Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2019, 06:02 AM

298 posts, read 341,673 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am taking a new job as a consultant, it is a work from home job. I would like to move from my current home in Metrowest (Boston) Mass.- which is expensive and crowded to somewhere closer to outdoor recreation. In the warmer months I like to do road/gravel cycling, and hiking and kayaking. In the winter I ski, snowshoe, XC/backcountry ski.

Since I am 50+ and divorced I need a large enough town that I can meet other single people and develop a network of friends and some kind of social life. There needs to be enough restaurants and stores to make the town interesting. I like the Mad River Valley but it's way too small and isolated. I am not really a big city person.

In terms of a home, I want something with a decent size property (maybe 1-2 acre) so that my dog can have room to exercise and run.

So I am considering Waterbury, Montpelier, Richmond, and Burlington I guess.

Is Montpelier too small and shuts down at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 06:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
There is some nightlife in Montpelier (handful of places). But it would be too small and early for me as a single person. I can't imagine being an adult single anyplace else but Burlington if you're actually looking to date, etc. There is no big city, or anything resembling one, anywhere in Vermont.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:00 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Shelburne. Second choice, South Burlington/Williston (take notice of the flight paths).

Once you get beyond slip hill in Richmond you are effectively out of the Burlington social scene. Otherwise, the recreational activities are there or nearby and it would be a decent choice. Much of Vermont shuts down at night. Exceptions are some bar/restaurants in tourist areas, movie theatres, and the rare fast food drive-thru. Morning people survive better in Vermont.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 AM

Well I guess there lies the dilemma... any place that has the characteristics I want- small, more rural, less expensive will be too small to have a good social life.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Well I guess there lies the dilemma... any place that has the characteristics I want- small, more rural, less expensive will be too small to have a good social life.

Yup, but that's universal. It's like people saying they want a great job market and easy commute, but want space at an affordable price. Well, the world doesn't work like that.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:29 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
I have to say I'm so glad Harry pointed out the morning people thing - my mom, when visiting from NYC, always laughs at how quiet everything is at 7pm....and I always notice how many people are up and about early in the morning.

I am a morning person through and through...and fit in just great.

That being said - is nightlife the only place you can meet other people? I've met far more people doing activities/volunteering/etc than going to a bar/etc.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I would suggest renting for a bit to get a feel for the different areas. You don't have to live in Burlington to enjoy it. 20 minutes out and you are in the "country". Shelburne, as mentioned above. Hinesburg and Richmond might be other options. We live 30 minutes (17 miles) out of Burlington and it's close enough for us to get out and enjoy what it has to offer.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'm even older than you (66) and I think Montpelier is the best place to live in Vermont. We have a downtown where things are happening, live music and professional theater, locally owned bookstores (yes, plural). We're also close to the great outdoors for skiing, hiking, and other outdoor sports. Our latest hot spots are Rabble Rouser, the downtown chocolate bar, and Barr Hill, where they distill and serve natural gins.

As for the chances at romantic relationships, I suspect that the single population may be more age-appropriate for you here than in Burlington.

Still, I suspect renting for a while would make sense.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Well, I do love Montpelier. I love the small town feel, its not completely tiny like Waitsfield or Warren, but it's also not what feels like a sprawling suburb- Burlington. I am more of a morning person, I tend to eat dinner by 6 pm- I don't like going to a restaurant and being seated at 7 or 7:30 pm because then by the time you're eating it's 8 pm. Great for NYC, but my body seems to have adapted to eating dinner earlier.

Definitely would be looking for a social group that does outdoor activities- hikes, XC and BC skiing, alpine skiing, kayaking, gravel biking etc.

I am pretty sure I have been in the bookstores, I used to eat lunch at what was the Main Street cafe (run by the NECI), and frequented Buchspieler (spelling) record store. Also I heard Onion River Sports closed?

Doug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont