaching. Every now and then I see a coyote but as long as they don't bother my animals, they are welcome. My mini donkeys would kick their butts in anyway. Don't waste your breath trying to change the way anyone thinks in VT. It is not appreciated.

BTW, my dentist is from Setauket, Dr. Forte. He couldn't take all the Manhattan people moving to the Island so he moved up to the Lake George area.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Reagrding LI, NY I still remember way back when you headed east on Northern Blvd (NY25) the last cluster of "larger" stores where in Manhasset. Then again, once you crossed into the Nassau County on the LIE it felt like you were out in the sticks and at night there was no lighting on the LIE.
My husband said he still remembers when Sunrise Highway ended near Brookhaven Hospital. I remember the Expressway ending at Holbrook Road. After you passed Huntington (I think Exit 49) 3/4 of the traffic disappeared. At least the traffic moves during rush hour, even if it is slow. You could stand idol for an hour in Lake George traffic during the summer.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Hey guys -this thread is veering waaaaay off topic. Lets talk oil prices here. Feel free to start a new thread about the other stuff. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Hey guys -this thread is veering waaaaay off topic. Lets talk oil prices here. Feel free to start a new thread about the other stuff. Thanks!

My fault......so sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont