Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,507,396 times

Advertisements

When I move to Vermont next month (more like in a few weeks) I will probably be putting a lot of stuff into storage, at least temporarily.

I have been reading up online on storage options and things to look for at facilities. I'm wondering if there are any special issues related to Vermont's long, cold winters.

Also,m does anyone have recommendations about what to look for, what to avoid, and what to pay extra for? Is it generally the case that warehouse storage is more secure, more dry and less vulnerable to vermin than self-storage is? Self-storage is convenient in terms of access, but that advantage is offset if bugs, mice and whatever else can get in.

What would be reasonable rent?

Finally, does anyone have any experiences with and/or opinions about specific storage facilities in southeastern Vermont? Obviously, I would like my facility to be in Brattleboro, or as close as possible, but I'd consider places up to 20-30 minutes away, including in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I know you can't trash anyone on this forum, but I would imagine it is ok to make recommendations or to describe experiences.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,863,686 times
As with any business you should physically check out self storage places and shop around. If you are storing items which could be heat, cold, or humidity sensitive, then get a place that is climate controlled. Even with climate controlled facilities it would be a good idea to pack items into Rubbermaid containers as this will protect your items not to mention allowing you to better stack, organize, and label containers in the event you need to periodically get something out of storage. Personally, I would never store high value or irreplaceable items in commercial storage unless the place has definite secure access to the facility itself. There are many facilities which do have good security and some with on-site staff as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,044,555 times
Here's what I learned about storage over the years-whenever I thought I needed to store something, I put it into a storage unit we rent. Other than Christmas decorations, everything that went into storage made a one way trip.

We put stuff into storage, but never took it out. I think a lot of people do that.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM

105 posts, read 358,381 times
I've had stuff (furniture, file boxes full of paper, photos, fabric, rugs,toys, dishes) in a storage unit in Brattleboro since 2001 w/o any damage to anything. I even have 2 antique desks and rocker in there w/o any problems. You're not likely to find much climate-control units around here.

Quote:
We put stuff into storage, but never took it out. I think a lot of people do that.
LOL, sounds like me Hopefully, I'll be cleaning out most of the furniture when we finishing building our house and storing the rest in our cellar.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,507,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocky View Post
I've had stuff (furniture, file boxes full of paper, photos, fabric, rugs,toys, dishes) in a storage unit in Brattleboro since 2001 w/o any damage to anything. I even have 2 antique desks and rocker in there w/o any problems. You're not likely to find much climate-control units around here.

LOL, sounds like me Hopefully, I'll be cleaning out most of the furniture when we finishing building our house and storing the rest in our cellar.

Did you use warehouse storage or self-storage? Did you use Bolster Crofter, Casey's or some other place?

For self-storage, people have recommended Casey's, and also Key-Gots in Guilford. Any feedback on these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont