Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:22 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times

Advertisements

Hi, as I am sure you have already deduced, I am on a few Councils and Boards re: DV/SA and a task force. One of the items on "our" agenda is a DV registry. There is, and I believe it is in Ohio proposed legislation to have a different color license plate for offenders....don't know if it will pass....I think it is a terrific idea, especially for a repeat offender.

RE: Civil confinement ( protection/commitment) bill is reintroduced to our legislation for sex offenders...I think that once that goes through, if it does, it should piggy -back with DV. As a matter of fact, there is a Senator currently working industriously re: DV and this would be the time to present this concept to him since he/committee is working so hard to dissect all the components of domestic violence. Interesting to note is that Senator Sears also stressed, in our meeting, how important he believes it is to begin early in childhood and help to break the pattern.......

Thanks! for engaging in such an important issue. Perhaps this will help others of the importance of addressing domestic violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 02:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
The importance of these issues cannot possibly be overstated.

On a lighter note, though, it took a long time for this thread to take off. Maybe that will give hope to people who start threads and get no replies for a while. It's happened to me lots of times.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Default DV and other stuff

You are right....and if this brings this crisis to the forefront, great!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,395 times
Kids, not oil or bad Tv, are this countries greatest natural resource. Unfortunately SugarMaple, the people needing the type of enlightenment you speak of probably arent interested in it.
Sad isnt it ?

Old 03-26-2007, 05:58 PM

I concur, children are our greatest natural resource...one way, hopefully, enlightenment will come will be through education and accountability.

Thanks for you response.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 23,592 times
I think they are the usual suspects, e.g. poverty, economic pressure, lack of education, sexism, abusive family backgrounds, alcohol and drug addiction, etc. Also a lack of opportunity in the state as a whole. When you have generations of families that have been is the same place, same state of mind, and have seen their families do the same things, with the fear to strike out of that comfort zone, these are things that you get. Like cabin fever, you get it, because it is expected, due to weather and what your family has been doing for years. Look at Alaska, they deal with many of the same problems. If Vermont law makers, would open their eyes and see that there is far more out here than keeping the state beautiful (and it is) they would look at making money for the schools, and making money for programs that are needed, and helping people in this state that need it and this would turn many of the problems around...

Old 03-31-2007, 04:19 PM

89 posts, read 317,275 times
They even protect the whereabouts and identities of sexual predators in VT. But firearm carry in VT is easier, so I guess it equals out!!

Old 03-31-2007, 05:34 PM

Anyone has access to the Vermont sex offender registry; it is designated by counties and when you are on-line, you will see the town they live in, their name(s), offenses and their pictures...whether they are in compliance or not, etc. And, if they are still under supervision, it gives the number of the Probation/Service agency which supervises. VT is working hard on this issue; as well, there is current legislation being reviewed/discussed re: civil confinement. VT is not taking this lightly at all.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 AM

89 posts, read 317,275 times
I am glad to here that, I will try finding it again. The only info I could find earlier just gave the number of offenders for a particular county. Not any other info especially on where they live. Don't want to move next door to one if we do move there. I have four boys from 23yrs to 18 months. i am very toleranate of most things but sexual predators (especially child molesters) I have zero tolerance for.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 AM

In addition to reviewing the offender registry, you can always contact the police department and/or state trooper barracks in that area for information as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: