Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times

Advertisements

Which towns in Vermont have the lowest crime rates?

Let me take this a step further: Which towns have the best balance of cosmopolitanism, diversity and things to do on the one hand, and low levels of crime and drug issues on the other?

Somehow, I think crime and drugs are more of an issue in more cosmopolitan towns, but I could be wrong about this. I certainly hope I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 PM

100 posts, read 381,407 times
The entire state has a very low crime rate.

Cosmopolitan is relative to who's evaluating it but Burlington and Brattleboro are probably the hippest places to live

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
What you mean by "hippest"?

What about Middlebury and Montpelier?

What about the Upper Valley?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:21 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,691 times
Upper Valley is nice but there aren't any 'proper' towns IMO. With the exception of Hanover and maybe Norwich. Both expensive. Crime is low, but perhaps a bit more than folks realize, mostly petty stuff. An individuals chances of being a victim might be higher due to the small population, but for the most part I wouldn't worry about it. One experience isn't enough to draw a conclusion from but I find it ironic that we had a car broken into here(once in 3 years) and never had a car broken into in 5 years in Boston.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Things to do is a relative term, isn't it? To me, things to do means wandering around the woods, outdoor stuff, shooting guns off my porch.

Cosmopolitan? Again, I think that is where you look for it. Lot's of people, even out in the country, are well educated, and well traveled. Don't be fooled by the surroundings.

Diversity? What does that mean? What are you looking for. Vermont is a pretty homogeneous place. That's one reason the crime rate is low.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Upper Valley is nice but there aren't any 'proper' towns IMO. With the exception of Hanover and maybe Norwich.
Woodstock, and if you want a smaller town with a lot of students, South Royalton.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
You can can research Vt town crime stats (reported that is) at the Vt Dept of Public Safety website. There is a link to be able to check each town individually and the stats go year by year and break down the numerous offenses.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,580 times
Crime stats are notoriously unreliable,some places report everything -some don't.
I've been told by that the ski towns under state a lot in general.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
What you mean by "hippest"?

What about Middlebury and Montpelier?

What about the Upper Valley?
Middlebury has a nice diversity of people. Quiant college town. I have friends that live in Woodstock. They like it.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
Crime stats are notoriously unreliable,some places report everything -some don't.
I've been told by that the ski towns under state a lot in general.
Very true! I worked in the LE/Justice field over twenty years and not only is it true that a significant amount of offenses go unreported by victims and potential complainants, but jurisdictions also are very creative in skewing numbers. However, most Vermont towns do in fact have very low numbers of criminal incidents which would affect a potential newcomer or existing resident (e.g. robbery, burglary, assault). The majority of violent crimes here occur between parties that are known to each other, so it boils down to the company you keep. It was also pretty much that way when I was working in the city, just there compared to here you needed to maintain an increased safety awareness in public places. The bottom line is that no place is absolutely safe and it is a smart attitude to maintain alert and not to convey a demeanor that would identify yourself as an easy mark or victim. The majority of random criminals are opportunists and select their targets based upon apparent weakness or ease. Common sense goes a long way and if something or someone does not seem right trust your instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont