Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 AM

17 posts, read 93,859 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Barre and would like to know as much about the area as possible. We have looked at the Waterbury area as a possible residence because of access to both Burlington and Montpelier/Barre. We have 3 small children, the fist approaching school age. I have searched this forum for info on this area and we have made a few day trips there but if anyone can add some insight or useful info, it would be much appreciated.
We also would like to know about the schools in the area including the catholic schools in Montpelier and Barre. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Waterbury is a good halfway point between Burlington and Barre/Montpelier. Plus it gives you good access for Sugarbush/Mad River Glen & Stowe for skiing.
I believe there is a catholic school in Barre....St. Monica's I think?? The only catholic high school in Vermont that I can think of is Rice in South Burlington, but since your kids are young you don't need to worry about that quite yet.
On the eastern side of Barre/Montpelier is East Montpelier (it's school system has a good reputation at the high school level - U32) and Marshfield/Plainfield which are rural, but very scenic.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Thanks vter.
How are the other towns in the area that still provide easy access to both Burlington and Montpelier and are right for a family with small children?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Thatcher Brook Elementary would be the public school in Waterbury. I don't hear much about it, so I guess it is OK. Many years ago, my mother taught there, but the elementary school was only the far left building back then. The other buildings were for junior high and high. The "new" high school is Harwood Union, down in Moretown, which is a boring bus trip for teenagers to and from school. The courses have changed so much since I was in high school that I have a hard time figuring out just exactly what is being taught, but I suspect I'd have that problem with most schools.

If the job is in Barre, I'd put Waterbury as about the furthest I'd want to commute, what with winter weather, the price of gas, and the seeming impossibility of keeping I-89 in decent condition. If the kids will be going to school in Barre, no way would I live as far away as Waterbury. The logistics of it would be horrible.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM

What other towns would you recommend within reasonable driving distance to Central Vermont Hospital and Barre?

Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
First, kudos for doing your research beforehand.

As to other towns, I wish I had a clear-cut answer. I think it would be best if you are set on a Catholic school that you check out all aspects of that before committing to a town or city. What tuition costs, what requirements, is there open enrollment, what is the standing of the school, etc..

When my brothers and I went to school, we literally could see the school from our home, and walk to and from it, even going home for lunch within the 1/2 hr break allowed. After school activities were no strain on my parents, and in many ways it was an ideal set-up for a one car family with kids.

I suspect that we are headed economically back to days where a second car starts to be viewed as a luxury, and people pay a high price for living far away from work and school.

My priorities in finding a home in this climate would be proximity to work and school, heating efficiency of the home, tax burden, and neighborhood demographics. The increasing price of gasoline now do not bode well for fuel costs this winter, it appears that we need to estimate about a 10% per year actual inflation rate overall, for at least a couple of years. With the responsibility of kids, I wouldn't want to spend down income supporting a drafty home and/or long commute on a possibly shrinking income. If you haven't done so already, a plan for a budget and a simple spreadsheet may help you determine just how much you can afford and how far away from work is reasonable.

If you have a strong income with little connection to the economy, none of the above may hold true. In such a case, I would still be looking for a place fairly close to the expected school for convenience and safety. Montpelier, East Montpelier, I think those would be prudent choices.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,151 times
Make sure you talk to some employees(not the recruiter) at Central VT. I don't know anyone who has worked there but they are in the paper from time to time with financial woes and paycuts/layoffs. VT isn't a great place to practice medicine.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the sound advice harry. We are considering all of those points but will probably find some compromise. We like the rural living with easy access to work/school and conveniences. We were thinking Waterbury is possibly that place. Of course we will research the schools in the area before making a final decision.
If we do move it will not be until spring/summer 09 and I will continue to work for DHMC not Central Vermont. I don't think we are starting our research too soon but we do want to learn as much as we can so we make the best choices when the time comes.
I have already learned much from this forum and hope others here can add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont