Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

To have any chance of success, you'll need to REAL choosey about who you let in. In way, your commune will work best if you're very selective with regard to it's members. Think of an exclusive country club, sorority, fraternity or a successful corporation.

If you just let anyone in, you'll attract those that see a good opportunity to live large and take advantage of those with totally unrealistic idealism.

You'll find that you'll end up with a surplus of the so-called "artiste" types who think their fair share of contributing to the commune will be crappy poetry, writing long, boring, lefty political tomes or providing classes in "advanced navel gazing" or "how to milk the welfare system".

Plus many guys will see it as an opportunity to get plenty 'o poontang without having to live under such bourgeois notions as marriage and monogamy.

Hell, I may join when I get tired of the career thing.

Keep in touch and let us know how things pan out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 AM

32 posts, read 134,871 times
I must admit to getting a kick out of this thread -- brings back fond memories of the many different groups living together (me being one of them) in the seventies. I wonder from time to time what happened to them all. In those days we couldn't get down our dirt road until old Milt recovered enough from his hangover to do the town plowing. Our group basically split up because it was much too undisciplined to keep up with the basic survival stuff, such as, oh, chopping enough firewood to keep warm for the winter. And yes, money was certainly an issue.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Earth People's Park in Norton? I had donated $10 towards its purchase when it was just a twinkle in the founding fathers' eyes, and then found out years later that it basically deteriorated into a drug den and party haven for n'er do wells. I know some people built houses there.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Try the bruderhof's in ny state in the catskills. There is a web site, they are a commune. Actually they have a place right out of Woodstock, ny! They all live together, garden, hike and make their own stuff. They have a place on Platte Clove road in NY state. Town is either Palenville, or near there.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 PM

613 posts, read 1,017,964 times
I think most of the nut jobs are still in the Northeast Kingdom. You might try them.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Default Reality-based references for living in community

The best resources I've studied for real-life considerations to help those considering any type of intentional community:

Diana Leafe Christian, Author of Creating a Life Together and Finding Community

Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM

97 posts, read 383,312 times
Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate all of the input. I'll let you all know what happens, when it happens.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I think it's very, very hard to make an ideal, dream or vision into a workable reality. It can be done, but paradoxically it takes alot of hard work to make your dreams come true.
As far as a bunch of people sharing together, loving each other, etc. --it's hard to make this work in everyday realilty. People have all sorts of idiosyncracies, issues, etc. and when people are in relationship with each other--all of this stuff shows itself up. It won't be like you imagine it to be, but regardless, it might be just an experience you still need to have. My 2 cents.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
The Bruderhof folks are Anabaptist very much like Amish, Mennonites, and the Hutterites (in my area) These hippie types wouldn't be allowed to join any of these groups without completely converting to their strict religions that dictates every aspect of their lives. They are true communists, but only on a multi family level. Most or all of the Hutterite colonies do not allow any of their people to have their own money or possessions at all. everything belongs to the group as a whole. They work their butts off I know that. Our Hutterite Friends have invited us to tour their colony and we will be doing that soon.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Default Article on intentional communities in Times Argus

Living simply provides economic shelter: Times Argus Online

Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,868 times
Many of these comments are funny in how they equate a "commune" with a bunch of people not working, and expecting the bills to get paid somehow. I don't believe the original poster said no one would work, simply that they would help share the burdens of living. The fact that people have done things poorly in the past doesn't mean everyone's going to make the same mistakes they did.

I've been living in a commune for over eight years, and it does not at all represent the stereotypes being tossed around here casually. In fact, we actually require everyone to work! Just like in the rest of the world.

It's funny how we all like tossing around casual stereotypes when talking about "others." Don't you think there's some silly ideas about Vermonters, or whichever other social groups you may belong to, that are wholly unrealistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont