Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,290 times

Advertisements

Greetings, folks! This is my first post on City-Data. What a great community! Given how many times we've moved in the past 20 years, I'm surprised I've never been here before! I'm glad I found you.

We are considering a move to Vermont this summer, so I've been browsing the Vermont forums rather intently over the past several weeks. We have settled on the northern portion of the state, near or around Burlington.

I have a million questions, many of which have been answered already on these forums, so I'll try not to repeat . Two that I haven't really seen yet are as follows:

1) How are the bees and wasps in northern Vermont? Here in Wisconsin, they are super-aggressive. We've lived in several states over these last 20 years and the Wisconsin bees are absolutely the worst I've ever seen. Way too many and far too aggressive (they WILL chase you). I'm actually reluctant to spend much time outside here in Wisconsin because the bees are absolutely wicked and I'm somewhat allergic . That's a shame, since I like to golf. Are there a lot of bees/wasps in Vermont and are they aggressive?

2) I see that there is no flight from Burlington to Boston . Matter of fact, it seems getting to Boston is rather difficult. It's either a 3-4 hour drive or taking a flight to NYC and then back up to Boston. Amtrak, from what I can see, seems to take 8 hours . Since we need to be able to get to the Boston area often, is getting there going to be a source of frustration? Does anyone know if there are any plans to add a flight to/from Boston?

Thanks in advance for any help or answers you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Few bees and I haven't seen any aggressive ones. Burlington to Boston ain't great. But Boston is easy from the south east on up through the upper valley. Usual disclaimer - VT is expensive and job oppertunities and pay are lacking.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Burlington to Boston is 3.5 hours drive, no traffic. Everyone here just drives it-I do it often myself. You could take a bus, but that takes forever. There was flight service to Boston via Delta up until about a year ago, but it was ridiculously expensive.
Bees? They're around, but don't bother me.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Good news about the bees, thank you! It'll be nice to be able to spend time outside again.

Too bad about getting to Boston, however. Travelling for 3-4 hours isn't so bad if you can snooze or read during the trip. Snoozing or reading while driving, however... not so good. Especially not on the part of the highway that threads its way up though the mountains!

Oh well, thanks for the answers!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
It's a really easy drive, but can get a bit dicey in the winter due to the various elevation changes between Burlington and Concord, NH.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:00 PM

43 posts, read 138,732 times
you can always drive to rutland and catch the 45 minute flight to boston. we have done that a few times....very easy and quick. the pilots know the fliers..they're frequent business travelers...and often chat each other up.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
As for bees and wasps, I think it depends if you are in the city or outskirts of it. I live about an 1 1/2 hours south of Burlington and we have a lot of wasps. They can be a little bit more agressive in the Fall. They are pretty healthy looking (HUGE!!). I wouldn't make that a reason not to move here. They aren't that bad.
I know there is a flight out of Rutland airport to Boston. It was $100.00 last year. Could be more now. You could try Plattsburgh airport. They may have a flight. I would say it takes at least 4 hours to get to Boston.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM

I just looked up Amtrak. I can get a train from Burlington to Springfield (MA) then, I suppose, rent a car for the Springfield to Boston leg of the trip. The sad thing is, the Burlington to Springfield leg of the trip via Amtrak is over 5-1/2 hours!

Driving to Rutland is a possibility, but that seems to only cover maybe 1/3 of the trip. And when I get to Boston, I'd still have to rent a car.

Looks more and more like driving the full route is the best alternative.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM

37 posts, read 89,502 times
Talking Boston -- Burlington

Hi Nelly,

Like others have said, its a pretty easy drive and probably less hassle when all is said and done at the airports.

Regarding cost of living, like anything its effected by supply and demand. If folks really found it too expensive they'd move somewhere else. They're willing to pay a premium to live in one of the best places in the country.

According to the 2008 study put out by the vt housing conservation board, the medium price for a home in VT is $201,000, up 2% from last year.

Bees aren't a problem, but in certain areas on certain weeks, black flies might carry you away.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

104 posts, read 491,748 times
DONT TAKE THE TRAIN!!! By the time you get to Springfield, MA by train you would have reached Boston by car or bus. There are a lot of bus from Burlington to Boston (greyhound) or Darmouth express from the White River Junction area. BUS is the way to go if you don't want to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont