Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 4,483 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm Barbara and I'm about to start a job in diversity outreach at UVM. Due to COVID I am beginning my position remotely from the Seattle area, where I attended graduate school. I hope once we have a handle on COVID, no matter what that looks like, I can finally move to Vermont full stop.

To talk about what I'm looking for: small home or apartment relatively close to campus (1 hr tops). I wouldn't say I'm a hipster, but I'm VERY liberal and open to being surrounded by alternative lifestyles. Any tips on what to look for or more importantly, avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 02:25 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
1 hour can get you pretty far out of Burlington...but keep in mind winter commuting. Given what you've posted I would suggest trying to stay right in Burlington itself. The South End is a fun artsy, hipster type neighborhood-my favorite in town. Winooski would be another option too. Housing is tight normally, but it is extra tight right now thanks to COVID. People wanting to escape urban areas appear to be snapping up properties and rentals in droves.
Congrats on your new job!

Old 08-31-2020, 02:36 PM

Thanks vter! I picked 1 hour because I don't want to limit myself too much. I grew up in MT and went undergrad in Madison, so a little snow and cold don't scare me. I was thinking because ATM it's just me, a small apartment in town is ideal. I have an adventurous palate, so do you have a sense of the foodie scene?

Old 09-01-2020, 07:37 AM

1,002 posts, read 921,956 times
An hour outside Burlington can put you effectively in the middle of national forest or cow pastures. In fact, you can end up in these areas just 30 minutes outside of Burlington. The farther you are from the "city", the more inexpensive things become, but you'll also find internet connections get slower and more spotty. Remember, the "city" here has only 44,000 people.

Some areas I like, and think might fit you:
-South end of Burlington
-Shelburne
-Colchester / Mallet's Bay
-Parts of Essex
-Parts of South Burlington

A little farther out, I think Westford and Underhill are both nice. You can have a sense of having no neighbors in these areas, but you'll probably also be living on a dirt road, with your water coming from a well. "Apartments" are likely to be suites on the back of someone's house. There really aren't any apartment buildings much of anywhere. You might find the Bolton Valley to be interesting, or the isles, but I'm not all that charmed by the islands.

Re: food, you'll find in downtown Burlington you can find a little bit of everything. I particularly enjoy Zabby and Elf's, Pingala Cafe, and a lot of the Vietnamese restaurants. Much outside of Burlington though and you're looking at the stray Chinese restaurant and Pizza joint.

Re: snow and cold, be aware that we sometimes get 30" inches of snow in a 24 hour period. It has never stopped me from getting to work, but I expect it's a bit snowier and probably colder than the western half of MT. Burlington is considerably milder than farther up in the mountains, and at least According to weatherspark and Wikipedia's weather data, compared with Missoula, Burlington gets a little more than twice as much snow and is the equivalent of being ~200 miles farther north. Average lows in winter are closer to those of Calgary.

Some examples of a single night's worth of snow:

Last edited by EckyX; 09-01-2020 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 09:45 AM

9,493 posts, read 5,273,735 times
Avoid Franklin County. Leans conservative. Not a whole lot of "alternative lifestyles" (if you are specifically looking to live in that milieu). I agree that staying close to UVM, even within a 30 min commute, will suit your needs. Snowfall is nothing like Seattle (I've lived there, too...well Mountlake Terrace) and has to be factored in.
Good luck.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,942,055 times
I grew up in Burlington, although I haven't lived there since the 1980s. You're better off staying within the city limits, although housing has become quite pricey, considering the small size of Burlington. However, if you lived in Madison, you'll like Burlington--it's just on a smaller scale. You can be in exurban/rural areas in about 30-45 minutes.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM

Eckyx: I grew up near the the Dakotas. Would I be on my own maintaining a well? I'm NOT handy. Those snow pics don't scare me, I'll just need a good snowblower. I know Burlington wears it as badge of honor that they're the ONLY capital without a McDonald's.

Riley: Yeah Seattle got TONS of rain, if it had been snow...UGH!

Riley: I'm: heterosexual, white, cis, and able-bodied, atheist, BUT I am a STRONG ally of anyone who isn't

MassVt: that's great to hear!! When I was an undergraduate, I participated in MANY protests of various kinds.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:08 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
Montpelier is the capital of Vermont But...Burlington also does not have a McDonald's within City limits...there are plenty in the suburbs though.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:27 PM

OMG vter! My geography teacher would be SO disappointed!

Old 09-15-2020, 11:08 AM

Sorry I'm JUST coming back guys! Semester started and I got busy!! Think I found nice 1br in Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont