Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 104,203 times

Advertisements

We currently live in NJ. We visit VT many times a year. Mostly we stay at the Hollister Hill Farm in Marshfield. The owners are very nice and we feel like family when we are there. Our plan is to sell our home in Freehold, NJ, then move into my late Mom's house also in NJ for two years to avoid paying Capital gains on it. The house belongs to me and my sister. While we are living there we will search for a home in VT. We also like the Chester area. While Marshfield area is beautiful, we would like something on the outskirts of a town area. We will have to work as we are not rich, LOL. Not looking for a lot of property, maybe 2 acres, and not a real big house. We don't need much, we are simple people that aren't materialistic. We will have no mortgage when we finally make our move due to sale of the two homes here. Do any of you have any advice. Don't tell me to stay home We love VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Go for it. Chester might not be the best area for finding work.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM

My wife has a background in clerical in Law enforcement, I am a welder/fabricator-fork-lift mechanic now. My wife will work full time, I might be able to get away with part time. Wouldn't even mind a bit of a drive for work. It doesn't have to be Chester. I just feel that Chester has that nice neighborhood feel to it. I am sure there many other areas just like that in Vermont, maybe closer to work for my wife.
Burlington is too rush-rush for us. We like the more simple life areas. Not crazy about big box stores either. We like the little man kind of businesses.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 PM

I'd suggest the Upper Valley. Tons of small towns to pick from. Relatively easy commute to NH(more jobs). Dartmouth is one of VT's largest employers. Beware, I'd guess law enforcement clerical work probably pays 11-12 bucks an hour in VT.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Also beware that law enforcement budgets are very lean up here and there are very few positions when compared to other jurisdictions. Another current issue involves the current state of economic affairs here, meaning initial job and position losses through attrition and eventually it will come to layoffs. There are countless numbers of folks that have to settle for any kind of work and literally can spend years going through the application process trying to gain employment in areas that they have experience, matching education, or both. Now when the day comes that the multitude of school staff starts to be trimmed by attrition or even pink slips, then you can rest assured that we will have reached rock bottom, but before that happens the state will ensure every last potential revenue dollar will have been garnered by whatever means possible, even if it means further increasing the plight of those who are already on the edge. The bottom line is that if at all possible attempt to secure employment before committing large sums of money into where you will live.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 AM

$11-12? People actually live on that in VT? You could never survive in NJ with that little of a salary.
Yes, finding employment first would be a smart move. Unless of course I retire first. Then I could just work for a lesser salary. Heath benefits and taxes would be our major expenses. Don't need much. Much different here in NJ, very expensive to live. Taxes, housing, insurance, over crowded! You name it. Just can't take much more.
Our tax dollars go to the Politicians and school administrators salaries which are in the $150,000 mark.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 AM

School employees don't make big money up here but there are lots of em, and the taxes to pay for them. There have been folks on this board from NJ that have reported their COL in VT to be equivalent to NJ. Come on up if you want but be forewarned it is expensive and poor. And poverty trickles up.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
kSalaries up here are MUCH LOWER than urban areas. You're really going to need to do your research. Housing costs may seem cheap at first glance, but keep in mind that salaries have not kept up with housing costs-finding employment with a good salary may not be that easy. Remember, this is a small state with a small economy, so there are not tons of jobs out there. Property taxes are high, winter heating costs are high, then there are the rest of your utilities and general upkeep of your property. Living here is MUCH different than visiting-just make sure you do a LOT of research so you're not coming up here with rose colored glasses on. If you can make it work for you, and can adjust to a rural lifestyle (be prepared for major culture shock) than Vermont is a wonderful place to live.
As noted above, the Upper Valley is a good area to look for employment, the other is the greater Burlington area.
Regarding cost of living, I lived in the Boston area for 6 years and my COL up here is just about the same. Some things are cheaper, some things not. It all comes out in the wash.
Good luck!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Property taxes are high
I keep hearing that the taxes are high. Can someone give me an example of high? My property here is just about 7500 square feet, I have an 1100 square foot home, and I pay $4600 a year. Should I expect to pay that in VT too? If that's the case, I do have some research to do. Are some areas cheaper for taxes than others?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
What is your home assessed for in NJ? As an example, a home valued at $300K in my town would have a yearly property tax bill of around $5600.
Here is a good website that explains the taxes: http://www.vermontrealestatetoday.co...operty%20taxes
We just got our tax bill..is $4200 for a 1200 sf house on 5 acres. Our town has not gone through a re-appraisal in quite a few years, and most likely, our assessed value is much lower than reality at this time. I know we could sell our house for more than the appraised value, even in this economy. Our town is due for a town-wide re-appraisal. When that happens, I expect that our taxes will take a jump.
Also, take heed about what people are telling you about salaries...I took a 10K pay cut when I moved back up here, but it was worth it to me, as I can still make a go of it.
That said, if you're household income is under a certain level, you can get a break on the taxes.
I love living here (born and raised here as well) and the high COL is worth it to me. To others, its not. I hope my posts don't sound discouraging...it's just that many, many people move up here after visiting and "falling in love" without doing the proper research, and end up going back home in the end.

Last edited by vter; 08-30-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont