Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times

Advertisements

We have Green Mountain Power and live in Addison County. Our power bill is approx $40 in summer, $50 in winter (per month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandliz View Post
We heat our home with prophane gas which for some reason is a good deal less the oil here in Connecticut. Our last fill was $1.74 a gal.I know oil is well into the mid $2.00's.
Bob, 1 gallon of heating oil produces as much heat as 1.5 gallons of propane, so they are competitive.

Do you have an electric water heater? That makes no sense in CT, but if so, would explain half of your $300/mo bill.

Re: other discussions, New England's hydro potential is insignificant relative to its demand.

Average electricity rates, Sept 2006:
CT 15.74 cents/kWh
VT 11.54
US 9.26
ID 4.70
http://www.neo.state.ne.us/statshtml/115.htm (broken link)

Last edited by RodFarlee; 01-05-2007 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 21,716 times
No water is heated with gas as well. I think there is something wrong with the meter. But the light company said oh no meter is fine. They never came out to check it?? We may take down the fish tanks and see how the light bill changes, but kind of sucks have to give up the hobby.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
You can verify a lot of your electric costs using a Kill-a-watt meter. Do a web search and you can find them available for $30 or less. You plug the KAW into the wall socket and the appliance into it. You can then get the watts used, KWH used over a period of time, etc. You can't check 220 volt items, but it can give you a good handle on what is using power.

To a certain extent, you can also check your mains meter, by cutting off the breakers to everything but a circuit with a known load on it, then reading the meter before and after a fixed length of time.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 40,053 times
Bob,
We feel your pain! Here in Manchester CT.. What hasn't gone up in CT lately is in the works to go up soon..My (our) plan for many many years now has been to move to VT. actually around the same area as your thinking of.. Maybe a bit farther up then you..Newport area. Just waiting on my first 2 kids to graduate and turn 18.. long story.. But Im at a point now of just holding on for another 2 years and then Goodbye to CT.. Anyhow, just wanted to say Good luck.. Im confident you will find your own paradise..

Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,827 times
Default Northeast Kingdom

Dear Bob and Liz,

We sold our business and home 2004 in CT. We are now living in the Northeast Kingdom, and loving it! We have a 3 BR , 3 bath townhouse, 1200 square foot at Lake Memphamagog. Our electric bill ranges from $60-115/per month. Our condo uses propane for heat and hot water and our price is $1.33/per gallon. We are very close to the hospital and many dentists and doctors offices. We are considering selling our townhouse, at Pine Bluff Estates, which we have completely renovated. Pine Bluff Estates is a small desirable complex with four season amenities, and 1200 feet sandy beach shoreline. There are boat moorings and fishing is fantastic. We are located in Newport, VT, minutes from the Canadian border and all their attractions. $185,000. If you have any interest, please give us a call: 1-802-334-3043.

Sincerely,
Hannah and Dave

Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
We are on some weird grid of an old marble mine.
Our electricity is the only thing cheap in VT !
Because our house is one of the original town / factory
houses we pay about 24.00 a month which is good because
we can run electrical floor heaters to augment the oil heater
which we keep on 62 and costs about 400.00 a month for the
winter months.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 40,053 times
Hannah and Dave
Nice spot youve got there!
As a matter of fact, thats right where I used to vacation growing up.. It wasnt pine bluff back then though. It was Noyse,s cottages.So many of my favorite memories happened right there. The old man Noyse passed away back around "83" I was 16 and was offered the first red cottage. lol, the first lot before the walkway to the beach for 15,000.Now ya can get a boat slip at the marina for that lol.. At 16 I just couldnt convince my parents to co-sign and within 3 months the new owner sent me a letter saying he wanted 55,000.That he cut some trees down. Daydreaming about that place helped me survive CT for all these years.. Congrats to you! your living my dream..I will join ya in 2 years! So many things have changed there over the years,Are you all still having Saturday morning perch fries? Good day to ya.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont