Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,535,353 times

Advertisements

I am going to give you some good advise and you wont want to hear it. VT is not the state, I moved to Plattsburg NY, thinking the same reasons why you left NJ. My husband is a top notch auto mechanic with 24 years experience. Now we are talking, electronic, putting together whole dashboards, computers, airbags, everything and think how complicated cars are! He was offered 12 dollars an hour with no benefits!! That was a good job!!! Its a pipe dream, ohh yes taxes will be alittle less, but not gas, and you damn well drive alot, not groceries and really you pay goes way down. Now you need health insurance thats 1250 for you and your wife!! Think about it! I did it, it sucked and it was great on vacations but living there was not what I expected at all. We moved back husband is back to 35 an hours with full health insurance for both!! also think of heating this will run you damn broke! The one bright side is the people, I made life long friends and never really managed that in NJ! We moved to western NJ we came from Bergen county thinking the exact reasons you did. Next time pick a state with alot of opportunites, we picked the wrong location to move. VT is not the state. Great for vacation but living there full time is a whole different package. Its tough, money runs out the window, and not cheap at all!! I seriously think you should try something different. Just my opinion but get the jobs first then move. We thought ohh how hard could it be, well conditions of some of the places and like someone once said vt has a slave workforce, people need jobs so basically you gotta shut up and take crap. Its a land of non realism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
Just for reference to the OP, Plattsburg, NY is just across Lake Champlain (to the north and west of Burlington).

Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,966,877 times
We live in NYC and live in a 1400 square foot house on a 55x100 lot and pay about the same in taxes as you do (I think we're at $4800 for this year). Planning on moving to VT, and I am expecting that we will be paying at least that much, if not more, in property taxes.

It really depends on where you end up and how often they've re-appraised...if you're closer to a resort/tourist area, taxes will be much higher.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 105,825 times
Our appraised value is $215,000. Of course the selling values is much higher. So I guess it's just about the same as NJ. That is a bit discouraging, but as much as we love VT, we will research and find the best place for us in VT. Thanx for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Yup, your taxes in NJ would be just about the same as what you would pay in my town for a similar valued property. Almost all of it goes to education. We do not have a paid police dept (our coverage is from the State Police), fire dept (volunteer), public works(we have no sewer or water-everyone has private wells and septic), trash pick up (done by private haulers) etc. We have a town clerk and a couple very part time assistants and a couple highway guys.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM

I have been scanning through some of the other threads on this site. I see that true Vermonters blame outsiders (flatlanders) for ruining their state. I guess VT is very Liberal now, huh?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Vermont was a conservative state up until the mid-60s. Then the interstates came in and made it easier for folks to travel and Vermont was "discovered" by those from more urban areas. After that, the state changed from predominatly conservative to predominately liberal.
I don't blame "flatlanders" per say, but the migration of those from more urban areas (where things tend to be more liberal) certainly changed the political landscape of Vermont. There are still quite a few conservative folks here. We're not all hippy dippy liberals. I would also add that Vermont conservatives in general lean more to the middle-are more moderate than "right". There is a really interesting book written by Chris Graff (can't remember the title) about the history of VT politics from the 60s until today. A very good read if the topic is of interst to you. Mr. Graff was in charge of the AP bureau in Montpelier up until a couple years ago.
I was born and raised here. My Vermont roots go waaaay back on my mothers side. My dad was a flatlander-oh the horror!
Some of my best friends I have (besides the ones I grew up with) that I've met in my adult life are those so called "flatlanders" lol.
The types of people from away who give a negative impression on folks here are those that come with an agenda, get involved in town politics right away, who are very vocal with their political beliefs, etc. They are immediately labeled as someone trying to change the way of life here to something similar as to what was left behind. We value our rural lifesyle and slow pace of life.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 AM

liberal where have you been??? Actually I think the biggest problem in VT will become getting more police how they gonna pay? I see VT a mess a potilical mess, honestly I am not putting vt down, its better than Plattsburgh that was the worst!! I would take anywhere in VT over plattsburgh!!! I guess if there is a will there is a way, you will make it. I could have made it in Bad Plattsburgh, I got actually a good job in social services, that shows you what they need!!! Lets just say I did not expect the poverty level, I mean I dont think VT is as poor as that bad adirondack area, so at least your on the right side of the lake!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Just for reference to the OP, Plattsburg, NY is just across Lake Champlain (to the north and west of Burlington).
thanks mod, and vt is the right side of the lake!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
liberal where have you been???
I really don't get involved with Politics nor Religion, but I am a Conservative. Yes, a Conservative. I want to live in Vermont because of the beauty of the land I see there. I don't want to change anything except my address. I've been poor before, and I overcame that. I am far from rich though. I have my health, a good wife, and a will to survive, and not afraid to work. If I can find any. That's pretty much it. LOL
I've been to Marshfield, Chester, Northfield, Montpelier, Burlington, and to far North. Marshfield and Northfield are my favorite areas so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont