Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times

Advertisements

I want to vote in the November election. I'm almost certainly moving from New York to Vermont in August or September, and I am afraid that I may be ineligible to vote in either either state.

Does anyone know what I have to do to become eligible in Vermont to vote in November?

If necessary, can I vote in New York? When the house sale closes, I'll lose my NY address!

I am researching the matter on several fronts, and I would be grateful to anyone who could give me information.

This is a historic election and I want to be part of it.

Last edited by arel; 07-11-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
I think it's 30 days. Don't have to live here for a year prior or anything like that. It doesn't matter much Obama will win VT by a landslide.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I emailed the Vermont Secretary of State's office and, hopefully, should get a definitive reply next week.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
VT is pretty reasonable as far as residency and voting. Up in AK I'll need to be there a year to truly count as a resident (I can vote earlier, but I can't get resident hunting/fishing/trapping licenses or the PFD checks until I live there a year to qualify). Mustmove got it right, vote your conscious if you don't like Obama or McCain because he will get VT. On one hand it's depressing your vote counts for about nothing if you're not far to the left in VT, on the other hand, it's liberating because I can write anyone in (cough, ron paul, cough) and the claims of helping Obama don't work because he'll get the state no matter who I vote for.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:43 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
You are always eligible to vote in at least one place.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It doesn't matter much Obama will win VT by a landslide.
I find something sad, disheartening about the beginning of that statement "It doesn't matter much...." It makes me feel as though some folks won't vote by virtue of complacency, i.e. "my measily vote doesn't count anyway."

I am by no means a fan of either candidate so this isn't an Obamabash. You could have written 'Mickey Mouse'.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM

I vote regardless and encourage others to do so. Simple honest pretty certain guess that Obama will win VT by a landslide. If I'm here I'll vote for the other guy and if I'm back in Boston by then I'll still vote for the other guy. But I expect Obama to win VT by a huge margin and MA by a lesser but still decent margin.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
If you know the town you will be moving to then contact the town clerk for voting info. If you are not sure or concerned about timing then secure an absentee ballot from your current jusrisdiction in advance and then you are covered. This way all can vote for hope, change, unintended consequences, or whatever floats your your boat.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM

I googled the issue of voter registration in Vermont. Then I used the link to the Vermont Secretary of State's office and emailed the designated person. I got the information I needed. And, by chance, I also found a video on Youtube about registering to vote in Brattleboro.
The deadline, I believe, is October 29. I'm sure I'll have a Brattleboro address by then.

Problem solved.

Amazing. The person replied first thing the next business morning and signed off with her first name. Vermont is, indeed, very different from New York.

BTW, how can people be cavalier about the value of a single vote after what happened in Florida in 2000?

Sometimes, I wonder where the country would be now if Al Gore had been elected. Would we be in Iraq? Would we be having such economic problems?

Just a few votes would have made the difference. (Or might have. )

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

If the goracle was elected we'd be poorer than europe by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont