Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,882 times

Advertisements

I am very sorry for your loss. It's one of the cruelties of life that we outlive our pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
So sorry for your loss....I have lost 5 cats over the years, it's never easy. As you already know the pain in your heart will turn to happy memories of the many special moments you shared and your tears will become smiles and all those happy sweet memories will last a lifetime.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,522,974 times
wonderful mommy is the word!! I have never seen an owner take such good care of an animal. I dont think I could have done what you have done. You will heal and your terrific and strong and I love your stories and am proud of you! Your a survivor and one tough cookie.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,501,045 times
Thank you.

I don't feel so tough.

And I keep wondering if the boarding, the long trip up and the move to a new home were too much for Sammy. His last 2 months on earth were spent in cages and in a strange new house. And I wish I had started treatment for him earlier. But it's all moot now. I can't go back in time. And, if I could, I don't know if the outcome would have been any different.

The grief comes in waves. Most of the time I am ok.

Anyway, I took Kasha to the vet yesterday to get her checked out after a few asthma-like attacks. The vet said she needs no medication right now. But the technician found some flea dirt on her. FLEA DIRT? On MY kitty? The vet said maybe the fleas were from the previous tenant. Flea eggs can live a long time. And maybe Kasha's attacks were in reaction to the flea dirt. Well, Kasha got the Advantage treatment. Then I had to bring my other two cats to the vet to be weighed, so they could get approprate doses of their own. Then I had to put it on them, which is harder than it looked when the vet put it on Kasha and showed me how to do it.

I had itchy ankles last night, and I can't help but think that the fleas are going after me now. I don't like that, but at least that means that the cats are no longer so appetizing.

Yesterday afternoon I saw a movie at the Latchis Theater about the politics of Lyme disease. It's called Under our Skins, and it highlights the corruption of our medical system and its staggering human cost. There may be another side to the story, of course, but this film was extremely moving and disturbing. There was a discussion afterwards, with a doctor and a science journalist answering questions from the audience. Questions tended to focus on medical issues. Then I went to another theater and saw a live performance of "transformational theater", with lots of dance, drama and music. It was about gratitude and respect for nature.

These were the first times that I actually went out to the theater since I have moved up to Brattleboro.

Friday I saw a naturopath, who, I think, will be my primary care doctor. In Vemont, naturopaths are licensed and insurance must accept them as primary care providers. In New York, I don't think they can be licensed.

The naturopath's office was in a very rural area in Putney. It was beautiful, but she admitted there are lots of fisher cats there, and also wolves. If I lived in such an area, and Molly ran out of the house like she did recently, she would have been killed in a heartbeat by predatory wildlife.

I feel a little wimpy living in town, but I really like the convenience. And I don't want to worry about fisher cats killing my pets. I think I am getting used to driving on dark rural roads, so that is less of an issue now. But convenience and cat safety are definitely major issues.

Afterwards, I treated myself to dinner at the Front Porch Cafe. Expensive, but yummy. And there was a very welcoming ambience there. I can't wait to see it during the holidays.

Tonight I am going out to dinner with a friend and then we are going to a chamber music concert.

Tomorrow I look at a couple of houses and see my new chiropractor.

Brattleboro, southern Vermont and Vermont in general are such a special places. I am so glad I moved up here and made this my adopted state. I'm proud to be a Vermonter. I still have my Brooklyn accent, though, but so does Bernie Sanders.

My biggest challenge still lies in front of me: making a decent living.

But at least I can start working without worrying about a very sick cat at home and worryng about the potential disruption his illness could cause to a new job.

Last edited by arel; 11-16-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 06:10 PM

Well, no concert tonight. I goofed. The concert was at 4pm.

We ate at an Indian restaurant. I treated my friend.

I also got to take home the leftovers.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

The naturopath's office was in a very rural area in Putney. It was beautiful, but she admitted there are lots of fisher cats there, and also wolves. If I lived in such an area, and Molly ran out of the house like she did recently, she would have been killed in a heartbeat by predatory wildlife.

I
Like a few coments in previous posts you are letting your imagination get the best of you. As far as I know there are no wolves in Vermont and the idea that a cat would be killed in a "heartbeat by predatary wildlife" is simply not true.

There are lots of cats all over Vermont and pretty much everywhere else that enjoy the outdoors, yes a very small number might be taken by wildlife, usually at night. But the idea of instant death if they step outdoors is crazytown.

I live of on a quiet dirt road with bears, fishers and the other indiginous wildlife and no cats in the neighborhood have ever been taken in the 12 years I have lived here. Even a city cat still has instincts that serves them well being outdoors. Again, it does happen but not like the way you are thinking it does.

Where is this nuropath from, how long in Vermont? I would assume she has never hunted and I would dare say she wouldn't know a wolf if she tripped over over one. Alot of domastic dogs and well fed coyotes are often mistaken for wolves. You need to filter the info you get.
http://www.gobacktothebasics.com/inf...ndack_wolf.htm
There is a controversy in Rutland that a wolf was shot and killed but it depends on which report you read on whether it really was one or not.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 11-16-2008 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM

I hope you are right.

It was the doctor who said there were wolves. I admit I was a little surprised to hear that.

I'm new in town so I try not to assume anything or to second guess anyone.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I hope you are right.

It was the doctor who said there were wolves. I admit I was a little surprised to hear that.

I'm new in town so I try not to assume anything or to second guess anyone.
It's not my opinion...on the website I linked in my above post wildlife experts state that there are no wolves in the Daks, Vermont, Maine or NH. knowledge is power, it has some very good basic info about wolves in the region. I just googled "wolves in Vermont" to confirm what I already knew.

About 100,000 hunters take to the woods of Vermont. If there were wolves they would know it and it would be front page news.

You have a wonderful resource with the facts about just about anything at your fingertips, the internet. There is a state park in Bratt, there are game wardens. A quick call to these friendly and informed officials would give you the facts about wolves and about cats going outside.

I hope your doctor knows medicine better than she knows about Vermont wildlife. Not to be too harsh, causing a patient undo anxiety with misinformation is very unprofessional IMHO.

Be proactive on getting the correct info you need to help you with this transition your attempting.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 PM

I checked out the website you listed.

Frankly, I'm most cncerned bout fisher cats. I'm not too thrilled about bears in my yard, either.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 9,451 times
Arel:

First time posting here. I Googled Vermont FAQ and happened upon this site and your thread. I started reading about Sammy and was heartbroken when I found out what happened. I have a super-soft spot for kitties. I lost a beloved cat two years ago and it still hurts when I see his picture. I just wanted to say that I am so sorry and truly understand what it feels like. I have two cats, one of them is in his early teens and I fear of losing him in the next few years.

Congrats on your Vermont move. My wife and I recently decided to make moving to VT a goal for the future, hence my reasoning for Googling VT FAQs. We've been living in Ohio our entire lives and would like a change of scenery - literally and not-so literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont