Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
LI ain't that bad. Everywhere but the shoreline is unattractive anyway flat sandy pine barrens. Not much to look at might as well build stuff. Opposition to stuff like the country club in Calverton amazes me. Why not build it it is just an empty, ugly old military airport. The neighbors won't let it function as an airport so build a country club. Or a racetrack, nevermind that won't happen again.
You haven't heard the latest, I presume. They want to turn the Grumman property in Calverton into an enclosed Ski Mountain.

I wish I had what they were smoking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You haven't heard the latest, I presume. They want to turn the Grumman property in Calverton into an enclosed Ski Mountain.

I wish I had what they were smoking!
Why not? Bet the snow will be better than Bald Hill ever was. That will only be part of it. the rest is supposed to be nice with green space and hiking trails and such. Being a pilot I hate to see another airport go but as long as Brookhaven and Islip are open it isn't needed. What is the alternative to an indoor ski area? the place is just a bunch of empty buildings now. Mothballing for the next cold war would be a possibility but I doubt that will happen so someone should build stuff there.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
Consider what you have said; flatlanders have moved in because they've been pushed out of where they come from by too much building. HMMMMM And Vermonters are supposed to be happy to see you come overbuild here????? I DON'T THINK SO.

I'm a flatlander, and I love this state for the most part. I've NEVER had anyone snub me that belongs here. The people I love most here are ones whose families were here for generations. But then, I don't have an attitude that I'm better, or too well dressed to fit in, or might have better ideas how to run this state.

I fit in quite well.
FYI, my new home was built by a Vermonter. This house sat vacant for about two years because a local couldn't afford it or didn't want it. Is that my fault? NO! We also bought the 12 acres next to us because the person trying to buy it was going to knock down the old barn that was part of the original farm. If locals feel that strong about not wanting outsiders to move in, then they should pool all their money and buy all the land for sale. Remember, we are purchasing it from locals. Locals have to accept that nothing stays the same. Such is life. We all get old and someday we will die. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when it's going to happen. With a total of 600,000 residents living in this state, I would think there is not to much overbuilding happening here.
I don't have an attitude that I'm better then anyone, but I am equal. I think I have some good ideas how to run this state, but no one would listen so I keep them to myself.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM

OMG!!!! We just got back from an hour long visit (much to long) to Long Island!! I can not believe how much it has changed in one year. I think my daughter and mother-in-law are the only white people left on that Island. Where have all the white people gone? I can't believe all the mexicans standing on the streets and being picked up and dropped off in vans. The local gov't down there turns their heads and acts like they don't see it.
When I got on the LI expressway, I saw all the Lexus and Mercedes SUVs...you know, the gas guzzlers with one person in them. They are paying at least a dollar more per gallon in gas then we are. My husband went to a few gas stations and no one spoke English.
The beauty that Long Island had years ago is gone forever. Thanks to all those greedy politicians filling their pockets at the taxpayers expense.
I hate to disappoint all the native Vters but this flatlander will be staying in Vermont for a long time.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:42 AM

I'm calling a flag on this play. (It's Sunday, it's football season LOL)

Where about were you? You were not in my neck of the woods -- that's for sure.

Remember that for people unfamiliar with LI, those individuals will believe that the entire island is an illegal/Mexican haven. That couldn't be further from the truth. It would be like saying all of Vermont was like Manchester, Burlington or Springfield. We know that isn't true.

I can assure you that Kings Park, Smithtown, St James, Stony Brook, Port Jefferson (Village, not Station), Mount Sinai, Miller Place (as well as scores of other towns) are not the illegal immigrant haven you've painted the island to be.

I am back and forth to VT frequently and the price of gas is consistently 40 cents higher in my area on LI than in VT. I've never noticed $1. Maybe the folks closer in to the city are paying that much more, but in northern Suffolk we aren't.

Parts of the town of Huntington have problems, Westbury is being overrun (there's a poster on the LI section of the NY Forum who will aver to that) and Farmingville is largely populated by such. Tensions there seem to have calmed down. Centereach has several bodegas and iglesias, so we can see the start there. There are other communities which have been poor and run down for as long as I can remember and several of them are becoming more populated by Hispanics. Communities such as Brentwood were always largely Hispanic.

As for high end luxury vehicles -- where there is money, there will be people flaunting it. Personally, I don't agree with the conspicuous consumerism and don't drive such things.

I will agree that local government has done absolutely nothing. Our county executive, Steve Levy, has tried to protest against the state and their pandering, only to be told that the state would withhold our portion of sales tax revenues!

People in Vermont have to watch for the influx of illegal day laborers in the more affluent communities. As soon as they arrive, they will send word and the floodgates will open. As we've seen in other posts and in the news, the drug trade is insidiously imbedding itself into small rural areas of VT. Some areas on LI are seeing increases in organized gangs such as MS-13 -- it's a matter of time and lax laws in VT before we see it happen there. In other words -- VT has time and should make the most of it before you see a bunch of Spanish speaking men standing on the corners of busy intersections soliciting work. I pray that never happens. There are too many hard working Vermonters struggling to get by, and to be undercut by illegals is the ultimate slap on the face.

When the day comes and I leave LI forever, my departure will have been brought about by several things (in no particular order) successfully moving my business to VT, insane tax increases on LI, my children having moved off LI, continued widespread overdevelopment, finding a comparable school district in VT to that which I have on LI, LI being overrun by illegals and gangs, corrupt politics.

This Flatlander loves Vermont too much to have LI's troubles and mistakes become VT's problems, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm calling a flag on this play. (It's Sunday, it's football season LOL)

Where about were you? You were not in my neck of the woods -- that's for sure.

Remember that for people unfamiliar with LI, those individuals will believe that the entire island is an illegal/Mexican haven. That couldn't be further from the truth. It would be like saying all of Vermont was like Manchester, Burlington or Springfield. We know that isn't true.

I can assure you that Kings Park, Smithtown, St James, Stony Brook, Port Jefferson (Village, not Station), Mount Sinai, Miller Place (as well as scores of other towns) are not the illegal immigrant haven you've painted the island to be.

I am back and forth to VT frequently and the price of gas is consistently 40 cents higher in my area on LI than in VT. I've never noticed $1. Maybe the folks closer in to the city are paying that much more, but in northern Suffolk we aren't.

Parts of the town of Huntington have problems, Westbury is being overrun (there's a poster on the LI section of the NY Forum who will aver to that) and Farmingville is largely populated by such. Tensions there seem to have calmed down. Centereach has several bodegas and iglesias, so we can see the start there. There are other communities which have been poor and run down for as long as I can remember and several of them are becoming more populated by Hispanics. Communities such as Brentwood were always largely Hispanic.

As for high end luxury vehicles -- where there is money, there will be people flaunting it. Personally, I don't agree with the conspicuous consumerism and don't drive such things.

I will agree that local government has done absolutely nothing. Our county executive, Steve Levy, has tried to protest against the state and their pandering, only to be told that the state would withhold our portion of sales tax revenues!

People in Vermont have to watch for the influx of illegal day laborers in the more affluent communities. As soon as they arrive, they will send word and the floodgates will open. As we've seen in other posts and in the news, the drug trade is insidiously imbedding itself into small rural areas of VT. Some areas on LI are seeing increases in organized gangs such as MS-13 -- it's a matter of time and lax laws in VT before we see it happen there. In other words -- VT has time and should make the most of it before you see a bunch of Spanish speaking men standing on the corners of busy intersections soliciting work. I pray that never happens. There are too many hard working Vermonters struggling to get by, and to be undercut by illegals is the ultimate slap on the face.

When the day comes and I leave LI forever, my departure will have been brought about by several things (in no particular order) successfully moving my business to VT, insane tax increases on LI, my children having moved off LI, continued widespread overdevelopment, finding a comparable school district in VT to that which I have on LI, LI being overrun by illegals and gangs, corrupt politics.

This Flatlander loves Vermont too much to have LI's troubles and mistakes become VT's problems, too.
No, I definitely wasn't in your neck of the woods....I would compare where you are to Woodstock or Manchester here. I could only imagine what Route 347 near the Mall is like these days.
I should have stated it clearer that I wasn't just talking about Mexicans but all minorities. I was surprised to see that whites seem to be the minority in areas like the LI Expressway. LOL
Why would only affluent communities in VT have to worry about the influx of illegals? This is a nationwide problem that every class must be concerned about!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
No, I definitely wasn't in your neck of the woods....I would compare where you are to Woodstock or Manchester here. I could only imagine what Route 347 near the Mall is like these days.
I should have stated it clearer that I wasn't just talking about Mexicans but all minorities. I was surprised to see that whites seem to be the minority in areas like the LI Expressway. LOL
Why would only affluent communities in VT have to worry about the influx of illegals? This is a nationwide problem that every class must be concerned about!

I'd say my area is more Woodstock than Manchester; we don't have the outlets that Manchester has.

When was the last time you were by 347 & the mall? To bring you to date (if it has been more than 3 years): They are throwing up (yes -- wham bam construction) high end condos where the golf course was, tore down Sports Plus for a Whole Foods? and LA Fitness, and on the field that was on the NW side of 347 & Moriches are McMansions builtthisclose together. KMart is gone -- torn down -- and a huge Lowes stands in it's place. Traffic -- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

As for all minorities (or as politicians say "diversity") this is becoming the norm. More people are following their families out onto LI, just like people did decades ago. Only now we are seeing more Asian, Indian, Latin American and Arab people as opposed to white. I live near a huge university and I have an amazing blend of neighbors, most of whom are with the university. I have neighbors from Japan, China, Poland, France, Croatia, Africa, Australia...it has been a fantastic experience for my children as opposed to the very white, segregated school and neighborhood experience I had growing up. As someone who is 1/2 white and 1/2 Hispanic, I experienced my mother being subjected to racial slurs and my sister and I were left out of activities with the other little white kids. Forget the fact that I am the color of mayonnaise and have an Irish name.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you had written; when you mentioned men on the street corners looking for work, down here, people take that to mean illegal immigrant day laborers.

To clarify my response about affluent areas and illegals -- the areas in which the residents do not do their own yard maintenance are the ones where landscapers bring in crews. You might not have been on the Island long enough to appreciate the number of landscapers who have all illegal immigrant crews. When the affluent hire these crews, it gives the men a job, and with a job comes the need for a place to live. They won't live in an affluent area, but will settle into the towns where rent is cheaper, main roads accessible and needs such as groceries and money wiring services can be found. Vermonters who work hard are going to find themselves losing jobs to these men who will accept less pay.

There are posts on a local news board about the JC Penney store in a few malls (Sears, too) making announcements in Spanish ONLY. Bilingual is OK, but Spanish only?

It is hard to be objective when this seeps into your way of life. I don't blame you for wanting to stay in VT

Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,011 times
Guys...lets try to stay on topic plz This thread is about "Flatlanders" vs. "natives"...not LI or illegals.
Don't hate me, just trying to do my job

Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,861,593 times
Yeah, when the ball gets rolling rolling concerning NYC and Long Island there are a lot of feelings involved. Have to remember that a good part of the population of Vermont hails from that region and a sizeable number of our second home owners, hence sources of revenue, are from there as well. Can't resist, but yes, every visit I take back there it feels more and more alien (excuse the pun). However, I'm sure Sands Point, is still as stable as it was was when I lived back there (not Sands Point for living, but just going through, but then most of you ex or current LI folks probably knew that).

Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Guys...lets try to stay on topic plz This thread is about "Flatlanders" vs. "natives"...not LI or illegals.
Don't hate me, just trying to do my job

I am sorry VTer. I don't hate you. This is not the place to discuss LI and thanks for putting a stop to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont