Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM

21 posts, read 80,195 times

Advertisements

Hello once again!

Well, we have checked out Burlington (love it, but can't afford what I would want there, namely the Hill) and South Burlington extensively. I love the area, but it is maybe too "suburban" in S. Burlington. Plus, I am attracted to a more small town feel, but with enough amenities. We have ruled out some other towns up that way. Loved Middlebury, but determined that the commute over the gap in the winter is not something we want to do (my husband will be telecommuting, but need to get to the Boston area periodically for work.)

My good friend in Ripton told me to check out Montpelier. It is closer to my husband's workplace in north central MA by about 1 hour so that is certainly attractive. And it is right off 89. We have not been there yet, but just by research on the web, it seems to have it all...food coop, shops, park, movie theater, summer baseball, coffee places. The schools are rated well, too. Am I missing something here? Does anyone have any feelings that they'd like to share about Montpelier? We would like to find a family-oriented tight community. I realize it has a nickname of "Montpeculiar", but seriously, is it really any more peculiar than some of the stuff I have seen in Burlington? And what is it referring to?

How is the mix between the residential and the commercial? Are you able to walk to town from neighborhoods?

Any information would be appreciated. Of course, we will actually go there, but any of the non-Vermont Life info would be useful. We are trying really hard to separate the fantasy from reality with a move to Vermont.

By the way, we really liked Richmond as well, but thought it might be too sleepy for me. I absolutely love the On the Rise Bakery there, but I have to be realistic of who I really am. I need more of a "mini" bustling town (btw I thought Middlebury was bustling...would go there in a heartbeat, but it is just not as accessible which is important for us at this time.)

So sorry to go on and on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM

894 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Why not just live in western MA? Taxes are less. I'm guessing real estate is cheaper, possible exception of the college towns. Plenty of trees, closer to work, still have a rural winter but not nearly as cold/snowy. Less hassle with driving and snow removal. Better roads. High speed internet and cell coverage is certainly better. Same lefty vibe. VT is real close if you want to visit.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM

245 posts, read 447,998 times
A river runs through it.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Yup, lots of neighborhoods walking distance to downtown. Hubbard Park too.

I lived in the Meadows neighborhood on North Elm St, enjoyed many walks, about 1/2m to the downtown for shopping, errands and the awesome Library. Being the state capitol makes it more interesting than your average town of 8,000.

One recent neg for Montpelier.....the chef and sous chef of Sarducci's are moving and opening, in partnership with a local restauranter, a new italian restaurant on the Sugarbush Access Rd. WaHoo for the MRV!

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-28-2008 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 06:37 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
I personally would not worry about having to drive over the Middlebury Gap during the winter-its a well maintained road that many folks travel daily for commuting. It's not that big of a deal. The only time I would not do it is during a raging snowstorm when you probably would not be out anyway.
Montpelier is about the same size as Middlebury, but instead of having the presense of the college, its got the state house. Hence, Montpeculiar . It's a nice small town. Older housing stock. About 1/2 hour to Burlington in good weather. There is a section of I-89 in Bolton (between Montpelier & Burlington) that tends to get really dicey at times in the winter that slows things up. Also going from Montpelier to White River on I-89 can get a bit dicey in the winter due to the fact that it is high in elevation.
In Montpelier in addition to the downtown shops you've got a JC Penney and Wal-Mart up at the Berlin Mall, a couple miles away. There is also a large grocery store up by the Berlin Mall and a small one right downtown. And YES, there is a McDonalds (LOL), though technically it's in the town of Berlin, about a 1/4 mile from the Montpelier town line.
The New England Culinary Institute is in town which in turn has produced a number of talented chefs who have opted to stay in teh area, so there are quite a few good restaurants. The Hunger Mtn Co-Op is a really nice natural food store if you are into that.
I've heard nothing but good things about the schools. Montpelier High and Union-32 High (a regional school serving the small towns surrounding Montpelier-known around here as U32) have good reputations.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks so much for all the information. We checked it out over the weekend. What a delightful little "city". I am now trying to figure out what neighborhoods are good for families. Also, the taxes are insane in Montpelier, huh. But I totally get it as they have so many more services than the smaller towns in the area.

Does anyone know if there is an area in Montpelier to avoid? Also, after reading people talk about drug problems in Brattleboro, is there a problem in Montpelier? I know there are drugs everywhere and pot doesn't bother me, it would be the scary drugs like heroin.

My husband says it is like I am trying to take my kids back to a town from 30 years ago like when I was a kid. Montpelier seemed a bit more like that.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Yup, Montpelier has the unique situation in that all that state property does not provide any taxable income for the city. Just remember that's it's all tied to vaulation and after your a resident you might qualify for the Homestead deduction which can reduce your property tax bill by as much as 45%.

Montpelier went thru a re-assessment recently and the public outcry over mistakes on many residents assessments they ended up throwing it out the window and are working on a new one.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 AM

Isn't the tax homestead deduction also tied into one's income? I may have misunderstood that. My household income exceeds any deduction at least when I looked at some table online. I may have been looking at the wrong thing, though.

What's crazy is that you need to make a certain amount of money to afford the houses that are currently on sale (200k--350k), but then one's income is too high to get an abatement...but that income is just barely able to pay the mortgage and all the other things. I know a lot of people move out to the communities around Montpelier because you get more for the money and less taxes and then they use Montpelier for their services. I really would like to be a part of the community as a whole, but damn, those taxes and housing prices are high when you consider the salaries in state. My husband would be working remotely and would continue to get a salary that is based on Massachusetts. And yet, that may not be enough. Why is the housing so expensive?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
About 1/2 hour to Burlington in good weather.
I collect speeding tickets like baseball cards, but when people here post driving estimates I feel like I'm the slowest driver in the state.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
It's a little under 40 miles. I guess it depends on how fast you drive like you said
My estimate was based on exit to exit. Downtowon Burlington to Downtown Montpelier would be a bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont