Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,953 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Burlington area and I am looking for an English riding facility for a high school-aged advanced rider.

Also interested in a summer camp opportunity for girls that is primarily riding.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,934 times
Check out Freedom Ranch in Jericho. Not sure if they offer it, but I bet they can point you in the right direction. I have seen about 150 horses there for there shows. And I believe the have about 50 in the stables and fields at most times. I am sure there are others in the area. But this one is the only one I know of. Bet someone else here can help you too.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:20 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
My wife used to run a small riding and training facility in Orwell, VT, so maybe I can help. I'm not familiar with Freedom Ranch but I suspect any horse operation ending in "ranch" is a Western-centric riding facility. Probably the best place is Imajica ( Imajica). Imajica is the home of the UVM riding team and the farm is owned by Madeleine Austin. It may also be one of the more expensive. Madeleine also sells dutch warmbloods.

Another that comes to mind is Meadow Run Equestrian Center (20 Middle Rd, Colchester, VT 05446 802-879-1124). I seem to remember attending Dressage schooling shows up there.

Sean

Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,953 times
Thanks nhyrnut and seanpecor. Freedom "Ranch" turns out to be Freedom Farm and is not far from where we may end up, so that may be a possibility. I'll check into these three when I visit next month.

Vermont may be a difficult move for our 14 year old. She is just entering high school and is not happy about leaving her friends. Horses are her passion and she currently rides and shows hunter/jumper year round. Any help or suggestions are truly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Well, Vermont is going to be TOUGH for her, to be realistic. Show season grinds to a halt late October or so and doesn't pick up again until the Springtime, after the ground dries out (late May?). The strongest hunter/jumper community is further south than Burlington, near the Woodstock and Manchester, VT area. If you want her to stay active riding through the winter, then you'll absolutely need a farm with an indoor riding arena. Otherwise no chance of training from November through April because the footing will either be frozen solid or covered with a foot or more of hard packed snow. Even with indoor riding arenas, you'll have lots of January and February days where the high temp will be 15F or colder and no chance of riding and training hard then unless you want to risk the health of your horse.

We moved to Boones Mill, VA, we own a horse farm down here (Oak Hill Stables of Virginia, a Roanoke Area Horse Farm). We had one up there too, in Orwell, VT, but the extended winters and short show season were one of the reasons we moved further south. In Vermont, the top adult dressage/hunter/jumpers head south in late October and stay south until show season gets going in May. Jane Savoie, for example, has a home in southern Vermont near S. Royalton but is in Florida half of the year.

I hate to sound like a broken record in the Vermont forums but you might want to reconsider the move if she's a passionate hunter/jumper. If you like the mountains and the natural beauty of Vermont, virtually the same beauty can be found along the entire Appalachian Mountain Range. Here in the Roanoke VA area, you can comfortably train all year round. Further south, into NC/SC it's even warmer during the winter but a little more oppressive during the summer. We have an indoor arena and it stays comfortably inside with all of the 8x8 panels slid open, even during 90F days. During the winter, it almost never stays below 32F as a high and the arena is quite comfortable. Down here it's easy to keep our training horses in top athletic shape throughout the winter. Something to think about. You may have other more compelling reasons that dictate a move to VT that are more important than horse riding, but moving a 14 year old is already tough to begin with, without adding on the loss of her equestrian pursuit for possibly half of the year.

Sean

Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfromTX View Post
Thanks nhyrnut and seanpecor. Freedom "Ranch" turns out to be Freedom Farm and is not far from where we may end up, so that may be a possibility. I'll check into these three when I visit next month.

Vermont may be a difficult move for our 14 year old. She is just entering high school and is not happy about leaving her friends. Horses are her passion and she currently rides and shows hunter/jumper year round. Any help or suggestions are truly appreciated.
Sorry I do believe they have an inside riding area though. However it is something you will have to check on as I don't know it that well. Have just been there once or twice. And that was years ago. I do remember, The owners Being real nice, and they seemed to know there stuff. But as I don't much about horses, aside from family that owns some. That don't say much.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
Check out Good Hope Equestrian Center they are one of the best Dressage schools around and located in beautiful South Hero. Good people too.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 6,089 times
Smile Hunter-jumper barns

I have lived in the Burlington Area for over 20 years, and have been involved in the horse community for quite some time. There are in fact a number of riding facilities in the greater Burlington area. Some have a more Hunter-jumper focus, Some are primarily saddleseat, and some are dressage-oriented. For the most part, it really depends on the level of competition that your daughter wabnts. Freedom Farm is good facility in Jericho, and it does have an indoor Arena, although it is not too large. Both Meadow Run and Enniskerry Farm in Colchester have rather large indoor arenas, and offer instruction on site, although Meadow Run is more of an adult facility, and seems to focus more on Dressage. There are several really good barns in the Hinesburg, Charlotte area that focus on Hunter-jumper as well. Fox Run ahas been around for years, Fell-Vallee just opened at Taproot farm in April, and there are many more. I have a 13 year old daughter myself that is involved in showing, I would just recommend looking at a number of places until you find the environment that is right for your daughter.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
If the horses are being neglected or abused, you must do something to help them. At least call a humane organization so they can send someone over there to check on the animals.

I second this. Here's where you can report it:

ReportAnimalCruelty.com

Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
Probably one of the absolute best resources to contact, incredibly respected and active...is the Green Mountain Horse Association in Woodstock VT

www.gmha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont