Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,696 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My boyfriend (soon to be married) and I are considering the move to VT. His company is relocating to South Burlington. We are considering finding a place to rent at first at least for 6-12mos around Burlington area, before we buy a place.

I am a NYS Lisenced Massage therapist here in NYC and own my own business. I specialize in Pre & Postnatal Massage, Reflexology and Reiki. I know that the prices charged for massage in VT is very "cheap" compared to NYC, partly because VT does not have any licensing requirements for MT I guess? and also because the cost of living is not as much as NYC.
My question is, what is the Birth "scene" like in VT? is there a higher % of home births vs. Hospital births? do people use Doulas? etc. I am currently enrolled in a Postpartum Doula course and a Birth Doula course. I am also a little reluctant to leave my flourishing business that I worked VERY hard on building up, but, I also want to start a family, have more space, slower pace of life....etc which VT can offer. I grew up on a Farm in Ireland so I know all about the quiet life. The winters on the other hand will be a whole new experience.
is there a particular town or area where a Massage Therapy business would flourish? Especially Pregnancy massage? or Doula work?

any advice is welcome.... I have considered coming to nYC once a month to work on existing clients if things are not that busy in VT.

Thanks for your help....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,967,799 times
If I'm not mistaken, Sherylcatmom is a massage therapist here and she can give you some great advice.

I just wanted to chime in and tell you if you think the cost of living in VT is much less than NYC, do some more research. You'll be making a LOT less in VT, and the cost of living is high. Between heating costs and taxes, you'll be spending almost as much as you do in NYC. Of course, you'll be getting more space and the quality of life, but just be prepared to pay for it!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,696 times
Thanks for your response. I guess I have NO idea what we are getting into. We went to Burlington on vacation this summer, LOVED it. but again, it was summer and tourists etc. we are going up in two weeks to look around, eat at local places, go to post office, bank, etc. to get a "feel" of the place. I just do not want to move to VT and get into debt! I worked VERY hard to pay off my student loan/credit cards etc. and the idea of not making $ is terrifying me, as well as the fact that we DO want to purchase a home, so I do not want the reality of not being able to afford the mortgage. So.... I guess we will see how we feel when we actually look for apartments etc and see what its really like. I DO NOT expect the same clientele as NYC but it would be nice to know I can market myself up there.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,281,125 times
TKLN has given you some good advice. Do not assume that it will be cheaper to live here. Sure, real estate looks cheap but you will not be making as much money, you'll have heating costs to deal with, etc. I lived in Boston (which is not a cheap city to live in ) for 6 years before coming back here and my cost of living is not that much different-sure I got more for my $$$ here real estate wise, but it's not that much cheaper overall.
Google OB/GYN in hte Burlington area. I know my provider offers all the types of massage and whatnot that you do...it may be worth contacting them to get an idea regarding the demand in the area. Send me a direct message and I can give you the info. JetBlue offers cheap enough flights that many people who live up here commute to NYC to work, so it would be entirely possible for you to keep some clients down there if you can work it out with them.
Hopefully Sherylcatmom will see this post and chime in with more specifics on licensing, etc. as she is a massage therapist.
Good luck!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Yep, my husband and I are bodyworkers, among other things. I do massage therapy and he specializes in craniosacral therapy as well as being a 30-year massage therapist.

Vermont is massage-friendly in general. Greater awareness of pre- and post-partum bodywork, doula consciousness, etc., would be Burlington and Brattleboro.

I've heard that Burlington has a bodyworker glut. The fact that you have a niche specialty should help. In Rutland, it took us three years working at the spas while we built our private practice to really get it going. Now we no longer work at the spas, nor do we do outcalls, except for folks who physically cannot come to our office.

I think Vermont's bodywork prices prices are low because generally wages and disposable income are low -- even more so now. Every attempt to license Vermont bodyworkers has failed, thanks to those of us reminding folks that
the burden is upon regulation-seekers to prove that licensing would mitigate a serious problem or risk to the public.

It is expensive to live in Vermont. Still, I've lived in NYC and have friends there, and our expenses in Vermont do not begin to approach what it costs my friends to live in NYC. I think your Vermont expenses will depend on how and where you live, and what your needs and spending are like. No doubt increased expenses will include heating needs and other winter/rural living considerations.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,832,183 times
I think it will depend upon where you live in VT and certainly many of your expenses will be considerably less than NY...I also think once you begin to build a private practice, especially connecting with some of the higher end resorts and close-proximity hotels such as those by Okemo, Killington/Pico and even Ascutney...thus the Castle Inn/Cavendish Inn, the upscale Inns such as those in Ludlow, you would do well.
And certainly keep in mind the Woodstock area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont