Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:25 AM

432 posts, read 415,666 times

Advertisements

There's probably quite a few people still doing the oil undercoat combined with a drive on a dirt road trick. I remember reading a guy who swore by melted vaseline mixed with chainsaw oil. In sorta the same vein is mustie1 on youtube who used melted toilet wax rings to save the rusty patina on his VW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wC-FM286ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 10:51 AM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,550 times
And now a question about snow removal. In general (I know things vary by region), do homeowners own snow blowers? Rely on neighborhood kids with shovels? Plow services?
I've lived where I had to own a plow truck -- F250 with Boss plow blade -- and although that was a lot of fun, I hope I never need to do that again.
And my old(er) bones are really, really tired of shoveling.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:39 AM

9,463 posts, read 5,233,195 times
We own a snow blower. Cheaper over time than hiring someone to come plow. But we only have a fairly short driveway to plow.
There are no neighborhood kids with shovels in my neck of the woods.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,272,083 times
Re: snow removal. It'll depend on how long your driveway is. Ours is long so we hire someone to do it. We pay a flat rate for the season and he comes whenever there is 4ish or more inches of snow. He'll sand it too for an extra fee. We've only had to do that once when we had a particularly bad ice storm and couldn't get out of the driveway without having it done!

Old 04-23-2021, 12:26 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,557 times
We have a very long driveway and pay per plow, also like vter only when there is more than 3-4" of snow. Sanding extra.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
At our last house, we shoveled ourselves. We did buy a snowblower but it couldn't handle the snow sometimes so we still ended up shoveling. Since moving, our drive way is longer so we hire someone with a plow.

Cat

Old 08-10-2021, 02:28 PM

444 posts, read 582,439 times
You will wish you had a house in the north for the summer and the south for the winter. If you move away from VT you will deeply miss her everyday, until you realize how horrible the winters are.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,550 times
And another winter question: What is the most common (and most cost-effective) method of winter heat in most of rural Vermont? Over the course of my life in mountain climates, I've heated with everything from electric to wood to gas (hot-water radiators were definitely my favorite in old Victorian houses). I know we'll probably be stuck with what's already installed in a particular house, but what is most frequent?

Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 AM

542 posts, read 703,157 times
I think wood would be the cheapest. A lot of folks use wood as the major heat source, but I can't speak to the most popular method. I see quite a lot of people using pellet stoves these days also. In my neighborhood the newer systems seem to be mostly propane. Friends that have older homes often have oil. I think it is a mix. If I were to build a new home I would probably go with baseboard hot water with propane. My son had one recently installed in his home, very efficient. You can buy propane through a co-op at significant savings. Add a woodstove as backup or supplement in really cold weather. That is a good combo.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:55 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Vermont is a beautiful state. However the winters are too long and gray for me and the month of April can crush your soul. Vermont is second in percentage of people with second homes. The winter season has plenty to do with that. My other challenge with Vermont is the air pollution. Approximately 25% of Vermonters heat with wood and the combustion creates so much carbon dioxide into the air it can become hard to breath in more densely populated areas. I'm sure the wood is stacked within 10 feet of the front doors already in many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont